College beers: When, where & what?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by twizzard, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,887) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

I went to college from the late 80's to the mid 90's (87-96...two and half degrees) up here in Canada (University of New Brunswick, which is Canada's oldest university, and then a small [mostly] women's university [wait what?])...most of my beer was pure crap...Moosehead Pale Ale and Moosehead Ten Penny were my staples, until about '90 when my sister met a guy who owned a pub...then I started my journey into imports and craft.

utopiajane and DoctorZombies like this.
  2. TooGood

TooGood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

While attending college in MN from 1989-94 our mainstays were Busch Light (cans) and Old Milwaukee (returnable bottles)

utopiajane and DrStiffington like this.
  3. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,363) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Always good to see another Mountaineer!

spedprof likes this.
  4. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (718) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

I attended Sonoma State in California graduated 1995. Had an off campus class that I had to take to graduate. Had to drive past Mendocino Brewing Company and often would stop in for a couple of Red Tail Ales before my class. One day the professor who also had to make the same drive mentioned she saw my car in the parking lot of the brewery which explained my being late.

utopiajane likes this.
  5. entenduintransit

entenduintransit Zealot (558) May 11, 2015 Tennessee
    Deactivated

U of Michigan, currently. Mostly Rolling Rock and PBR for the binging nights. A few times we've gotten kegs of Two Hearted.

Sheppard likes this.
  6. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (672) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

During my college years ('81-'85) it was all about the "imports" — Heineken, Becks, Molson, Moosehead, Löwenbrau, Grölsch and Foster's. Don't recall drinking anything domestic then. Not that there was much domestic worth drinking back in those pre-craft days. At least as far as 18-22 yr. old beer noobs knew. :rolling_eyes:

DoctorZombies likes this.
  7. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (93) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

In college we loved both macro and craft. Party with games like beerpong = macro. Chill hang out = craft. My first ever successful power hour: Yuengling. At some point we wanted more abv so we switched to icehouse, then natty ice, then... ugh... steel reserve. How many painful tailgate mornings were spent drowning in steel reserve? The world may never know.

It was all for a purpose, though. As students we had to rage sometimes. And if we wanted to be able to afford craft sometimes, we had to save money when we raged. Thus, the macro.

Answer to the where: Gainesville.

8. KurtE

KurtE Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois

From 93-97 while at Augustana College in Rock Island IL, my hang out was a hole in the wall called Chet's with $.50 room temperature Hamms on tap.

"From the land of clear blue water...."

9. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (734) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I know I'm fairly young so it's different for me, but my macro/shitty beer phase probably lasted about a month, for me the shit beers of choice were stella artois and yeungling, it's almost always been craft for me

10. pablobruz

pablobruz Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2003 New Hampshire

1980's Villanova. Put down the Piels and Schmidts and picked up Yuengling. The start of my Brewing Career. Cheers

DoctorZombies likes this.
  11. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Zealot (575) Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

University of Delaware, '94 - '98 (after serving in the Air Force). Drank tons of cheap beer when my fraternity had parties (Natural Light, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone...) This is also the time when I started discovering that there was better stuff out there; I started with stuff like Sam Adams, Saranac, Pete's Wicked Ale, and Sierra Nevada.

utopiajane likes this.
  12. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

Early 90s.
    Buffalo.
    Milwaukee's Best, Labatt Blue. Again and again.
    Splurges were Killian's, HoneyBrown.
    Best day of my life was driving to Toronto and drinking MolsonXXX on draft before a Stones concert.
    Damn, not much good beer, but lots of great times.

13. EvilMidnightBomber

EvilMidnightBomber Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Wisconsin

Started in Northeast Ohio in the mid 90's, just cheap crap at parties, I remember Genny Lite (sp?) in particular for some reason. Late 90s in Pittsburgh and WV I upgraded to drinking bottled stuff (that meant it was good quality, right?), and drank a lot Yuengling Black and Tan, Killian's Red, and Dundees Honey Brown, with the occasional Pete's Wicked when I could find it.

BodiesLexus likes this.
  14. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (281) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

1980 ga. Southern(statesboro ga),miller lite 24 oz on draft $1.00 LADIES NIGHT THURSDAY> oh yeah ratio 5 to 1, never went home lonely.Dance and billiards all night

15. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

College 80's South Western Pennsylvania., Rolling Rock, 5 dollars a case, hangovers for free! Of course back then not a big problem.

16. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (65) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

Iowa 1997-2001. Toward the end of college I used to be able to pick up 30-packs of La Crosse Lager for what I swear was $8.88. I still enjoy La Crosse now whenever I can find it.

17. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Aspirant (206) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Kutztown '94. Lot's of Lord Chesterfield Ale and Milw. Best.

18. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Late 1969 to mid 1975 in NJ, then Iowa, then back to NJ again. My main "normal beer" choice was Ballantine XXX Ale (it was a very different beer than it is now). In the springtime, it was also always Pabst Bock (a beer which to this day I still very much miss). Chesterfield Ale and Yuengling Porter also found their way into the mix once I returned to NJ from Iowa.

My preferred premium choices back then...actually my first choices whenever finances allowed... were Ballantine IPA (which, factoring the inflation rate into the equation, was actually higher priced than even some of the priciest "craft" beers are today); also Löwenbräu Mäerzen, Bass Ale, and Prior Double Dark (when I could find it).

I am proud to say that Budweiser was never an option for me. :grinning:

19. Spreetaper

Spreetaper Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2014 New York

Late 90's - Milwaukee's Best
    Meanwhile my wife was in Chico drinking $2 pitchers of Sierra Nevada - no fair!

20. boogerisu

boogerisu Devotee (498) Aug 19, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

2002-2007 Iowa State. Whatever was on fire sale or 30 packs of Old Style.

21. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We flew into Morgantown -from Richmond- in early December 1969 in a snowstorm. It was Alleghany Airlines and I have never been that scared. I've been through a lot, but then I had 0 control and it was probably a good lesson. That runway just comes out of the mountain!

22. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (177) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

1) 96-98: Drake University (Des Moines)
    ~the go-to was always the holy trinity of Busch Light, Natty Ice or Ice House. But, on occasion I would pony up for a case of Leiny's Red
    2)98-01: North Central College (Naperville, IL)
    ~Once I transferred and worked pretty much full time (and turned 21!), I started drinking Bud Light mainly..BUT here's where I made my transition and found things like Caffrey's, Hoegaarden, Lefe. Having an extra dollar in my pocket certainly helped :slight_smile:

23. PatrickBeebe

PatrickBeebe Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Florida

While in the Marine Corps, used to be able to get 30 packs of Keystone Light for $9.99 at the post exchange (tax free). This was in '06-'11. In college now, and have drastically updated my habits/preferences.

24. xare

xare Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2006 Ohio

Turn of the millennium, NC, Abita Purple Haze, Yuengling Black & Tan, Rolling Rock, and Pilsner Urquell.

25. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Mizzou in the late '90's. We drank a surprisingly wide variety, thanks to the Columbia, MO Wal-Mart... I remember a lot of Budweiser (obviously), Red Stripe, a homebrew one of my roommates made (another roommate blasted some raspberry Renuzit over it while it was fermenting because "it was stinky", so probably not the best homebrew of all time...), the 3 Stooges Beer (awful but funny), Rolling Rock, Guinness, and I believe at the time Killian's was my favorite.

Threw a party in our basement once and I insisted on a keg of Killian's. Nobody would drink it but me and my Korean friend, so another roommate got a keg of Miller Lite that the solo-cup wielders tore through like a wildebeest surrounded by the world's hungriest pumas. Fun story... three months later, we threw another party and when the keg was tapped, we found that Killian's keg in the back of the basement. One of us (not me, swear to god) decided, fuck it, I'll tap it... and people drank it more readily than when it was fresh. Doubt we ever got our deposit back.

26. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Zealot (592) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey

Back in the early 90's it was Yuengling, Bass ale, and Grolsch.

27. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Mid 80s UMASS Amherst: Haffenreffer
    Mid 80 RIT ( Rochester NY):Milwaukees Best

28. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (180) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

'92-'96. Busch Light from the kegs at the Frat. Sam Adams Larger towards the end of my college career.

29. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (254) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

2004 I was a freshman. Won a ping pong tournament and got $10 gift card to Walmart. Gave it to my buddy with an extra $1 to get a 30 of keystone light.

30. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,018) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Also Syracuse, but mid 90s. Honey Brown, Molson, and Labatt were the popular beverages.

PatrickCT likes this.
  31. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,734) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Mid 2000's. Cuse.

Natty Lite, Bud Select, Red Dog (it was always around, somewhere, somehow, unfortunately), SA Boston Lager

PatrickCT likes this.
  32. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

03 - 07 Natty Lite, baby!! Bud Heavy on fancy nights.

I'm proud to say that by senior year I was pregaming most nights with a bomber of SNPA. Didn't have to worry about anyone stealing that beer!

33. Matt_Johnston

Matt_Johnston Initiate (80) Apr 23, 2014 Ohio

Michigan Early 90's

Busch Light Draft Cans, Milwaukee's Best, Coors Banquet beer.

Splurging meant a trip across the border to Windsor Canada to get some Canadian strength Molson or Labatt's.

Sheppard likes this.
  34. mark5692

mark5692 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 New York

Buffalo. Labatt Blue and Molson always tops. With a tight budget we get Busch, Old Vienna, Genesse, Pabst, Rolling Rock. Better than a lot and a great price. $15.99 for 30s.

35. MLDucky

MLDucky Defender (630) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Trader

University of Texas, 1998-02. Shiner was our fancy beer. My have things changed down here with the selection now available at some grocery stores. Analysis paralysis for a noob.

36. krome

krome Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Illinois

Late 1970s. Miller High Life when we bought local, or Point Special if we'd managed a recent road trip.

37. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (191) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

At WCU the same time, but did the 6 year plan. Was to much fun to give up

SRBush1974 likes this.
  38. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Michigan, mid 90's. Natty Ice, the Beast, Red Dog... and Boone's Farm for the ladies, cause we're classy like that.

Sheppard likes this.
  39. EvanMaldonado

EvanMaldonado Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Ohio

Currently at Ohio State now, and I skip anything macro, except for once in a while where I may put down a macro like bud or miller. I typically drink lots of IPAs and Stouts, mainly Bodhi and Jackie O's imperials (BB App, Oil, etc)

40. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (476) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

Bowling Green State University
    2000-2004
    Cans: Natural Light, Busch Light, Keystone Light
    Kegs: 1/2 barrel Natural Light

Whenever we threw a party, we would drive up to Michigan to buy 6 kegs. The last one would float by midnight and we would head to the bars... those were the days.

No clue what craft beer was back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.