News CNN's Best Beer towns in U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by herman77, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herman77

herman77 Meyvn (1,052) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Strategery likes this.
  2. 7clutch

7clutch Aspirant (210) Sep 14, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I love how the top draws are mostly easily obtainable pale ales and IPA's and then for San Diego Duck Duck Gooze is lumped in there.

johnsonni likes this.
  3. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

When did Pat McIllhenney buy The Linkery from Jay and Mike? Horribly written article.

fernz18 likes this.
  4. willth

willth Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Illinois

Ive never thought "hummm i want to go to Bend to drink" this list is so b.s. West Michigan never gets love in stuff like this.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,567) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Omak, WA not listed! List is bogus!

draheim and NWer like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,242) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I was in Bend last year, and while all of west MI may be better, Bend can stand on its own. 12 or more now in a town that is not as big as Kalamazoo. These were from good to excellent. Towns was the name of the list (though Bay Area is not a town IIRC, and I like it there too).

7. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I love the "top draws" for Boston: Harpoon IPA and Beer Works Bunker Hill Blueberry Ale...umm ok?

8. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Bend is awesome, reminds me a lot of my hometown of Ft. Collins!

9. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Aspirant (202) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Bend is my heaven on earth. Great beer, great food, cool people and the scenery and outdoor activities are everything I want in a place. Now..just to find a way to justify living there since nothing even remotely related to what I do is close. Someday Bend....SOMEDAY!

10. BSW

BSW Disciple (350) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader Subscriber

So San Francisco is #2, fine. But Moonlight is farther from the city then Russian River and Lagunitas. How do they not make the top draws? Moylans? Speakeasy? Awful.

BeerBeast and sergeantstogie like this.
  11. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My city is listed: Finally an accurate, well written article!
    My city isn't listed: What a joke! Worst article ever!

Skye1024, HKUSPC40, hiphopj5 and 19 others like this.
  12. atomic

atomic Disciple (328) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like how Deschutes is listed for both Bend and Portland.
    Also like how there was nothing in the midwest (not saying it has to be chicago either). Midwest gets beer from both coasts, and all of that awesome Wisconsin, Chicago, Michigan stuff that usually doesn't move too far.

jRocco2021 and sgwagner like this.
  13. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Defender (657) Jan 23, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

I was hoping for beer towns not cities like every other list. Best beer town with population say under 10k would be interesting

14. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,509) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I've never been to Bend but it's on my list of places to check out as possible retirement places. Only problem for me is the snow.

Boston is the joke of that list for sure. Even is you don't count FFF Chicago has that town smoked with Revolution, Half Acre, Pipeworks, and GI. If the list is who drinks the most beer then where the hell is Milwaukee?

15. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,509) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I should write an article on cities to retire to based on beer quality, tax rates, cost of living, etc.

LeeMarvin likes this.
  16. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Defender (629) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader Subscriber

I like how they list Avery and Dry Dock as Denver when they're Boulder and Aurora respectively. And I've probably missed some but just on the top of my head, Denver has at least 12 breweries, not counting any in Aurora.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. NastyNate11

NastyNate11 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 North Carolina

Asheville's in with the big boys!

kexp, RochefortChris and mtmonroe9 like this.
  18. sgwagner

sgwagner Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Wisconsin

Sad to see Milwaukee not on the list. I know that most consider it a "macro" town with its history of being a BMC hub, but craft beer has made a huge resurgence in the last decade here (Milwaukee Brewing Company, Lakefront, Sprecher, Horny Goat, Hinterland, etc...). Plus, in terms of brewing history, we should be close to the top of the list.

Someday....:rolleyes:

jRocco2021 likes this.
  19. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Most of the "top draws" don't make much sense

20. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

So you're saying Deschutes should be listed as "Bend over Portland"? :eek:

Smurf2055, beertunes and atomic like this.
  21. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

The list itself sounds pretty solid... stop being pansies, michiganders. Also, as someone that lives in the midwest, Chicago probably isn't on there because beers are 9 dollars a pour, and it's in the midwest. The midwest is terrible.

draheim and HokiesandBeer like this.
  22. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Boooo where is Rochester, NY to signify all that is good and glorious about the east coast?!?!

23. SupremePie

SupremePie Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

No Vermont? At least this stays in line with CNN's standards of reporting quality, or lack thereof

hardy008, dougfur and BeerKangaroo like this.
  24. mporter13

mporter13 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Oregon

Completely agree. I've visited Bend now a couple times and it's an incredible place to be. Surrounded by mountains with the Deschutes running right through it and amazing beer to boot.

snohojimbo and sergeantstogie like this.
  25. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (953) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The top draws for Boston would be the two beers I recommend you don't try. And putting Cape Ann on a pub crawl would require an hour drive up north lol

26. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (456) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Anyone who doesn't give Philadelphia a 10 for beer history shouldn't be allowed to publish articles about beer. More was done here in the late 90's and early Aughts to promote the drinking and appreciation of traditional Belgian styles than anywhere outside of Belgium itself, and possibly even moreso than was being done in Belgium at the time. Tom Peters of Monk's Cafe fame is very much responsible for reviving the almost dead art of traditional lambic brewing by selling those beers to American beer drinkers.

And bars? We not only have Michael Jackson's favorite beer bar, but many, many other great bars, several of which are dedicated almost exclusively to Belgian beer. Events? I dare anyone to try to find a city that has an annual beer week that rivals Philadelphia's in terms of amount, diversity, and quality of beer events.

One thing Philly lacks is a multitude of great breweries. Our local brewers put out some fine products, but nothing that generates wide buzz, unless you want to stretch our boundaries all the way out to Troegs in Harrisburg. Which is a fair enough reason not to put Philly at #1, but behind Boston? NFW, man.

Streaky likes this.
  27. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Yup. Harpoon IPA isn't bad but its certainly no "top draw." It's also available in most of the country.

28. bmony26

bmony26 Initiate (177) May 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I am probably being to picky but shouldn't the article be called, "Best Beer Cities"? A town has is much smaller and a lot less population than the cities that they chose.

29. Volsdawg10

Volsdawg10 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Mississippi

Not too many of these are surprises but I love that Asheville made the list. I have had the chance to visit there once and actually went to the Thirsty Monk that was listed in their article. Glad they got mentioned because they do have quite the selection.

NastyNate11 likes this.
  30. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Another subjective opinion by a paid journalist who may or may not have a real interest in beer or may just be going on stats and other's opinions. And why 8? Why not 10 or 12 or more since there are so many "towns" out there that are deserving.

31. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Crusader (706) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

This article is so poorly written. There is a big difference between a town and a city. You wanna make a list and title it Best Beer Town and include Bend, Asheville and so on..fine. Best Beer City list and name SF, Philly and so on..fine. But you can't do both in the same list. Im done.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  32. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (348) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Clearly this person has never been to Madison WI.

33. kecarl7

kecarl7 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 California

Philadelphia Top Draws: Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale, Victory Hop Devil IPA

If anyone's looking to snag some of these Top Draws, shoot me a BMail.

34. Topher78

Topher78 Disciple (304) Jul 8, 2011 California

I think the article should have been called "the 8 best beer 'areas' in the USA". Clearly using Bay Area and the towns surrounding Denver to qualify as "towns" doesn't really justify using the term "8 best beer towns in the USA"...just sayin'.

35. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (190) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I just moved back to Philly from Portland and I am BLOWN AWAY by what a beer town Philly is -- and it's not even beer week. A few days ago I walked into a bar and BY ACCIDENT stumbled on a Hitachino Nest tap takeover with a talk from the owner. Tonight there's an Italian sour master talking and tapping two kegs at Alla Spina. The focus on local AND the global is what makes the beer scene here so special. I love love love Portland and dream nightly of the Hair of the Dog Tasting Room and Cascade but it felt a little provincial at times with its "NW-only" focus at so many bars.

HarmonMW and kecarl7 like this.
  36. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Meyvn (1,208) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Northern Vermont is small enough that it should just be listed as a city. Give me three other breweries within an hour of each other that are all as high quality as alchemist, lawsons, or Hill farmstead.

ALeF, celfan and dougfur like this.
  37. Topher78

Topher78 Disciple (304) Jul 8, 2011 California

Those are great but it's not unheard of to see multiple great breweries that close. Take for instance Northern California; within 15 minutes of each other are Bear Republic, Lagunitas and Russian River...

Popp24, 5thOhio, SalukiAlum and 2 others like this.
  38. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

I'm trying to imagine what the Linkery would be like if Pat were running it, but I can't do so without laughing out loud.

39. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Clearly the article would have been better without the top draws - they were added as an afterthought by a writer who probably didn't have a complete handle on what really is or isn't uniquely available in those cities.

I think Philly should have been higher than 6 due to history and events, but Portland at #1 sounds right to me. I was absolutely stunned at their beer scene when I visited last month...honestly most other cities/states I've visited aren't even close.

40. Prospero

Prospero Savant (935) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Exactly, or Crooked Stave, Great Divide, Avery, Odell, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, etc. all within an hour of each other in the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins area.

Topher78 and SalukiAlum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More