Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Controversial new label from Mikkeller: Mexas Ranger

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmgrub, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunkistxsudafed

as a New Mexican, (ie mexican food snob) i think this sounds gross...

2. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

It was posted on twitter last night by a few people ...

3. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

I fail to see any stereotype or racism portrayed in that label.

4. imbrue001

So its parody of a road sign. Is the road sign offensive? No.
    Does it mock the people (immigrants or rangers or otherwise)? No.
    Can you get all of these ingredients in Texas? Is it common knowledge? Yes and yes.

If you want to get offended, how about the tons of labels that depict devils or evil in a cool manner.
    It's so common now that its kind of cliche and easy to ignore.

5. hhkal17

Haha that's one of the first things I noticed. I was thinking, "damn that pepper is huge compared to her."

6. MLucky

So, if someone makes a beer label depicting the KKK lynching a black man, and the name of the beer is something that plays upon a well-known racial stereotype, that would be Ok? How about maybe a picture of a woman with a couple black eyes and a man with balled up fists standing over her and a beer with a name that made light of domestic violence?

Sorry, but the defenses you're offering don't really hold water. It is certainly possible for humans to produce inanimate objects that offend other humans. When they offend people of a certain race, or gender, they become kind of dangerous, because those kinds of things have been used to legitimize violence, laws that discriminate, social prejudices, etc. It's always a difficult call to say when something crosses the line from being merely distasteful to something that ought not to be allowed, but generally the idea is that it's the group that's being depicted that gets to have the most say about whether that depiction is offensive. So it's not really up to us white boys to dismiss concerns about a depiction of mexican immigrants by saying, "hey, it doesn't offend me." I can guarantee you some Latinos will find this offensive. Hundreds of people die every year crossing the border. Without getting into the whole, complicated debate about immigration, I don't think it's a stretch to say the label is a tad insensitive. True, there are more important things to worry about. There almost always are. But they're going to catch some flak for this, and they probably should.

7. Longstaff

Beans are not that unusual of an ingredient for making beer - just another starch. See Heavyweight Perkunnos hammer / Victory Baltic Thunder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe