Conclave Brewing in Hunterdon county, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NJ1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. NJ1

NJ1 Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 New Jersey

This place opened a few weeks ago. I was there on Saturday. Amazingly made beers. I think this place is focusing on making good beer rather than making a bar like most of these new place that are popping up are. They only had 4 beers on tap but they were all very good. I spoke with one of the owners and it seems like they are focused on making their few beers excellent rather than just trying to put out more and more to get people in the door. We will see how this works for them.

2. yankeepride

yankeepride Disciple (374) Jan 16, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

My impressions exactly. All four I had on their 2nd weekend were above-average, and the pepper stout would be tradeable all over the country if they bottled it. These guys are a clear cut above most of the other smaller startups in the area, IMO.

HermitDan likes this.
  3. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (69) Mar 12, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The mosaic saison they had on tap was insanely insanely insanely good. Like just hook it up to my veins good. The other three beers I had were delicious as well. The guys working there couldn't be nicer. I have a feeling great things are coming. Score another one for NJ

MLeicht likes this.
  4. Bferber

Bferber Disciple (330) Apr 17, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Sounds interesting! I'm a big fan of that brewers' philosophy. Do they do growler fills there or just beers on premise?

5. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (69) Mar 12, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah they had 1 and 2L fills when I was there (though not everything was available for growler fills)

6. jmerizio

jmerizio Initiate (144) Apr 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Stopped in there a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed their beers...especially the mexican morning...

The tasting room was nice but very warm and the overflow area (essentially the brewery itself) was ridiculously hot

7. JRGNYR

JRGNYR Initiate (138) Sep 16, 2010 New Jersey

This is great to hear. Of course they open after I've moved out that part of the state :slight_smile:. Timing has always been one of my shortfalls. Definitely will try to get there soon.

8. schteve

schteve Aspirant (211) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

I was there on Saturday as well. I thought all 4 were good. The stouts were better than the saisons. Looking forward to having them close by. Nice guys, too.

9. NJ1

NJ1 Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 New Jersey

They released a pale ale this weekend. Another winner for sure. Hoppy pale ale, smooth, ultra drinkable

10. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (291) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

MOSES, mosaic saison is on this weekend

Drankenstein likes this.
  11. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (267) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

Thinking of heading up here on Saturday or the next.

Anyone know of any good dining places nearby (even if its Frenchtown), where there might be outside seating or such?

12. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (281) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Not yet been to the brewery but if they have Mexican Morning on draft make sure you give it a try. I had it at the NJCB cask event and it was the best beer I had there.

13. Axic10

Axic10 Zealot (593) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Not terribly far, but Vault in Yardley has outside seating. Triumph in New Hope as well.

14. schteve

@Axic10 has good calls, or...

If you head up to Rt. 22 Nik's Wonderbar has an outside patio and a very good beer list. Probably has Conclave on tap, too.

Follow 513 up to 22 and head west. not far from there.

15. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (719) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

They have a new beer on tap this week: Diplomatic Immunity Belgian Pale Ale, which replaced Hop Ritual by the looks of it

[​IMG]

And would also concur with @Axic10 suggestion; Vault is not too far, if you're seeking for more exploration in/around the area

16. Axic10

Beer Trader

I really need to get back up there, as it's only about a 15 minute drive. I haven't tried the Legend IPA and the Diplomatic Immunity sounds good. My wife keeps mentioning the Mexican Morning (I don't blame her). If only that was available for growlers.

17. schteve

Legend was pretty good. It looks like they're working on another IPA that sounds good.

AFA Mexican Morning, I'd be happy with at least a full pour!

18. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Hey now, Mexican Morning might not be NJ best kept secret, if growler fills are warranted; Conclave will be flooded. On another note, and as to @schteve comment, looking forward to Gravitational Waves hitting the tap lines (hopefully) soon

[​IMG]

digdug1810 likes this.
  19. beertoro

What's the consensus on the brown ale and the blonde? Those are the two styles my girlfriend would probably try in addition to the IPA.

20. Bdalik

Bdalik Aspirant (266) Feb 1, 2015 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Gravitational Waves is an East Coast tyle IPA where as the Legend IPA is a traditional west coast style with classic hops and bitterness. Gravitational is hopped to hell. I would know, I helped brew it.

digdug1810 likes this.
  21. beertoro

Release it tomorrow..........? :grinning::grinning::grinning:

22. Axic10

Beer Trader

Looking forward to this based on your description. Any idea of the release date for it?

23. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (291) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Next Friday for sure.

Fahmie25 and digdug1810 like this.
  24. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Aspirant (218) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

finally going to make it this weekend.. what size grolwers do they fill?

25. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

Gravitational Waves out Friday! I was drinking it this past weekend and it is quite awesome. @Burntfoot we fill 32 oz and 64 oz growlers of any brand or kind. Come on through!

Burntfoot likes this.
  26. renegade700

renegade700 Initiate (120) Jun 3, 2015 New Jersey

They are stepping up their game.Diplomatic Immunity is excellent and had a,taste of Gravitational Waves look out that's a killer IPA.

27. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Aspirant (218) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

can not wait.. I have been meaning to visit!

28. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Oh Bejesus...

"Next Friday Gravitational Waves will be released for the first time. An ultra-juicy rediculously hopped cloudy I.P.A. Galaxy, Mosaic,Citra"

29. beertoro

Lineup for tonight:
    Heart of Glass
    Diplomatic Immunity
    Gravitational Waves (!!!)
    Equinox Brown
    Espresso Milk Stout
    Mexican Morning

I'm super excited to be there tomorrow.

Timmush likes this.
  30. schteve

I'm going to try to get there tomorrow.

Need to go to Lowes, anyway...:wink:

Timmush likes this.
  31. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Was Gravitational Waves worth the drive to fill a growler tomorrow?

32. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Haha amazing. Was literally about to check the ratings on this beer this second. Was planning on stopping by tomorrow. No kid's games this weekend due to Passover so a rare free Saturday all day!

But alas, no reviews yet.

VABA likes this.
  33. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

It was one of the busiest Friday's we've had at the brewery yet. I filled a bunch of growlers of Gravitational and I saw lots of people with full pours of it. It really is a well made beer.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  34. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Screw it, I'll be there.

Bdalik likes this.
  35. beertoro

My body is ready for today.

36. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

Come say hey if you'd like! I'll be the lanky kid filling growlers all day.

37. beertoro

@Bdalik Will do! I'll see you in a little bit.

38. beertoro

G-Waves is straight up legit.

DrStiffington likes this.
  39. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

You still there? I'm here right now.

40. beertoro

Still here. Wearing blue standing with my girlfriend and having G Waves. Sorry I saw this now.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.