Ireland Coming to Ireland.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by PatrickJamesMulcahy, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatrickJamesMulcahy

PatrickJamesMulcahy Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Minnesota

I just found out that I will be coming to Ireland March 16th! We will be staying 1 night in Kilkenny, 2 nights in Killarney, 2 nights in Galway, and back to Dublin for a night. Any beer suggestions for me? I will be coming from Minnesota. Thanks!

2. dalon1

dalon1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2007 United Kingdom (England)

In Dublin I'd recommend the Porterhouse in Parliament Street for good beer. For pubs with a good vibe try any of the pubs in Temple Bar. For the other cities you mention try http://www.ratebeer.com/places/countries/100/.

3. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Initiate (163) Feb 4, 2003 California

Just got back from a trip to Dublin and Galway. In Galway I'd recommend the Salt House for sure. Just up the street is the Bierhaus which has a more "international" tap selection (i.e. lots of InBev brands) but some Irish beers.

As for Dublin, Porterhouse (Temple Bar), L. Mulligan Grocer and W.J.Kavanagh's were my favorites. The new-ish Black Sheep and Brew Dock (Sister pubs to the Salt House) were good as well. Had decent pints at Farrington's (Temple Bar), O'Neill's and the Bull & Castle. The Palace Bar (Fleet St) Surprised me with draft O'Hara's Leann Folláin and Cask Dungarvan Helvick Gold (tho' the latter was a bit past its prime). Some info on my blog.

PatrickJamesMulcahy likes this.
  4. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Devotee (449) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Spent 3 months in Galway in college. I enjoyed Busker Brownes and the Quays pubs but I couldn't say that the beer selection was all that great there. Awesome place and better people, can't beat the people... Enjoy and have a pint of fresh Guinness for me!

5. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,680) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

I wouldn't try and beat an Irishman if I were you, tough bunch the Irish, I won't end well.

boddhitree likes this.
  6. celfan

celfan Disciple (322) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

what i remember about the killenny area (and much of Ireland) is driving down the street with an 1/8th of an inch between me and the oncoming cars and on the other side an 1/8th of an inch between me and the parked cars and pedestrians. i really thought i was going to get into a car accident going 2 mph.

7. Eucrid

Eucrid Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Ireland

If you can get it, theres a free phone app called Beoir that will let you find craft beer all over Ireland. Its great if you're moving from town to town as there are a lot of pubs with one or 2 local craft beers in places where there are no specific craft pubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe