Cloudburst founder Steve Luke talks about his "FUCK AB-INBEV" t-shirt with Josh Noel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by poisoneddwarf, Oct 8, 2018.

1. poisoneddwarf

poisoneddwarf Disciple (383) Mar 26, 2010 Idaho

https://www.joshnoel.net/blog/2018/10/5/cloudburst-brewing-seattle-abi-tshirt

What do the ABI apologists/fans/defenders/disruptors/whatever think of this?

2. Shanex

Shanex Champion (832) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

I don't really mind. I'm not offended because he is using a cuss word.

Regarding ABinBev - not everybody like a 'monopoly' over a whole industry. Discussed to death here before.

3. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (244) Dec 14, 2016 California

"because for me — and I hope for you — it’s about what’s in the glass, not about the corporate structure of the people behind it.”

Your hope is misplaced, sir.

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,921) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I'm going to stick with "if the beer is good I'll buy it". But here's the rub, will it be? Josh claims that Space Dust no longer tastes like it used to. I imagine he's right. I like Wicked Weed beers for now, bu if they go downhill I won't buy them anymore.

redeemer, PatrickCT, thebeers and 5 others like this.
  5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,977) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I think it's a waste of my time to think about AB-Inbev.

6. seahawksandbassguitar

seahawksandbassguitar Initiate (95) Jan 12, 2016 Washington

Cloudburst is my favorite brewery here in Seattle.

7. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Agreed.

Squire likes this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,452) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Jeez, he really went out on a limb, there :wink:.

9. poisoneddwarf

Not to be melodramatic or anything, but I'm sure ABI appreciates that type of sentiment among beer lovers. If you're not going to jump in with full support for them, indifference is the next best thing. Assimilate!

Ale_Jedi, RLVineh, RobNewton and 3 others like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,568) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, by this logic it's also the case that if someone doesn't jump in with full support for craft brewers indifference is the next best thing and it will also be appreciated by craft brewers.

PatrickCT likes this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,113) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

"Built to sell", catchy phrase. The business plan of quite a few breweries out there, I'm guessing.

Edit: Maybe the breweries bought by the big boys can put that on their products to counter the Independent seal. :wink:

12. MNAle

MNAle Savant (978) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

I've grown increasing weary of the "craft beer is a cause, we are the army for the cause, big beer is the enemy, you're either with us or against us, and you have to pass a purity test to be with us" discussions.

13. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (45) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Grow up

RobNewton likes this.
  14. poisoneddwarf

Not sure if you're talking about me or these former Elysian brewers at Cloudburst who've seen firsthand what happens when a company like ABI overtakes the company you work for and start changing things for the worst. Or maybe you mean Josh Noel, the author of Barrel Aged Stout and Selling Out? We're all saying the same thing here, so....

15. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (471) May 3, 2016 Illinois

Maybe their anger should be directed at the Elysian guys who sold the company...

If they want to wear an F-Inbev shirt around Seattle more power to them...GABF just seemed to be the wrong venue for that. It was an industry event and not the place for having a playground tantrum...Cloudburst should get a year or two ban for it in my opinion. What is the barrel limit going to be for disparaging other breweries at these events going forth? Are we going to attack Constellation and Heineken? How about larger craft like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and New Belgium? Totally classless move by Cloudburst.

16. poisoneddwarf

Maybe it's classless, but sometimes that's what it takes to get people's attention, and to keep that attention. The punk rock ethos that Elysian used to take pride in (ie. Corporate Beer Sucks) was founded upon being classless. That's why we remember that spirit and attitude today. In regards to their anger being directed at the Elysian guys who sold the company, I'm sure there's no love lost between them either.

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (471) May 3, 2016 Illinois

I'll have to tell my kids that. "Next time your mom asks you to stop throwing a tantrum on the floor and being a big baby, just tell her it's your rebel punk ethos..."

18. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (704) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Premium Trader

I forget what comedian said putting the word ‘fuck’ in front of whatever you didn’t like was the lazy man’s protest.

19. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I think the guy knows how to pander to his target audience.

Other than that, he's an attention whoring moron, as most craft breweries are worse for craft beer than is ABInBev.

20. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (268) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

I would have loved to have been at Steve's Punk Rock Anti-Establishment Super Bowl party.

Norica likes this.
  21. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I will never begrudge AB (the brand). They were here long before the storm. As for the conglomerate, talk to me in 15 years, after the pins have fallen.

I think adults wearing "FUCK ______" t-shirts are childish.

beersampler6, dirtyfab, nc41 and 7 others like this.
  22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Here, in my opinion, is the mind fuck of all this. You're a brewer who worked for a brewery who was bought out by ABI. You no longer work for them and now you have your own brewery. Your new brewery earns a medal at GABF and all you can do is give the middle finger to something that you dislike? You just gave attention to the thing that you say you hate. Why would you ever do that? Why not "Keep craft beer local/weird/etc."? Seems pretty poorly thought out and sophomoric to me. But . . . yeah . . . it sure is punk rock as hell. :rolling_eyes:

23. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,023) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium

Well, I'm not offended by the use of cuss words but imho it's a rather juvenile way to get a point across, especially if you want to be taken seriously.

24. MNAle

MNAle Savant (978) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

So, if AB-Inbev had NOT bought the brewery where he was employed, would he still work there? Was the buy-out what motivated him to start his own brewery?

Maybe he should be THANKING AB-Inbev?

PatrickCT likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,427) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Considering craft beer grew at double digit rates of growth for all the many years ABI was supposedly trying to put craft beer out of business, I think we all owe them thanks.

drtth and HouseofWortship like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

27. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

He was already on the way out, according to the article/interview, the buyout simply accelerated his departure.

For all the publicity that he's getting by wearing the shirt? Yeah. Other than that, like he says, they're not competitors. Cloudburst is a hyperlocal brewery that self-distributes. They don't play the same game that ABI does.

If you haven't read the linked interview, you should. There are some very interesting points of view in it, including some very contradictory opinions that, in my opinion, should cause some serious cognitive dissonance.

Ale_Jedi likes this.
  28. SFACRKnight

This is why I don't read links and just rattle my sabre.

Ale_Jedi and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  29. poisoneddwarf

I've been wondering when EMJ was going to chime in! Do you work for ABI in any capacity?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  30. poisoneddwarf

Rigghht...it's because ABI was pulling the strings is why there was a craft beer boom. :smirk:

31. poisoneddwarf

Great analogy! That's totally the same thing!

32. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Na, but I'd sell out if they offered. :sunglasses:

The funny thing is that I don't drink much from The High End portfolio. I just don't turn my nose up to it. I'd rather drink local, but at times that, too, is frustrating, as most of the locals tend to be making the same types of beer and I get bored with that.

I understand that this is the same argument in different clothes, but small craft beer has a lot of problems with it that are not good for their employees or their consumers and big craft plays a similar game that ABI does. There are very few that can claim that they are innocent in today's craft beer game.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  33. cavedave

Trader

Well, I guess your explanation is plausible if you stretch reality a bunch, but I was thinking along the lines of thanking them for waging the absolute least effective campaign of destroying competition in the history of attempts to destroy the competition.

BeRightBock, Dragginballs76 and drtth like this.
  34. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (218) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I think the brewer would be better off wearing a "FUCK AMAZON" shirt (since he's in Seattle), seeing as how he dislikes the idea of big corporations buying out and/or forcing the closure of smaller businesses while trying to dominate the marketplace.

35. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,325) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Of course, Anheuser-Busch's market share gained more percentage points than "craft" did during the "Craft Era", even tho' they have gone down since they peaked in 2003 at 49.6% (never quite making 50% - no wonder the Busch's sold out :wink:).

Anheuser-Busch
    1977 = 22.7%
    2017 = 41.6%
    GAIN = 18.9

Craft (i.e., Anchor + New Albion = <0.01%)
    1977 = 0.00%
    2017 = 12.7%
    GAIN = 12.69999%

Well, yeah, if you don't count Schlitz, Olympia, Carling, Stroh, Schaefer, Falstaff, Schmidt, Rheingold, Pearl, General, Peter Hand, Hudepohl, Rainier...(and that's just the list from the Top 20 w/Million Barrel capacities in the mid-70s).

#35 jesskidden, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  36. SFACRKnight

How do you know he doesn't have a fuck Amazon shirt?

37. cavedave

Trader

Indeed. Thankfully I never liked nor cared about any of those breweries. Thankfully craft beer has thrived to the point it is now. Thankfully we, all of us, for whatever reasons, can enjoy the Great American Beers we enjoy today, arguably the best time in the history of the world for a fine beer lover to be alive.

BeRightBock and Noelito76 like this.
  38. Bitterbill

Premium Trader

I gotta say that there's quite a few on that list that I did enjoy.

chrismattlin and nc41 like this.
  39. cavedave

Trader

Sorry to hear that. I had six of those named, didn't like any of them, and two of them, Schaefer and Schlitz, were two of my least liked beers ever.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Bitterbill

Premium Trader

Well, yeah, if you don't count Schlitz, Olympia, Carling, Stroh, Schaefer, Falstaff, Schmidt, Rheingold, Pearl, General, Peter Hand, Hudepohl, Rainier...(and that's just the list from the Top 20 w/Million Barrel capacities in the mid-70s).

The newer renditions of Schlitz and Olympia were very good .
    Pearl was terrible. General..I loved their Brew 102.
    Carling and Strohs were mediocre.(I only had their Lagers)
    Rainier had an Ale that was, and I say was, awesome.
    Falstaff Lager I enjoyed, their version of Ballantine XXX I still really miss.
    Schaefer was a nice dry Lager.
    Schmidt, if it's the Minnesota one, was horrible.

nc41, TongoRad and cavedave like this.