Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Clown Shoes Sued over Vampire Slayer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

One things for sure when it comes to business and making money I've learned that integrity , ethics and ect are anything but important , smile while you are ass raping the consumer and competition

2. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Jan 15, 2005 Massachusetts

Okay, I'll admit it, I can't taste the smoke. Which is good in my book. Seriously, one of the finest Stouts I've had recently. Keep making those great beers and I'll keep buying them.

Axtimusprime likes this.
  3. oldedog

oldedog Oct 23, 2012 Connecticut

I'm going mad silly with the like's on this page

BrandonOakes likes this.
  4. craftbrew502

craftbrew502 Feb 2, 2012 Kentucky

Their beer probably sux, so there tryin to do what ever they can to make some money. Companies that pull this crap usually have inferior products. i.e. Magic Hat suing West 6 over a damn bubble letter 6 and a star on the label. Make a better product and you wont need to care about someone using a similar name.

5. LA_Hue24

LA_Hue24 Nov 20, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Guess I better go buy some more vampire slayer before theyre gone

BrandonOakes likes this.
  6. Axtimusprime

Axtimusprime May 30, 2013 Massachusetts

Just don't stop buying it when the new label is out ;)

7. BrandonOakes

BrandonOakes Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

Just saw this in store today and forgot about this happening. Might need to return and pick one up!

8. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

9. Alex5

Alex5 Mar 18, 2012 South Carolina

This is so pathetic. The only similarity is "VAMPIRE". Really? Isn't that the same brewery that makes Gulden Draak, Piraat and few others. I don't like any beers from them except Monks's Cafe. Seems like they pretend to be a craft brewery, while dishing out shitty beers.

10. wesbray

wesbray Feb 29, 2012 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Hardly a "wannabe beer brand" when they are producing such fine beers as Gulden Draak and Piraat.

k_vancleef likes this.
  11. Alex5

Gulden Draak is shit. It's so over rated. And I love Belgian (-style) dark beers. And Piraat is like Duvel....just mediocore Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

12. wesbray

Beer Trader

I have never heard of anyone describing Duvel as mediocre, interesting.

And I cannot possibly comment on Clown Shoes as I had not heard of them before this thread.

abkayak likes this.
  13. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm interested to know what Belgian style ales you prefer over Gulden Draak and Duvel.

And I'm sure you realize you are in the minority with that opinion.

djl9701 and wesbray like this.
  14. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm talking about the obviously novelty cash grab vampire bullshit. Maybe piraat not making enough to pay their retainer.

15. Jirin

Jirin Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Why do courts take this kind of crap seriously? Shouldn't any judge with an ounce of common sense throw this kind of frivolous lawsuit out of court? This is as stupid as when Donald Trump tried to copyright "You're fired". It's one thing if they named it exactly the same as one of their copyrights, but they didn't.

16. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I wonder what Buffy has to say about all this.

djl9701 likes this.
  17. Brownj1288

Brownj1288 Oct 3, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

If you read the article it is pretty clear it is the importer that is suing, not the brewery. The brewery doesn't seem to have anything to do with this lawsuit.

Also holy shit, you rated 328 beers in one day, Obviously you were rating things you drank before but I can't imagine how long it took you to find and rate all of them (I am sure you were reviewing tasting notes in between)

Stugotzo likes this.
  18. Stugotzo

Who are you to be bringing facts into this discussion?

You, sir, have some major chutzpah! ;)

djl9701 and jRocco2021 like this.
  19. Alex5

I like dubbel, tripel, quadrupel, belgian dark ale, belgian strong dark ale, flanders red ale, flanders oud bruin. I've only had 2 lambics. Lindemans Peche, which was bleh and Boon Kriek, which I liked.

20. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 New York

Pure drivel

djl9701, RblWthACoz and wesbray like this.
  21. Cliffbeer

Cliffbeer Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts

This lawsuit has nothing to do with Van Steenberge or it's importer, Global Beer Network. TI Beverage, which is owned by a trademark attorney Michael Machet, is the brand owner. He asked Van Steenberge to brew the beer for him seven years ago. TI started this lawsuit and was not required to, nor did he consult with Global Beer or Van Steenberge in doing so. Gulden Draak and Piraat are world class beers and the brewer supports the efforts of all American craft brewers. He even pays homage to American Craft brewers on the label of his newly released Gulden Draak Brewmaster's Reserve

22. ClownShoesDreams

ClownShoesDreams Dec 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Hi, this is Gregg Berman from Clown Shoes. Van Steenberge and Global Beer Network were in no way a part of the lawsuit over Vampire Slayer. To the contrary, we know them to be serious advocates for craft beer. Thank you to everyone that has offered Clown Shoes Beer support while Vampire Slayer was forced to take a bow and exit the stage. Be on the lookout for Undead Party Crasher, which has already shipped to our Massachusetts wholesaler and will be shipping around the country over the next four weeks.

23. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

2012'ers keep on keeping on...

24. wesbray

Beer Trader

Any chance of your stuff making it to Canada? I have heard only good things!

25. djben

djben Sep 4, 2013 Florida

Clown Shoes fan here.

It would be cool if someone found out who TI Beverage Group's distributors are and somehow convinced them to stop carrying their beer. Pipe dream of course :)

26. ClownShoesDreams

ClownShoesDreams Dec 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Yes, but not sure when.

27. Stugotzo

Maybe you can around the trademark by naming the Canadian bound stuff, Clown Shoes "Dracul Eh"? o_O

28. bluewolf17

bluewolf17 Mar 3, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing haha

29. Stugotzo

I drank mine on New Year's Eve. Not bad, but didn't hold a candle to the Hunahpu or Life is Like. ;)

30. growlerfox

growlerfox Jan 22, 2014 California

Just put fake nose, glasses and mustache over vampire.

2beerdogs and JohnnyMc like this.
  31. readyski

readyski Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Or more importantly, why pick on that double entendre, when there are many others :rolleyes:

32. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

new label looked cool even poked fun at the lawsuit in great beer.

33. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Just did a side by each and for the life of me i found Undead better than Vamp slayer. I thought it was thicker, more evenly carbed and had better taste overall. (4 stars vs 5)

either way, great beer and boo to the other winery, brewery whatever theyre trying to be. even the wife thought it was idiotic on this one. (she knows lawyers and thinks this one shouldnt have even been an issue)

Axtimusprime, readyski and atorres like this.
  34. atorres

atorres Jun 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I agree. Just had Undead and it was way better.

blatherbeard likes this.
  35. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

i've never had either, but i have had very angry beast (bourbon barrel aged blend of vampire slayer and blaecorn unidragon) about which all i can say is: holy shit.

blatherbeard and atorres like this.
  36. atorres

atorres Jun 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

He'll yeah dude. That beer is amazing and way underrated! I can't WAIT for Extremely Angry Beast! Keep on keepin on, Clown Shoes!

Pahn and Axtimusprime like this.
  37. readyski

readyski Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe this one is better fresh (though pretty darn good w/a year or two

blatherbeard likes this.
  38. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

well i gave VS a 4 star, but have had VS before and didnt bother rating it (why i dont konw) but i remember it being pretty much the same as what i had tonight. Undead though, had beaten, to death, any other CS offerings ive had. *drinkiing a blaecorn unidragon right now and still prefer the undead. and i love RIS beers but ......yeah.

either way, their stoutshave always been 4 to 5 on a scale of 1 to 5 for me.

readyski likes this.
  39. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

When was this beer last packaged as Vampire Slayer - I just found a store selling cases of CS Vampire Slayer right next to cases of Undead Party Crasher.

Is there any reason to want the older, aged version? Does it age well at all?

40. Donco

Donco Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My absolute favorite Clown Shoes beer!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe