Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Considering BeerAdvocate magazine

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate magazine' started by TappaKeggaBrew, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TappaKeggaBrew

I'm considering ordering the magazine (and it seems a pretty small outlay of cash even if I don't renew in the future), but I wanted to know:
    -How would you rate the content?
    -How many pages does it typically run? How much of it is true content vs just advertisments?
    -Is it inappropriate for younger audiences? I'm thinking it would be a great addition to the reception area at my business (after I read it, of course!) for the men, primarlily -- "People" and "Time" just don't get a guys attention like magazines about guns, cars, and BEER! -- but it would have to be free of pictures of topless women and profanity-laced headlines in case a kid picks it up...

2. PHBoiler

Beer Trader

Great value at the price point, and it is article driven so it would be completely appropriate for the waiting area. It's a pretty quick/easy read as well. The articles cut to the chase. I just subscribed and I'm one issue in. I don't know why I waited so long other than sheer laziness.

3. telejunkie

it's not Beer magazine...highly recommend it for just such an audience. Best beer lifestyle publication out there. I read it cover to cover.

4. Brenden

Subscriber Beer Trader

I've found it to be the best beer publication available. Aside from that, I'm not sure what could be done to improve it...maybe go back to scoring the beers that are reviewed on the last few pages. It's an excellent magazine, though. Less fluff and more useful knowledge.

5. Smitty1988

Beer Trader

No profanity from what I can remember, certainly no topless women. I have a young son and I leave it out without worrying. Great content, love to hold some paper in my hand, and it forces you to read reviews for beers that are not on your Radar.

6. dianimal

I don't have a subscription, but it sounds like a great deal. What have you got to lose?

7. BenAdvocate

BenAdvocate Sales Manager
    Staff Member Subscriber

8. BeerRollups

I love my subscription and have renewed twice now. I read it cover to cover and find it both entertaining and informative. There's a good mix of short articles and longer articles, beer reviews, homebrew recepies and food recepies, interviews, etc. I think it's a great layout too. I'm surprised more people who post on here don't have subscriptions.

9. Skittle34

While not subscribed, I do pick one up regularly from the big stack at the local brewery. It's a quick read, but if you have past issues and don't mind rereading certain articles it's not that bad. I do wish they did a little more with home brewing, but then again beggars can't be choosers.

10. TappaKeggaBrew

Well, I bought it.
    It is pretty good, although I agree that a regular feature on home-brewing, plus a monthly reader submission, would do it some good. Also, some articles are not completely free of bias (but I don't think the editors ever claim otherwise)

11. ccox

Glad to hear you bought it! :) Thanks for the feedback -- we're considering both of those suggestions. And yes, our editorial columns do have a point of view. Hope you enjoy the mag!

12. TappaKeggaBrew

Thanks, Courtney.
    After I read it (cover to cover, including the adverts -- you can tell your advertisers that!), I put it out among the other magazines at my business, and I've seen a few clients (male and female) reading it :)

ccox likes this.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

Thanks for signing up and spreading the word. Cheers!

14. KenC

Subscriber

Checked out my sample copy last week, I be a subscriber! Don't know why I have alway lagged behind.

15. VAcrossr

Subscriber

I renewed after letting my subscription slip. Glad to read BA again!

16. drewbage

Subscriber

I feel like chopped liver.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe