Colorado Spots To Hit

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by fastfwd, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastfwd

fastfwd Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2003 Oklahoma

A bit out of the ordinary inquiry possibly – I’m ‘on the wagon’ so to speak. I had to give up my beloved beer. I got up to 270lbs at 5’6” and it was about to do me in. I am the first registered Oklahoma Beeradvocate though and I really enjoy the atmosphere still. I suppose it became something of a hobby for me and I dedicated so much time and money into it that I hate to abandon it altogether.

So, I’m planning a potential trip to Colorado this summer and I’m interested in opinions beyond the usual very useful ratings in the directories here, etc. My proposed trip is taking me through Gunnison, Paonia, Aspen, Denver, and possibly Colorado Springs. I might check out Boulder while I’m touring. It’s mostly geared toward camping and exploring the scenic views, but if there is something not to miss I might make a detour.

I suppose I’m looking for places that might have unique/good food and/or a killer atmosphere. I know Colorado takes beer pretty seriously – so, I might imagine there are several options like this? I hope so. I want to rock my old school Beeradvocate t-shirt in Colorado while I’m there and hit a notable establishment and possibly pick up a souvenir t-shirt beyond the usual Harley t-shirts while touring.

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,627) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Paonia is a really neat little town with a REALLY good restaurant called the Flying Fork. If you're heading through there it's not to be missed. It's really fresh, Italian-inspired food. Their website is a bit dated, but it'll give you a little bit of information:http://www.flyingforkcafe.com/
    Their own little brewery, Revolution is only about 100 yards away.
    That area is also famous for produce. You can get some of the best apples, peaches, and cherries around over there. There's even a hop farm (http://jackrabbithill.com/) nearby where several CO brewers get their hops.

3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,556) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

I'm a sucker for old school British/Irish pub types. Unfortunately the most 'authentic' in Denver (auld dubliner) has closed. But, Pints Pub and Bull & Bush have that atmosphere. Pints has 2 hand pull British style beers, and B/B has a solid line-up with pretty good fuud.

4. fastfwd

fastfwd Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2003 Oklahoma

Thanks for the tips! Anyone else who has any more ideas feel free to chime in! Like I said, I'm not drinking and I hate to miss out on the beer itself, but I know Colorado takes beer seriously and I'm keen to check out some of the cool beer bars!

5. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Defender (605) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

If you go through Colorado Springs, Trinity (Belgians) has beer and food. Phantom Canyon (English style) downtown also has solid beers and food. Bierwerks (German) is up the road into the mtns in Woodland Park. Pikes Peak Brew in Monument is also doing solid beers. Bristol is the most well-known in the springs, their Black Fox beers are the ones to try.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,360) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

How is the black fox diablo? I always mean to stop and ceck it out but always forget.

7. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Defender (605) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

Its good. It's not currently on tap tough. They have two other Black Fox beers on tap. They do a weekly Cask on Sat at Bristol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.