Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cooking with beer. Crash course

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by inchrisin, Jul 31, 2013.

1. inchrisin

Does anyone have any information on on which styles to use with what kinds of food? I'd like to cook with beer more and I don't know which direction to go. I know that dark beer usually holds up well with heavy food like stew or chili. What do you cook with light beers? A picture or graph would be amazing!

2. thestupidpunk

Try reducing dark beers as a glaze for meats and BBQ.

The issue with cooking with beer, especially if you reduce it to a sauce, is that the bitterness from the hops will be more concentrated, which is not something you may want with your food. That's why a lot of the recipes you'll find involve darker beers that are not that bitter.

I guess you can use lighter beers for a beer batter, but that's all I can think of.

3. Clonies720

Budweiser works very well for beer-battered shrimp. Best use I've found for it.

4. SteveB24

Beer Trader

a lot of beers will work for cooking, but if u want a light, airy batter use beer at room temperature and whisk vigurously to get rid of lumps.

5. Masemob

Only beer I use in cooking is Yuengling Lager and that is poaching my brats before I grill them. Seems to work out pretty well.

6. JrGtr

Subscriber

I've used lighter beers like pils or such to brine chicken with. Add some of that with sugar, salt, garlic, peppercorns and rosemary with cold water to cover the bird, then grill or smoke, yum yum.
    Generally I do not cook with hoppy beers - the bitterness is magnified in most foods. but browns, porters and stouts work great with beef and most pork.

inchrisin likes this.
  7. bpgpitt10

Check out the sharing your pairing thread. Lots of good examples there. Random off the top of my head to get your brain moving on it...
    • Sours or citrusy IPAs in vinaigrettes
    • Saisons for poaching fish then reducing into a sauce
    • Scotch ales for braising (then turning into a gravy). Also scotch ales in potato soup!
    • Porters can be used in damn near anything. Braise meat with them. Make BBQ sauce with them. Add to mustard for a unique kick
    • Belgians to make sauces
    • Sours to make gastriques
    • Flemish red to make a traditional flemish stew
    • IPAs and hefe's used as the base for a brine (pork or turkey... bierlerner has an awesome turkey brine he posted in that thread; I put one up for pork)
    My rule with hoppy IPAs is to simply not cook them. I add them into things like uncooked vegetable terrines, spreads (hummus!), or vinaigrettes. I've just been burnt too many times using them in cooking with all their bitter.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Craftbeer.com's website has a lot of useful info on pairing foods with beer styles - check it out.

9. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  10. inchrisin

Some great stuff above. Thanks a lot guys. I typically only used beer for beer can chickens and chili. I couldn't really think of what else to use it in. I've got some experimenting to do now. :)

11. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

I have used oatmeal stouts and veggie stock for my French onion soup recipe. You have to remember or be weary of the flavors that you are intensifying or trying to pull flavor from. I would stay away from fruity IPAs, milk stouts, and saisons due to the delicate flavors that might be overwhelmed with heat.

12. smakawhat

Subscriber

I did a sample of different beer styles for brats, the results were really interesting...

It's always fun to play around and try something new it doesn't hurt and you'll learn your own preferences. Dive in.

13. OldPenguinHunter

I used a local berliner weisse in some steamed mussels (currently one of my favorite recipies), just dump the bottle in to the liquid with your aromatics and steam away, then I take the mussels off when done, reduce the broth and pour over the reserved mussels.
    I added maltier pale into some pork burgers (homemade patties and such) and let that sit over night, then grilled the ever-livin'-shit out of 'em, damn good.

My general rule of thumb is to stay away from the hoppier beers in cooking, in using them, your food will take on that bitter note, sometimes the food can also take on a floral, perfumey chemical-like aroma and flavor- not good. Dark beers should go with food that can stand up to the flavor (that has the fat or gaminess) ex: porter braised short-ribs, stout meat pies, Rack of lamb with a reduced stout-balsamic glaze (tart, smokey notes works with the fat coming off of the meat that you shove into your gullet). Lighter beers work well with frying, though I have done some porter beer batter onion rings that rocked... they also work with lighter fair, ex: beer can chicken, berliner weisse ceviche, weiner schnitzel marinated in beer before frying, and so on. I really like light and or tart beer with seafood and maltier light beer (blondes, pales, and so on) with heavier lighter fair (poultry, lean pork, alligator?). To be honest, its all going to be something, and the best way to figure that stuff out is ask (like you're doing) but more importantly cook with the beer, maybe a chunk of salmon rocks when you reduce some imperial porter and use it as a glaze for the fish...

I hope this helps you, good luck in the kitchen and on the grill!

14. OldPenguinHunter

Holy geeze that scotch ale tater soup...

15. Brewing_Rob

-Use lighter styles/lagers to replace water when cooking rice.
    -put a cast iron pan on the grill and cook down some onions, splash a malty beer such as a brown ale periodically and keep cooking.
    -stouts with chocolate. Chocolate cake, milkshakes, etc.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe