Coffee

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by elNopalero, Apr 23, 2019.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,272) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

What's in your morning cup?

I became a coffee drinker after becoming a beer drinker, and I have stouts and porters to blame/thank for that. Now I take my coffee as seriously as my beer.

2. TylerJ

TylerJ Aspirant (289) Apr 10, 2016 Kansas
    Trader

I do love my coffee. I've been digging into some flavored roasts lately (pastry stouts have made me this way). At home I've been drinking three different roasts:

Caribou's Vanilla Hazelnut Dreamstate
    Friedrich's (local grocery chain in Des Moines) maple nut blend (drinking this right now) (https://www.friedrichscoffee.com/product/vermont-maple-nut/)
    and Sprouts (local grocery chain in Kansas City) Caramel Chocolate Brownie

I also often get Scooters flavored roast of the day which is usually either hazelnut or "scooterdoodle" which is hazelnut + cinnamon. Scooters is probably my favorite large coffee chain.

I also love a few other coffee drinks such as an unflavored cappuccino or Starbucks caramel macchiato.

Usually if I'm traveling I try to hit up local coffee shops though.

3. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (161) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

I also love coffee. I probably drink Courier the most, they always have a good variety of regions available and roast multiple times a week in small batches so it's always fresh. Extracto would be second on my list primarily because they have interesting single origin espressos that are more lightly roasted than most espresso.

These are both local Portland coffee roasters (you knew someone like me was going to show up) so I don't imagine many people outside of the PNW will know what I'm talking about. In which case - how about Stumptown Hairbender? It's an excellent, classic espresso roast that always leaves my espresso cups coated in crema, and it's widely available!

I do this too, locally roasted coffee is always my first preference. I'm looking forward to collecting some recommendations out of this thread for when I travel.

4. seakayak

seakayak Defender (645) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Java Time from Big Lots - $3.39 a pound. Black and bitter.

Premo88, GOBLIN and LarryV like this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (367) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm trying to be more frugal and use k-cups, so I buy the 36 pack of Colombian k-cups from Weis for $9.99. Pretty good for the price.

Premo88, LarryV and seakayak like this.
  6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've been drinking Lavazza. It's a big brand, but it's high quality. Illy is a secondary, or Trader Joe's French roast.

I prefer to use a French press but out of laziness I usually use my Bodum automatic drip machine.

7. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (857) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

With my tongue in my cheek, I'm going to say that coffee nerds are similar to beer nerds because their tastes are heavily influenced by lots of self-inflicted biases. :grin:

I try to buy a fresh local-roasted whole bean light to medium roast (I prefer bean flavor to char), with no extra flavorings added. Coffee flavored coffee please. But I don't get hung up on the details of origin, methods of roast, grinding, brewing, etc. I do have a slight preference for kona and costa rican coffee, but I'm pretty sure that preference is more due to positive memories of vacations to those places than the actual coffee in the cup.

If you want a frugal single serving of coffee, try a french press and buy ground coffee in bulk. Not only is it cheaper than a k-cup, but it tastes better too. It's a little more effort than pushing a button, but not much effort....with a travel mug french press, just add boiling water to ground coffee and go. (It's far more friendly to the environment than a k-cup too, if you care about such things.)

CowsandBeer, Premo88, Jaycase and 9 others like this.
  8. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thanks for the info! I've used a regular French Press and that thing was great. Will have to try to find a travel mug French Press. Never seen one.

9. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thinking of another recent thread about a new product that's mainly coffee with some alcohol and milk added in it... ... ... I don't mind coffee in my beer, but I sure as hell don't want anything in my coffee! I'm not sure what that says about me.

To all those people who put a shot of whiskey in their coffee - STOP! Drink your whiskey, enjoy it as it is, and then enjoy your coffee as it's supposed to be.

frozyn, Premo88, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  10. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Illy medium or dark roast. I used to drink a lot of various light roasts but a lot of those flavors are too tangy for my taste. The Illy has been the perfect flavor for me.

Premo88, Greywulfken and LarryV like this.
  11. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,054) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I typically grind my own fresh in the morning and then use a French press. I order most of my beans from roasters online, although there are some pretty decent coffee shops local to me.

As one example, I don't live in southern California anymore, but I still occasionally order coffee from Modern Times (what is this, a crossover episode?!). They have some very interesting single-origin roasts and some fun barrel-aged bean experiments. JBC Coffee Roasters in Wisconsin has some award-winning coffees that I've really enjoyed. When I lived in Santa Monica, some of my favorite suppliers [that I still occasionally order from] were 49th Parallel (located in Vancouver, but they supplied beans for my favorite local coffee shop in Venice), and Tectonic.

CowsandBeer, mkh012, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,721) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader Fest Crew

Definitely a coffee nerd. Prefer single origin over blends. Usually use French Press but not opposed to pour over. Small chain in CO called Brewing Market has fresh roasted (10 days or fresher) whole beans. I grind each morning. Back in Houston I went to a small mom and pop roaster called House of Coffee Beans. Usually keep 1 or 2 flavored beans for iced/cold brew/change of pace.

Right now at the house

Brewing Market - Ethiopian Guji
    Brewing Market - Tanzanian Peaberry
    HoCB - Jingle Bell Java
    HoCB - Cookies & Creme

13. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (500) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Portola is my local roaster and definitely a favorite, but I mix it up with a Mistobox subscription. Really enjoying Guatamalan and African Naturals at the moment.

Kalita Wave on the weekdays and V60 on the weekends.

Baratza Encore with an upgraded M2 Virtuouso burr.

14. PDXAmbassador

PDXAmbassador Devotee (431) Sep 16, 2015 Florida
    Trader

I grew up in Portland and got spoiled early on with pretty stellar coffee. I like bright, fruit-forward, distinctive varietal coffee. For my money, the five consistently best coffee roasters in the world have been (in no order):

- Heart Coffee (Oregon)
    - Sweetbloom (Denver)
    - Roseline (Oregon)
    - Tim Wendelboe (Norway)
    - Coffee Collective (Denmark)

Five honorable mentions go to: Little Wolf (MA), Four Barrel (CA), Mostra (CA), and Bird Rock (CA), Drop Coffee (Stockholm).

CowsandBeer, Sammy, mkh012 and 7 others like this.
  15. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (389) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I definitely like my coffee too.
    For daily drinker type stuff I get the Guatamalan dark roast from BJs. Good coffee at a good price. Whole bean only. I grind it the night before and set the machine to go on automatically in the morning.
    I have several micro-roasters nearby, plus another opening imminently, and that one is also a brewery - brilliant marketing, IMO. Get folks to stop on their way in to work for the coffee, and on the way home for a beer.
    I keep a variety from those and other micro-roasters on hand for special occasions, weekends and so forth. I was in New Orleans last week and found on roaster. I could smell it going 2 blocks away - it was great. So I had to bring a couple pounds home. I usually break the pounds into smaller quantities and vacuum seal them, and store it in the freezer until ready to use. I haven't noticed any major flavor loss doing it this way.

16. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Typically whats on sale at the store. But every so often I'll buy a bag of Ethiopian light roast. I really like the natural sundried process as they're really juicy and floral.

Premo88 and LarryV like this.
  17. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,285) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Also a coffee lover. Dark roasted Sumatra Mandheling is hands down my favorite, although Celebes Kalossi is a real treat when I can find it. I have burr grinder and generally grind enough for a few days and keep it in an air tight container. I like using a Chemex coffee maker but they tend to be pretty fragile and easy to break, but damn they make a good cup of coffee and put you in full control of the extraction process. I drink it black, no cream or sugar. Mocha -Java is another one of my favorites when it's done well. Best roaster in my area is Armeno Coffee roasters, excellent coffee and employee owned.

https://www.armeno.com/

I got to be good friends with the original owner and after the store closed for the day he would break out some rare coffees and good beers. I've been a coffee geek since the mid 70's when the first "gourmet" coffee store opened in my area. It was a real eye opener for me at the time. I also think the quality of coffee was a lot better back then. Due to natural disasters, a lot of old growth coffee trees were damaged or destroyed so most of the coffee we get now doesn't come from the old growth trees. Glad to see folks who appreciate a good cup! Cheers.

18. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,272) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

I remember that first cup of coffee that blew my mind. It was jammy, almost like crushed blue berries--but in coffee form. Utterly amazing. I found out later that it was from an Ethiopian grower, and in hindsight I'm guessing it was natural processed--what I think of as the "wet hops" of the coffee world.

19. LarryV

Society

Ethiopia is thought to be where coffee originated. I've always found that Ethiopian coffees have a pretty unique flavor to them, kind of spicy and citrusy, Been awhile since I've had it though.

20. waughbrew

waughbrew Champion (842) Jan 26, 2003 Massachusetts

Coffee nerd since having kids 9 years ago. Got woke with a Stumptown Guatemalan at Pavement Coffeehouse in Boston. Since then have tried tons of brands, origins, and brew methods.
    Favorite brands:
    Heart Roasters (OR), George Howell(MA), Speckled Ax (ME), Nobletree (NY)
    Favorite origins: Ethiopia, Kenya, Guatemala
    Favorite Methods: Chemex, V60, Kalita Wave
    A couple years ago, I messaged the Alström Brothers, asking them to please make a Beanadvocate site/app, because I’ve been dying for an awesome resource for coffee like this is for beer, especially when traveling. Anybody know if something like that exists?

21. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (161) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have made my own beer and roasted my own coffee. Roasting coffee is a lot easier, and at least in my experience, has resulted in better end products. My favorite green beans to buy are Blue Mountain, Ethiopian, and Guatemalan. Coffee stouts are my second favorite style of beer.

22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I am a long-time coffee drinker - literally recall drinking coffee at the age of 4 - I'm basically a 2-cup/day guy now - I start my day with coffee, and have it again sometime in the afternoon. I take my coffee black, and am not a fan of flavorings and specialty drinks, though I enjoy some of the fancy or flavored (or alcoholic) offerings every now and then.

My love of coffee totally eclipses that for beer, but I never got any geekier than exploring varietals and blends from Starbucks and Gevalia. I've gone from instant to percolated to drip, but for the past 4 years or so, I've been using a Keurig, and Starbuck's Sumatra and Cafe Verona pods.

And guess what time it is now, BA? :wink:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

dcotom, Crusader, LarryV and 2 others like this.
  23. LarryV

Society

I like Keurig for the convenience of it, but I think it makes an inferior cup of coffee because the extraction is too quick. I still prefer using either a French press, a drip coffee maker, or my favorite, the Chemex. Chemex puts you in full control of the extraction and temperature, downside is they're a little pricey and they can break easily. Plus you have to use their filters which are a little pricey.

https://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

dcotom, waughbrew and Greywulfken like this.
  24. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I was originally opposed to the Keurig because I was concerned about the quality of the coffee and the expense of the k-cups, but my wife was insistent - turns out the sheer convenience of it is hard to beat - I rely on it so much I actually got a second one for work lol

dcotom and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  25. LarryV

Society

The convenience is what gets you hooked! I can order K-cups through Office Depot as a work perk and I get them for about $5 a 24 pack - that's how I discovered that the mark up in retail stores is outrageous. I can get 2 boxes of 24 K cups each for the price of one box in the supermarket. And they offer all the different brands - Tully, Green Mountain, Newman's, Starbucks etc.

Speaking of Starbucks, I really like their Komodo Dragon blend, excellent coffee. I have a 4 cup drip coffee maker in my office, plus we have a commercial Keurig that I use occasionally as well.

I get Keurig coffee free at work from one of the customer groups I support, usually it's the Tully Italian roast which is pretty good.

dcotom and Greywulfken like this.
  26. BeastOfTheNortheast

This thread made me go out and buy a coffee bean grinder and some whole beans (will get some beans from the local roaster next time I have a chance to get there). Excited because I already have a French Press and remember it making some damn good coffee.

mkh012, dcotom, 7irondave and 3 others like this.
  27. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (500) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

My trip down the coffee rabbit hole started when my wife bought me a bag of Modern Times beans for Christmas 2015. That quickly turned into goose neck kettles, burr grinders, scales and pour over brewing methods.

Much like craft beer has become part of the popular culture, I believe 'third wave' coffee will eventually do the same. It might take another ten years though.

Comparing fresh roasted beans ground on a good burr grinder just before brewing and then properly extracted to something like Starbucks, is like comparing your favorite local IPA to stale Natty Ice...

28. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,721) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader Fest Crew

The convenience is hard to beat, but they're so environmentally poor that I couldn't bring myself to continue their use. Not a soap box thing, everyone should do their own thing.

One option however is to get the reusable K-Cups and grind (or buy pre-ground) your own coffee!

29. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (111) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

Work cup is a moccamaster and a baratza encore grinder.

Home is a sterling 8cup double wall, double filter french press and a Mizudashi cold brew 1L steeper.

Beans are...usually whatever is cheap, but we do have some nice expensive stuff every now and then. But always whole and ground down when they're going to be used. Especially for the cold brew, the darker (and cheaper) I can get it, the better.

I'm usually way too impatient to do my own pour over. But man, do I love it when I'm able to get some from local spots. That being said, I think I'm more in love with sludgy, dark, coffee than I am of the light tasting notes that some lighter roasts bring to a palate.

#29 Izzy_Izumi, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  30. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (54) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Love some caffenation in the morn! Usually, I fill the chemex up with single origin stuff from Modern Times, Dark Horse, or Mostra. Sumatra, costa rican, myanmar, and chiapas are among my favorite regions. The combination of a nice burr grinder and hand pouring over via chemex is magic! Also, the feeling of putting in some work to brew the coffee instead of throwing in a k-cup, gives a sense of satisfaction while catching that morning buzz note.

31. LarryV

Society

The problem with those is that the water moves through them too quickly and results in weak tasting coffee. The solution is to take a regular used K cup and remove the filter from it so it's just an empty shell. Then cut the top lip off - the wider part. When you use the reusable K-Cup, just slip it into the modified plastic K cup and it will then work like a regular K cup.

32. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (273) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

One of my earliest memories of coffee is hearing my grandmother talk about her trip to the US in 1991 when she went to visit some distant relatives. As she tells it the coffee was uniformly weak, whether she was in Chicago or California, it was watery and tasted and looked like brown water more than anything. This story has been retold again and again throughout the years. She's not a drinker of any sort, but she was a coffee drinker, and the weak American coffee obviously made a strong impression on her. I imagine that the coffee she had was perculated Folgers or the like, and I can't help but think about American light beer when I think about her stories about American coffee.

Personally I'm a big fan of coffee and I drink regular drip brewed Swedish medium roasted coffee, which is 100% arabica. To me it tastes full bodied enough and oily enough, without the roastedness of a dark roast, or the flatness of machine coffees. I'd be curious to try standard coffees from other countries however. I've had cups of fancy coffee freshly ground etc. but I've failed to see a major difference compared with regular drip brewed Swedish coffee.

33. Crim122

I really need to find a way to have better coffee at work. We have a Keurig, and yeah I know it's practically trash. Tastes like soggy cardboard. I reckon I could bring my blade grinder into work and do a french press.

34. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

French Press or drip myself. The kids like a Keurig but I refuse to be swayed by a machine that won't let me do it my way.

35. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Aeropress plus a hand grinder is a good way to go.

If you want to French press you need a good hand grinder that can grind coarsely. A blade grinder is not going to be your friend as you will have way too many fine pieces giving you a sludgy cup.

Premo88 and Crim122 like this.
  36. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,127) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I love my Keurig. My Bodum portable French press is now used primarily for adulterating beer with chili peppers, vanilla beans, cacao nibs, Bourbon-soaked smoking chips, and whatnot. I get a lot of my K-cup coffee from TJ Maxx and HomeGoods. You never know what you'll find, the prices are great, and the selection can be quite extensive.

I also occasionally enjoy flavored coffees, my favorite being Green Mountain Island Coconut. It's available for a limited time each year, and I've been able to find it only at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. (I've already been threatened with having my man card revoked for this, so do your worst. :stuck_out_tongue:)

37. BeastOfTheNortheast

Dude, that's cool. I enjoy a nice brew with flavored creamer every day. I've noticed when talking to some people about coffee, they think drinking your coffee black is the 'tough' or 'manly' thing to do. Unfortunately, I don't care what people think and I'd rather enjoy my cup of coffee than try to make a statement lol.

Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

I know I am hijacking this thread, so I apologize. But, wanted to tell you that I grinded up some Barissimo Fair Trade Certified Organic Peruvian Coffee from Aldi and made a cup of coffee using the French Press this morning. A 12 oz bag was like $4.49 plus tax and it is really good. Best cup I've had in a long time (that I can remember).

39. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,782) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

We have a micro-roaster in Bryan-College Station called What's The Buzz where I get almost all my beans. The citrusy, almost salty styles are my favorite, but I cycle through everything they sell from every region. The stuff they bring in from Mexico and Guatemala are my favorites.

I use French presses about 98% of the time. I also have a stove-top moka espresso maker that I use occasionally.

If for some reason I have to use grocery store coffee, Dunkin' Donuts medium and Starbucks Kenya are my favorites.

Mostly I make coffee with a little almond milk and stevia, but I keep a couple flavored syrups on hand that I use occasionally. In fact, I'm on a hunt for the perfect vanilla syrup, something that doesn't taste overly chemically like Torani's.

dcotom and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  40. Crim122

I made a growlers worth of cold brew with Trader Joes Colombia Supremio. Coarsely ground 10 ounces of it in my Baratza Encore. Bloomed it in the growler and let it steep for about 15 hours. It's really good. Like surprisingly good.

The previous batch of cold brew I made was with cafe bustelo, which tasted like motor oil black so it need a bit of milk. I can drink the trader joes black.