Controversy Surrounds Trillium's Labor Practices, Former Employee Alleges Deceptive Biz Practices

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by abagofit, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Well then you'd agree that there are usually a lot more nuances to labor issues than a company simply "being a douchebag" (same can be said for just saying "running a business is hard")....and again, I'm not defending any of their poor HR moves that were made like having loyal employees re-interview for a position they already had; clearly from our point of view here it really is a douchey thing to do. Unless the employees are under-performing or wasn't getting the job done that is no way to treat hard work and loyalty.

Anyway, back to work; I'm becoming my very own labor issue.

2. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (225) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

In light of recent events...I found this an interesting quick visit down memory lane. Last 3 paragraphs are the best.

http://www.beerscribe.com/2014/12/2...itional-details-of-closure-by-state-revealed/

Trillium Brewing Reopens, Additional Details Of Closure By State Revealed

Multiple outlets are reporting today that the Trillium Brewing Company, located in Boston’s Fort Point neighborhood, has reopened today after a several week closure. The reasons for the brewery’s closure were shrouded in considerable mystery, with its owners making few public statements, usually on BeerAdvocate.com, about the situation. With the re-opening, more details are now available.

According to an investigator’s report obtained from the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC), on November 23, 2014, the Boston Police Licensing Division contacted the ABCC to alert it that Trillium might be operating without a proper 2014 license. After administratively determining that it had not issued Trillium a 2014 license, investigators from the ABCC visited the brewery and determined that it was operating without a proper license. When investigators were able to buy a growler of beer (for $23.31 the report notes), Trillium was immediately closed by the state and its owners sought to renew its Farmer-Brewery license for 2014. At that point, it had been operating for nearly a year without a proper license.

Trillium’s owner, JC Tetreault, reportedly told the ABCC investigators that he had recently become aware that the brewery had not yet renewed its license and he had the license renewal in an envelope, which he showed the investigators. He apologized for the mix-up and immediately said he would correct the situation.

Trillium thereafter submitted its application for the license renewal and the ABCC held a hearing on December 9, 2014, on the request. Today the ABCC issued Trillium a 2014 license, nearly one month after it was closed.

The ABCC has confirmed that Trillium did not apply for a renewal of its 2014 Farmer-Brewery license until December 2, 2014, following the visit from ABCC investigators. The ABCC further explained that it sent Trillium a renewal notice on November 1, 2013. When no application was received, the agency sent Trillium a reminder on March 4, 2014 and another communication on October 15, 2014.

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,914) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

While I agree with this generalization, it’s still just that, a generalization.

Given the context of this particular situation, I imagine they could find a similar job in the Boston area without issue. It’s not like they’re Directors at a Fortune 500 company.

That still doesn’t make what Trillium did right...far from it.

I think it can work more than being a dick about it can.

Assuming you bring facts to the table.

While I love your posting style (don’t change) I’ve argued with many people here and never been reported.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat (or maybe saying there’s more than one way to barrel-age a beer is more appropriate here :wink:)

In my opinion that was a garbage article. Stating rumor as fact and then saying there should be a “tip jar”. What is this, 1995?

They have their POS set up to suggest tipping, albeit ridiculous amounts like upwards of 25%.

But as @jesskidden said, they should still make it more obvious given the employees situation.

Yup.

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

After reading all these posts I wanted to ask this. How many employees have left Trillium since this happened? Does anyone know if they are walking out? Just curious because I seem to not hear anything about folks leaving this vile business:wink:

#1084 AZBeerDude72, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

The most controversial bit in this whole mess is the referral to tequila as ‘brewers magic’.

Everyone knows its whiskey and blow...:grin:

6. GoOSU

GoOSU Initiate (143) Oct 6, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Can anyone confirm that the FP location is charging a additional $1 tax above the required state tax for onsite draft pours? If so, have they commented on what this tax is?

7. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dilly dilly tequila barrel commercial.

GuyFawkes, chrismattlin and 4truth like this.
  8. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (468) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Expect to be disappointed if you are looking for juicy IPAs.

9. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana

Haven't ever had a Trillium beer, and now don't care if I do. Personally, I thought something was funny when that outside contractor worker got burned so bad working at the brewery. I work construction, and when something like that happens it's because people are being rushed, deadlines are being pushed and safety is only a hassle because of the time it takes.

10. AyatollahGold

People are scared for jobs still from the recession, when you couldn't get one. It has people still thinking they can't get another. Sad and unfortunate.

11. chipawayboy

Trader

Recession? You mean 9 years ago? Unemployment hasn't been as low as it is now in the US since 1970; most people can get a job.

[​IMG]

12. AyatollahGold

Oh I know most people can get a job now. But yes, what happened nine years ago still has people scared they can't.

13. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Did you get a free perfectly engineered pint glace at Doyles tho?

14. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (97) Mar 10, 2018 New York

But can they get a job that pays enough to save up for a down payment and eventually afford to own a home ? A job that provides medical and life insurance, and a retirement plan ?

LeRose, bret717, smutty33 and 10 others like this.
  15. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (206) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Looks like they're going to take part of Sierra Nevada's fundraiser for the CA fire.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (177) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

However, their Fayston Maple Stout is fantastic, and their 2x/3x Sunshine IPAs are expertly crafted, if not "juicy". Lawson's, like The Alchemist is not a purveyor of NEIPA, and people expecting that are setting themselves up for disappointment.

17. AyatollahGold

Very hard to. And yet another great point on why it's true.

18. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (97) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I don't think the concept of cashier jobs for heads-of-households is working out all that well.

Of course everyone has to begin their career somewhere, and I cannot speak for millennials as to their priorities... but I realize now that there are many middle class Americans in my generation (tail-end of baby boom) who have reached an age where they never would have imagined that they'd still be 'just getting by'. Their disappointment and dissatisfaction can be stoked into anger, and in the worst case, they become easy targets for indoctrination by politicians, radio talk show hosts, religious leaders, etc. That's what I see, anyway.

Enough politicking for now... wife and I are headed out to get a Christmas tree and then hit a local brewery for a refreshment and growler-fill.

19. AyatollahGold

Enjoy buddy. Cheers!

JoePasko likes this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Indeed. Gramps always said change is the child of anger and determination.

21. jtg5678

jtg5678 Initiate (150) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

you're right. we know that, by and large, companies will exploit their workers (especially at the lowest rung of the hierarchy) as much as they can get away with. so it is absolutely up to workers to organize to effect change. this ex-employee calling them out did exactly that. trillium re-instituted the higher wages. it's not perfect by any stretch, but it's a gain for the employees. this person coming out with these allegations should be celebrated, not derided.

#1101 jtg5678, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  22. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (225) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

HopsAreDaMan and meefmoff like this.
  23. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (172) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Jesus. All that article did was get people who still don't understand how tip assisted wages work riled up over nothing. As low a move as the drop in $8hr to $5 for current employees was, even the guy who blew the whistle on all this said the employees are compensated fairly. Now if it's fair to us as consumers, well...no.

24. chipawayboy

Trader

And the outrageous corporate actions continue. Trillium skips Permutation #69 in its ongoing and popular series of experimental beers. I’m with @Sweatshirt — I’m done with these bastards!!!! :grin:

[​IMG]

25. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Those growler prices are much more reasonable than I would have expected after seeing the prices on the menu of their new location.

nsheehan likes this.
  26. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Guess they are more affordable when filled with trub :slight_smile:

27. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

I've found their beer to be ok, but way overpriced. I voted with my feet and go other places now.

Oh, I just forget, they would charge for the cardboard box for the expensive beer I just bought. Suck it.

#1107 ElmerTLee, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  28. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Good on them. Now go back to the old fermentation profile...

DucRacer900 likes this.
  29. AZBeerDude72

30. bla211

bla211 Initiate (117) Mar 17, 2015 Colorado

31. dhaakon

dhaakon Initiate (152) May 30, 2005 New York

need to apologize for permutation 68

32. franktank18

franktank18 Initiate (17) Apr 13, 2017 New Hampshire
    Trader

"Regarding the quality of our beer, we hold our products to the same high standard. As a practice [italics added] we do not add spirits to our beer, we do not market beers as barrel-aged if they do not spend time in barrels, and the beer we fill our growlers with is no different than our packaged beer. All of our beer is constantly monitored by our retail team, quality assurance lab, and production team."

Does the above italicized passage imply to anyone else that there may have been instances where the subsequent clauses (no spirits, non-BA, growlers) were not true?

33. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (154) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Translation - “In response to all of the bad publicity we’ve received, and recent decline in sales, we are pleased to announce we are increasing salaries to all of our retail staff”.

34. Ajibajiba

Ajibajiba Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2018 Montana

Wow, the guy who started this all here is an absolute hero to trillium employees. Jumping from $5 to $16 an hour and still getting tips is insane.

35. LeedsZimbabwe

LeedsZimbabwe Devotee (429) Nov 23, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

36. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (49) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Really glad to read the newest Trillium statement. Customers pushed back and voiced their concerns, and they finally listened.

AirBob and coteman6789 like this.
  37. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-news/always-improving

“We are raising the hourly rate our retail employees are paid to between $15 and $18 an hour.....Our customers still have the option to add a tip to recognize exceptional service.”

:slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. AZBeerDude72

Do you have any data to support that or is it just opinion they lost sales?

AlcahueteJ and tzieser like this.
  39. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

“We are moving our bonus structure from tenure based to merit based” = now we can screw everyone

meanmutt and AirBob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.