Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Commons Brotherly Love Release

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by w_klon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. w_klon

Beer Trader

I figure most have heard about it. For those who haven't, here is the info:

We’re releasing the third beer from the Beetje Series on Thursday, February, 21st at 5:00pm at the brewery.

Brotherly Love is our Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Little Brother, aged in second-use Bourbon barrels with Northwest grown sour cherries and Ecuadorian cacao nibs roasted by Woodblock Chocolate in SE Portland.

While just 150 bottles were released in 2012, production was increased this year to yield 50 cases. This year’s vintage has an enhanced chocolate note provided by the nibs selected during a tasting at Woodblock Chocolate.

Brotherly Love will be available in 750ml capped bottles for $15 per bottle and $160 a case. On the release day we will have both the 2012 and 2013 versions on tap, as well as chocolate from Woodblock using the same Ecuadorian cacao as the beer.

The Beetje Series is a celebration of The Commons Brewery’s nano roots. First brewed in 2010 on a one-barrel system in Mike Wright’s backyard garage, these small batch beers pay homage to the rustic brewery that continues to inspire us.

The tasting room is located at: 1810 SE 10th Avenue, Unit E (entrance on SE Stephens between 10th & 11th). Tasting room hours are Thursday 5-9pm, Friday 5-9pm, Saturday 2-9pm.

My question is: Is there gonna be a bottle share? Anybody know? :)

2. hopsbreath

Not going to this personally, but did anybody NOT love Maybelle? Holy shit that beer was crazy good! Possibly my favorite from them to date. Although, I've yet to have Brotherly Love...

Shmeal, Sarlacc83 and digita7693 like this.
  3. digita7693

Beer Trader

Yes, absolutely wonderful. Going to hopefully grab a couple more bottles this weekend.

4. Sarlacc83

Second that. While Eleanor is my favorite thing they've done so far, Maybelle may well grow into the # slot. And for $8 a bottle? Get out of here.

Can't wait for Brotherly Love. Though I might have to hold off on purchasing much due to the insane amount of beer released this month. When did February become the new November? Geesh.

5. hopsbreath

$7.20/bottle with the case discount. GTFO of here.

LoPo87 likes this.
  6. Shmeal

Beer Trader

Eidolon takes the cake for me.

Anyone know if there is still Maybelle at the brewery? I might need some more...

7. w_klon

Beer Trader

Per Facebook: Yes, we do have Maybelle available in the Tasting Room. Monday at 12:21pm

8. Spaceloaf

I stopped by for the Brotherly Love release and saw one guy buy a case of Maybelle, so it seems like they still have a decent amount left.

I picked up some Maybelle myself. For $8 Maybelle vs $15 Brotherly Love, the Maybelle won out.

9. bfg75

Beer Trader

Thanks for the heads up on both Maybelle and Brotherly Love guys...I really liked Eidolon so I'm excited to try both of these and had a friend grab one of each for me today.

10. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

Anybody willing to part with some Maybelle? I would love a bottle, or maybe two.

11. jgrgas

The next batch of Maybelle is almost ready, maybe ready for sale in less than 2 months. We're really happy with how the culture is developing, a touch more acidity on this batch and a more pronounced fruity Brett profile.

We've got six empty white barrels still, three of which are getting a lambic base recipe to be inoculated with a blend of dregs, including healthy pitch from Armand'4. The remaining three will be filled with the Maybelle base and inoculated with Brett C to make Annabelle.

hopsbreath, csano, Kopfschuss and 7 others like this.
  12. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

I can't wait! Thanks for the info.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe