Coastal Maine

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Franswa, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Franswa

Franswa Feb 8, 2022 Illinois

traveling to Maine In September, I am currently a Zombie Dust girl....wondering which beers or breweries to visit while there with a beer kind of similar? Thanks for ur help!!

Rug, DrStiffington and seakayak like this.
  2. seakayak

seakayak May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Franswa, try Maine Beer Company's Lunch - it's very much like Zombie Dust, maybe better! That's a beautiful area to visit in the fall - enjoy! :beers:

SLeffler27, Rfro5, Davl22 and 3 others like this.
  3. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

You should go to Portland and maybe ask at breweries which beers they recommend for someone who likes Zombie Dust. I’m sure Bissell Brothers would have an IPA or two that would do the trick for you.

Franswa and seakayak like this.
  4. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Coastal Portland, or Coastal Bar Harbor? Lots of distance and options in between. Either way, it’s a beautiful time of year to visit Maine! Cheers.

seakayak, JrGtr and Franswa like this.
  5. Franswa

Thanks Sea! Have actually tried Maine Lunch, considering going to Maine Co brewery and finally trying Dinner, so hard to get here in Illinois :slight_frown:

barrybeerdog, Rfro5 and seakayak like this.
  6. Franswa

Actually in and around Ogunquit!

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  7. Franswa

Actually in and around Ogunquit

8. vtcraft

vtcraft Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Tributary in kittery,
    Tullys in wells has the best selection for local bottle shops,
    Be sure to head to Portland for at-least a day.

DrStiffington likes this.
  9. DrStiffington

Society

Plus one to all three selections above.

10. Piels25

Piels25 Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Walk the Marginal Way
    Rum Punch at Barnacle Billy's
    Dinner across the street at The Oarweed (overlooking Marginal Way, Atlantic views)

DrStiffington likes this.
  11. Piels25

Piels25 Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

* And don't skip the baked stuffed potato at the Oarweed!

12. DrStiffington

Society

I’ve been going to Ogunquit for 20 years and I’ve never seen either of those restaurants open, because we always go in November.

13. nh2032

nh2032 Oct 15, 2009 New York

I never see it mentioned much, but I always love Austin St Patina while I'm in Maine. Maybe a little more hazy, less bitter than Zombie Dust, still worth trying.

14. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Good call, Dinner is fantastic! Also try anything you can get from Bissell Brothers Brewing. More NEIPA than ZD, but outstanding beers!

Enjoy Maine, it is a beautiful place, especially in the fall!

DrStiffington, mvogt and seakayak like this.
  15. bruindre

bruindre Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Ignoring practicality for a minute, 3 thoughts come to mind merely because you mention coastal Maine (I know you’re in Ogunquit; dismiss theses as needed). From least outrageous to most:
    1. Deciduous Brewing Company has done some decent IPA & sour work (for something outside the Portland/Saco area). Probably 45 min from Ogunquit.
    2. Oxbow Brewing’s Newcastle location is a must stop for me whenever I’m near Portland. In the cuts, it’s a beautiful property apropos to the beautiful beer they have. There are a handful of taps, but bottle/can pours are also available.
    3. Further up the coast (or Down East…or whatever they say up there) is Odd Alewives. Small spot, only featuring a handful of beers, but if you’re anywhere near that part of the coast, worth a stop. (you aren’t, so the travel up there is probably not worth it).
    Cheers!

Rug likes this.