Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

consecration food pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Jefeipa, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jefeipa

My girlfriends favorite beer is Consecration, so I wondering what food I should pair it with for Valentines day dinner?

2. Beerandraiderfan

Depends. Are you having V-day dinner with her?

Mayor Quimby bought 5 dresses for Valentine's Day. 1 in wife size (huge) 4 in mistress size (small).

3. EricMc513

I've had good luck with buttery deserts: shortbread cookies and madeleines. Dark chocolate, too.

I know it often gets paired with duck confit, too. I think many fatty foods will do well as the acidity will cut through it.

4. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

Molten Chocolate Cake. The duck confit is also spot on.

5. WickedGoodBBQ

Beer Trader

I think barrel aged sours go great with the same foods you might match with champagnes (think rose champagne). Oysters, intense cheeses, charcuterie, smoked salmon, a fried appetizer like say crab fritter, steamed fish with curry sauce or chocolate dessert.

6. hoppy99

Consecration goes great with goat cheeses. I've had good pairings with cheeses like Purple Haze, Humboldt Fog, and a goat cheese that was flavored with truffles. I'd use the plain fresh bread or plain crackers such as water crackers so you don't overpower the cheese or the beer.

7. Treb0R

I too, would recommend it as an aperitif (before your main meal) but perhaps with some creamy cheese and crackers or some kind of elegant amuse-bouche. The sourness will open up your palate and offer intrigue to the meal to come.

Jefeipa likes this.
  8. smakawhat

Subscriber

Duck would be a great choice, pork belly, as someone mentioned, fatty richness... mmm m mm

9. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

I made seared duck breast which I then braised for a little while in Consecration with some creme de cassis. Pulled it out to keep it rare, and then made a reduction for the sauce (de-fatted.) Served over faro pilaf with almonds & dried black currants - with the beer to accompany. Everyone raved. Can't wait to do it again.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe