Coffee

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by elNopalero, Apr 23, 2019.

1. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (462) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

A sparkling iced espresso after doing some yardwork
    [​IMG]
    Ground up some beans this morning and made a couple cups of espresso. One for my morning cup, and one for an afternoon treat.

Refreshing and recommended if you haven't had one before.

2. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,110) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Society Trader

Love me a cup of black coffee.

I use a Keurig because I'm lazy...wife loves it too.

Starbucks Caffe Verona is our favorite.

Been trying a few others lately out of boredom...

Folgers 1850 Black Gold: Good stuff
    Green Mountain Dark Magic: Don't like it
    Dunkin Dark: Ok
    Seattle's Best 6th Ave. Bistro: Ok

dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  3. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,842) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Owner and roaster at my own coffee shop. It has its perks. Believe it or not, that pun wasn't intended at first, but it definitely became intentional.
    If I'm not drinking black coffee from beans that are 2 days old or fresher, I'm drinking a double shot or maybe a cortado.

#43 Brenden, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    dcotom, JrGtr, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  4. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (55) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

What is a cortado exactly? Other than espresso with warm milk. I've never heard of the term till now. Love me some cuban con leche; how does it compare?

Premo88 likes this.
  5. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,842) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

A cortado is just equal parts espresso and steamed milk. It's similar to a latte, really just a different ratio to make the espresso a much stronger flavor. It would be pretty similar, but I generally like mine unsweetened. Being a double espresso with equal parts milk, it's typically just a 4 oz. drink, but I sometimes make it a double cortado. I don't know that the term technically exists, but that's what I call it.

6. mkh012

mkh012 Defender (639) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

I'm into coffee but haven't taken the plunge into beer-level nerdom. I feel like there's a science to brewing a perfect cup that I haven't fully mastered. I find South American beans to be more consistent and "easy" than African and Asian ones.

Heart Roasters is a stand-out but expensive. Here in NJ, Rook is very good. I'm working on a bag of Colombian coffee from them right now. Rook also provides the coffee for Kane Morning Bell, which is a stellar coffee porter.

7. nruhlig

nruhlig Aspirant (225) Jan 4, 2019 Minnesota
    Society

Dived into the coffee deep end before the beer deep end. Easily spent more on coffee making equipment than I did on the mini beer fridge. The Ol' Lady doesn't seem to mind when I bring a $20 bag of beans home, but I get the stink eye when I bring in the latest 4 pack of whatever I am interested in...

[​IMG]

8. IKR

IKR Defender (624) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Morning ritual, French Pressed Hot or Cold Brew using freshly roasted beans, mostly ones I've roasted myself or ones I've picked up on occasion to verify my roasting skills are up to par. Weekends I'll pull shots of espresso when I have more time. I will run the gamut of Country of origin for the beans but i prefer roast from Full City and lighter leaning towards City Plus. Been a craft/micro beer fan for decades now but my coffee enthusiasm no call it addiction spans even longer.

9. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (129) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm surprised to not see more love for pour over in this thread! My morning ritual is to grind some beans from local-to-me Anodyne coffee roasters and do a pour over right into my to-go cup and out the door. I'm not super scientific about the grind/water temp/etc, but do make it a point to keep the water from boiling and love the results every day. My favorite coffees have a lot of the same characteristics as my favorite dark beers - notes of chocolate and hidden layers of dark fruits. Usually go with various African varietals with the occasional Papua NG just to mix it up but summer finds me seeking a more balanced and straight forward cup o' Joe. If I'm up at Central Waters for beer then I also splurge on some fresh beans from nearby Ruby coffee roasters which is 100% the best coffee I have ever had (and yes they do mail order).

What do people recommend for BA coffee beans? I've been dying to try them for a while and not sure where I should start. Are there any special techniques you all have for brewing BA coffee beans or treat them the same? How much does the bourbon/whiskey/oak carry over into a cup of coffee made with BA beans? And probably stupid question, but do I have to worry about driving while drinking BA coffee?

10. frozyn

frozyn Defender (611) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Have a Bonavita BV1800 with Capresso burr grinder at home, both of which we got lucky with and snagged for pretty good deal. We rotate through roasters every so often, these days it's mostly Ninth Street Espresso and Proof, both out of NYC, and both easily accessible during our foot commutes. Counter Culture and Grumpy (another NYC roaster) also make regular if sporadic appearances.

Heart and 49th Parallel used to be our usuals, but then the coffee shop we procured them from raised prices a bit too high. The lady is best friends with someone who works at Go Get Em Tiger/G&B coffee in LA and she occasionally sends things our way.

11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (369) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like where this thread is going. I do have one question for all of you coffee gurus. I have started to buy bagged whole bean coffee at supermarkets and really enjoy when it's under $5 per bag (10-12 ounces), especially good coffee. Do any of you have suggestions on good coffee around $5/bag?

dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  12. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,714) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Haha! I call it Cafe Bust-Ass-O! Another one along those lines is Caribe.

I will say though, that just like with beer, there is a time and place for every coffee - sometimes you want that burnt up stuff. I sometimes get a taste for it, and then after one cup I'm good for another year!

Premo88 likes this.
  13. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

So here's a coffee thing that I don't understand that maybe someone can fill me in on. When I'm in Italy, and to a certain extent France, espresso seems to be the thing. You walk into the shop, order your espresso and maybe something else, and then throw it back in a single shot and then you're out the door. Don't get me wrong, I love espresso, but I find the whole tossing it back like a shot thing foolish. That's like tossing back a shot of good Scotch whisky - you're missing out on most of it, and it's expensive. Why do people do this?

Premo88 likes this.
  14. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

For the bolt of energy from the caffeine? Or because of centuries of societal trend?

I don't know, but I get you completely. Espresso is for sipping or blending into milk and sugar I always thought.

Here's a coffee head to head ... which do you think was better?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    I hate to be a coffee snob ... in fact, I bought the can of Folgers a few months ago just for that reason — to not be such a coffee snob and to make sure I wasn't missing out on something. But this Foldgers stuff is awful. It tastes like super-burnt already-spent overly-bitter coffee grinds. Yuck!

Anybody out there a big Folgers fan? If so I apologize for trashing your party. :flushed:

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  15. mkh012

mkh012 Defender (639) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

Anyone know where to order bourbon barrel aged beans that are affordable and not gimmicky?

Also, I just ordered some Nicaraguan coffee from Rook that they described as candied lemon peel and caramel brownies. Sounds awesome.

Premo88 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  16. BeastOfTheNortheast

How do you keep your coffee fresh? I make at most 2 cups of coffee a day, so a bag can last me quite a while. I tend to throw it out after a week though.

Premo88 likes this.
  17. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

I don't sweat it. In fact, some of the beans I like get better the longer they age ... by better I mean they taste either more chocolatey or have more of some other flavor note I like. The citrus/salty notes I love do fall off hard after 3-4 weeks, but I combat that by only buying a pound at a time and making sure I get beans that were roasted on the day I buy them (one of the reasons I buy mainly from What's the Buzz, my local micro-roaster).

Some people keep their beans in the fridge or freezer. I've not done that, but it makes sense in theory.

Full disclosure: I rarely drink coffee straight. Most days I mix with about 4 oz. of almond milk or skim milk and a little stevia or xylitol. That milk/sugar I'm sure masks the dying flavors of older beans.

18. 7irondave

Trader

I've only ordered BA beans from Cycle and Modern Times so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I have bought two different BA beans from both as well as non BA. Rum & Bourbon from Cycle and Sherry & Bourbon from MT. My wife bought me beans from Bones Coffee for Christmas too. A flavored (irish cream if I remember correctly), a Jamacian bean and a Bourbon BA bean

I enjoyed the Cycle beans substantially more than MT. I found MT to be too light of a roast for me. The rum beans were the most enjoyable for me. Had the sherry beans been a darker roast they might have competed with the rum as my favorite BA bean. Regardless of which I enjoyed more than the other, they were all a treat. Here's how I'd rate them if I had to:

1st - Cycle rum
    Tied for 2nd - Cycle bourbon & MT sherry
    4th - Bones bourbon
    5th - MT bourbon

During the winter, I clear the snow for my neighbor and she gave me Dunkin' Donuts gift cards as a thank you. I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't drink Dunks so I brew Dunks Monday through Thursday and save the 'special' beans for Friday and the weekend. Saving them for the end of the week really helps me appreciate their quality

#58 7irondave, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (129) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Ooohh! Thanks for the recommendation. Cycle seems to get some amazimg rum barrels and if their rum ba beans are anything like their rum ba stouts I will definitely start there!

20. 7irondave

Trader

Just keep an eye on their online store as their beans tend to come and go pretty quickly

21. Glider

Glider Aspirant (217) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

A week is pretty short. I found that about a month after roasting a lot of single origin beans start losing their flavor.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you can portion out your beans into 1 week batches and seal. Put them in the freezer and open as needed. This will keep them basically as fresh as when you put them in.

Otherwise stale beans can make some good cold brew.

22. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thanks for this info dude!

Glider and Premo88 like this.
  23. nruhlig

Society

24. 7irondave

Trader

25. nruhlig

Society

26. BeastOfTheNortheast

27. montman

montman Disciple (386) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I love coffee and BA coffee beers but for some reason I cannot get into the bourbon barrel aged beans. I've tried a few different ones (locally roasted) and just cannot get into them. We drink our coffee black and always freshly ground, but the BA flavors from the ones I have tried first thing in the morning start turning me off about halfway into the cup.
    Perhaps I need to some of the brands @7irondave recommended.

28. nruhlig

Society

29. 7irondave

Trader

I love your bean storage! I am definitely going to copy that

That Death Wish is something else. I'll brew a cup of that if I have shit to do around the house. A cup of that really packs a punch

Premo88 and nruhlig like this.
  30. Glider

Glider Aspirant (217) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Forgot to mention that ground beans lose their freshness in a day or so. So make sure you are buying whole beans and grinding just before brewing if you want a fresh tasting cup. More important than any storage questions.

31. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (70) May 18, 2017 England

To generalise a lot, I think that coffee in Italy is like Helles in Munich more than BA Stouts in the US. People take it very seriously, and they respect and enjoy it and expect a very high standard by default, but it's also a functional thing that's woven in with the other stuff that you're doing rather than being an end in itself that you automatically want to linger over and take notes on. It's about consistency and quality rather than experimentation and creativity.

French coffee I, er, don't have an overly high opinion of.

32. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

This I would agree with!

33. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (13,282) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

34. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (13,282) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

to keep stomach acid down i cold brew. hot i do aeropress out expresso mostly. i go for best coffees in world freshly roast..toronto top canadian coffee entry port. its not Portland but we may be 3rd t 5th best entry on continent for coffee.

35. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (112) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

A local coffee/tea/boba spot has DW coffee that you can also get with half vietnamese coffee or thai coffee.

It's...delicious.

36. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (55) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Had a thai iced coffee for the first time at my local shop this morning. It was an interesting experience! Really reminded me of those sweet red bean soup desserts you get in chinese restaurants. Couldn't do it on the daily but nice change of pace.

37. LocalBeerGuy

LocalBeerGuy Initiate (173) Apr 17, 2018 Saskatchewan (Canada)

well if get good coffee brand like a fare tared and organic. but does cost little more but every time you pay for that your supporting the company that makes it.

Premo88 likes this.
  38. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Picked up a bag of an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from Man Vs Machine in Munich. It's beautiful. A nice coffee shop as well.

39. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Before I went to Paris I had this idea that in Paris they drank good coffee. Not sure why, but I did. When i get there I and find out most if not all the cafes serve over roasted shots of espresso with a packet of sugar I'm taken aback.

Thankfully I found a third wave coffee roaster who specialized in light roast. The owner came over to our table and talked to us. I told him about my shock at the espresso shots. He explains that coffee is just becoming a respectable "thing" in Paris. That his parents and grandparents didn't care about coffee, and in their mind coffee should taste like an ashtray with motor oil.

I reckon it's no different than my parents thinking coffee is Folgers.

40. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,371) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'm a bit of the opposite in that I started getting picky about coffee and then when I realized beer could share those same notes, I forayed into beer.

Currently, I've stopped buying local craft coffee for my weekday cups and switched to Eight O' Clock. I've been keeping about 12oz at a time in a sealed coffee tin and the remainder of the whole beans in the bag to try and ensure it stays somewhat fresh.

I brew everything with a Hario Kettle + Chemex and grind in a Hario Skerton. Replacing the latter is my next step, then perhaps someday I'll work on an espresso setup.

A local roaster is making an Ethiopian blend named Dari Kercha and I'll be damned if it isn't my most favorite origin I've had to date.