Consumers urged not to abandon pubs over Dry January amid "chasm of debt"

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by Todd, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,634) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/consumers-covid-people-government-north-london-b1985203.html

beer_beer, Shanex and EmperorBevis like this.
  2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,254) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

A lot of the people I am friends with in the trade are struggling atm

have taken a look but the Tryanuary (the Antithesis of Dryanuary, ie try new styles, beers & brewers rather than go dry) Twitter accounts have be silent since April.

#2 EmperorBevis, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Shanex likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My impression of British pubs is that the social aspect is just as important as the beer drinking (if not more important), so it would seem that those going 'dry' for a month would miss that aspect and would be willing to continue their pub visits and pay for soft drinks (do pubs offer them?) or simply be willing to pay for a glass of water or tea/coffee (are these typically available?) just to yak away with their friends. Unrealistic?

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Okay, then I’m doing a pub crawl to compensate then lol

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,381) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Pictures please. Probably make a great new thread.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  6. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Just three pubs because, hey covid.

First into The Marble Arch, pretty much Craft before anyone had any idea of craft over here.

Stuck to the Marble beers there with a pint of their red ale Rufus (I picked the beer because of Bill & Ted) pint of Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads a most agreeable WCIPA & a third of Armontillado Barrel Aged Barleywine, sherry & Barleywine is a great combination with a deft touch of lime tasting hops to cut away any cloying sweetness. Took a can of their IPL as a carry out.

on the the Crown & Kettle where I had a pint of Neptune’s Abyss oatmeal stout, very good if very slightly lack of body,

Lastly The Smithfield Tavern, Blackjack’s tap their British Dark Stout really hit the spot, creamy molasses, fortifying body. So did their ESB Extra Pub Ale, a grand balance of biscuity malt and peppery hops. Finished with Overtone’s Spice Jam, an ideal beer to face the cold as it was like drinking Fiery Jawbreakers & a carry out of one of their canned DIPAs and a 2018 bottle Siren Maiden Barleywine

[​IMG]
    A Mosaic in the marble arch and one of the pump clips
    The pint I had in the Crown & Kettle and their ceiling
    The bar in the Smithfield Tavern & pump clip

7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,381) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

@EmperorBevis

How were the crowds? Did it look like a pandemic was raging?

8. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

It was a Sunday Evening, I was getting there around the time the after work drinkers were going & left just before the quick one before the weekend finished
    The Crown & Kettle was about 3/4s full by tables
    About ten people in the Smithfield & the same number in The Marble Arch, where it was just plain odd being able to get a seat

9. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

42 unique different beers tried for Tryanuary from 31 breweries 6 of which are local
    So far, and there is my birthday a week tomorrow, so it hasn’t stopped yet
    though I am glad of a couple of beerless nights at the moment to keep it sensible lol

PapaGoose03 and Shanex like this.