Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

consecration food pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Jefeipa, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefeipa

Jefeipa May 6, 2009 Arizona

My girlfriends favorite beer is Consecration, so I wondering what food I should pair it with for Valentines day dinner?

2. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Depends. Are you having V-day dinner with her?

Mayor Quimby bought 5 dresses for Valentine's Day. 1 in wife size (huge) 4 in mistress size (small).

3. EricMc513

EricMc513 Feb 27, 2007 California

I've had good luck with buttery deserts: shortbread cookies and madeleines. Dark chocolate, too.

I know it often gets paired with duck confit, too. I think many fatty foods will do well as the acidity will cut through it.

4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Molten Chocolate Cake. The duck confit is also spot on.

5. WickedGoodBBQ

WickedGoodBBQ Mar 8, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think barrel aged sours go great with the same foods you might match with champagnes (think rose champagne). Oysters, intense cheeses, charcuterie, smoked salmon, a fried appetizer like say crab fritter, steamed fish with curry sauce or chocolate dessert.

6. hoppy99

hoppy99 Feb 28, 2009 Florida

Consecration goes great with goat cheeses. I've had good pairings with cheeses like Purple Haze, Humboldt Fog, and a goat cheese that was flavored with truffles. I'd use the plain fresh bread or plain crackers such as water crackers so you don't overpower the cheese or the beer.

7. Treb0R

Treb0R Dec 12, 2012 Oregon

I too, would recommend it as an aperitif (before your main meal) but perhaps with some creamy cheese and crackers or some kind of elegant amuse-bouche. The sourness will open up your palate and offer intrigue to the meal to come.

Jefeipa likes this.
  8. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Duck would be a great choice, pork belly, as someone mentioned, fatty richness... mmm m mm

9. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I made seared duck breast which I then braised for a little while in Consecration with some creme de cassis. Pulled it out to keep it rare, and then made a reduction for the sauce (de-fatted.) Served over faro pilaf with almonds & dried black currants - with the beer to accompany. Everyone raved. Can't wait to do it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe