CO2 - On or Off if Not Serving?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by jbakajust1, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,060) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Just got into kegging, and got my 2nd keg last night. Do I leave the CO2 on and attached to the keg when I am not actively serving from it? If not, am I able to just take the QC off? Am I able to use one QC and just swap it to whichever keg I want to serve from and then turn off the gas in between?

Thanks for the help.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,444) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I leave mine hooked up and turned 'on' all the time. But there's no reason you can't disconnect/shut off after serving.

p.s. - how did thing work out with your oddball regulator gauge?

3. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

As long as your lines are balanced (PSI matches temp and desired volumes), and you are good about leak checking, then you should just leave the gas on.

Swapping lines like that sounds like a pain in the ass. Get a splitter.

4. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (290) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Split the line and keep all your kegs pressurized all the time. If you have leaks, fix them! There is no such thing as a workaround for CO2 leaks!!! Your beer will go flat if you turn off the gas in the presence of a leak. Your CO2 tank will empty if you don't turn it off in the presence of a leak. More likely, both will happen.

IceAce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More