Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet 1.5

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MVP09, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Spotted a bottle of this wondering if it ages well? 10% black ipa, do hops fade and it will taste more like a smooth impy stout?

2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

I found an old bottle in the back of one of my fridges recently. I'll drink tomorrow and report back.

3. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

Why not buy a stout instead?

4. MVP09

MVP09 Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Because at $9.50 for a 22oz 10% beer that has been aged for 1 yr its a good deal

5. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Its a good beer...but can't say I've had one since March

6. MGambleWWS

MGambleWWS Nov 12, 2007 Massachusetts

You are definitely right that it turns into a smoother, more stout like experience after a year of aging. A decent amount of hop bitterness will remain after a year but it will definitely be skewed more towards to malty side, letting some of the more complex roasted flavors come out. The only concern I have with aging this beer is the potential for off-flavors from UV light to enter the picture, but as long as it's been properly aged it should be quite delicious.

7. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I've got some old IPA's I'll sell you for a good price

tx_beer_man likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe