Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cooking with beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Duane_Opfer, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Duane_Opfer

Long before I discovered the wonders of craft beer, I have enjoyed cooking and experimenting with food. I really enjoy cooking where wine is used. This evening, I did some cooking which called for a white wine and I substituted a citrusy DIPA. In the end, the citrusy flavors dissipated, leaving only bitterness which did not enhance the dish... i.e. failure.

So my question is this... have you used beer in cooking where the flavors of the beer are noticeable in the dish, or does applying heat in cooking waste an otherwise good beer?

Clarification... not looking for beer-soaked bratwurst, beer in chili, or beer battered ocean dweller...

2. theCoder

Beer Trader

I have used DIPA for a steak marinade and it was amazing. Er I think it was a DIPA, it was a can of Abrasive.

Duane_Opfer likes this.
  3. JrGtr

Subscriber

I cook with beer all the time. Sometimes it even makes it into the recipe. :)
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I actually made caramelized onions this evening, going into a pot of homemade macaroni & cheese. I tossed in a good-sized splash of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I was drinking at the time, and those flavors really pop in the onions. It was even slightly noticeable in the mac.
    I've used it in a slow-cooker brisket, in place of broth, water or wine, and it does add a different flavor.
    Also, have you looked in the beer & food forum here? Lots of great information there

4. PerHops

Beer Trader

I cook with beer pretty often, but I have not cooked with an ipa, or double ipa. I've had my best success using sucaba in a bbq sauce when I ran out of bourbon, and braising pork, or beef. I like using saisons when. Fantome braised pork shoulder is pretty spectacular

Duane_Opfer likes this.
  5. Duane_Opfer

Missed that... I feel sheepish :( Thanks!

6. JohnSnowNW

Beer Trader

Guinness and beef stew. I don't make beef stew without it.

7. ISmith87

Really good imperial stouts on my steak when I sear it in a pan. Flavor comes out great with some black pepper. It's a nice change up from the usual garlic pepper.

8. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

I think unless you are looking to bitter a food's taste you need to stay away from hoppy beers and go with malty beers for the flavor to enhance your dish. Porters, stouts, bocks, barleywines, etc. are what you're looking for.

9. HeadyBeer

You can cook with hoppy beers, you just can't add a lot of heat or you will extract bitterness. Here is an example of an awesome recipe that you can try.

Roasted garlic IPA mashed potatoes.

http://www.homebrewchef.com/RoastedGarlicIPAMashPotatoes.html

There are a bunch of good beer recipes on that link. I use troegs troegenator for the beer brined turkey recipe.

inchrisin likes this.
  10. cyde

Beer Trader

I would avoid cooking down hop heavy beer as it becomes bitter when concentrated. Although IPA sorbet & meringue is pretty tasty.

11. mverity

Beer Trader

I used Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere the other night in a pasta sauce. Bam Biere reduced by about half or more, then added whole milk, sriracha, worcestershire, and a ton of parmesan cheese. It was beyond amazing.

12. RockAZ

Beer Trader

I get the best results from porters and stouts cooked in various ways, but steaming veggies with lighter beers can work pretty well. Just used an IPA in the marinade for a whole chicken for BBQ - melted butter, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a few other spices with Modus Hoperandi IPA - brushed on while cooking after marinating overnight.

13. mookihouse

Beer Trader

I always use beer in the oven baked baby back ribs. About a cup of any beer except IPAs and cover the pan with foil. The beer steams the ribs and give it a nice flavor.

14. Kenzie

I tried reducing a chocolate red to use as a sauce. Epic fail. It was a similar experience to your beer. The full flavor of the brew was not there but only a bitter after taste. However, I have had some really good cooking experience with beer as well.

15. inchrisin

This is unstoppable! :)

mverity likes this.
  16. inchrisin

Beercan chicken. Always a winner.

17. mverity

Beer Trader

Did you give it a try?

18. mrbubbler

beer bbq sauce and beer brownies are always stellar.

19. Chinon01

The recipe you linked called for 2 oz of beer. So it's actually the quantity of IPA and not the cooking style that will intensify bitterness.

20. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

IPA and DIPA need to be used in a no or low heat environment. The heat will volitize the hop aroma and leave only bitterness. It is good for making ceviche as the citrus in the beer really plays well with the cilantro.

Wee Heavy as a brazing liquid, Lambic as a brazing liquid for Belgian meatballs and endives. Brown ale or milk stout with aged white cheddar bier cheese soup. Porter reduction with roasted garlic, mushrooms, and onions over a nice steak is great. List is endless. Deserts, breads, marinades.

21. inchrisin

I can't afford to yet.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  22. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator

I feel you on that one, gotta brew a clone of that beer if I am gonaan cook with it. I've seen Homebrew Chef recipes calling for Allagash Curiex, Rodenbach GC, and others... Really, you want me go drop $10-15 for a beer to cook with?

23. inchrisin

I'm all for cooking with something that tastes good, but It'd better be a $2 or $3 bottle of something. Good luck figuring a clone out. I'm sure you'll keep us all posted so we can start making more pasta.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  24. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator

Ha, last shot I took at culturing up JP dregs I got vinegar and mold that looked like fuzzy white prunes. May have better luck now w/o the 85℉ temps like before.

inchrisin likes this.
  25. Bierlerner

Agreed to a point. Find something similar to those. But a good tip is never spend on top dollar beer or bottom dollar beer. Find something right in the middle that tastes similar.

26. brewmandan

I've used an IPA in food recipes before. The hoppiness of the IPA was noticeable in the dishes I used it in. Just an idea for those of you who like hoppy beers and want to add that hop flavor to your food recipes that call for beer to be added.

27. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator

I just soaked sauerkraut in my IPL (Mosaic, Calypso, Simcoe) and served with sausages braised with CAP and IPL mustard and IPL glazed green beans and peppers. It was delish with home made pickled wax beans and yellow squash.

28. Thickfreakness

Old Chub onions for Brats/Dogs/Sausages
    DFH Punkin Pulled Pork - cooked 8-14 hrs in a crockpot
    JA Smoke & Dagger grilled Duck Breasts
    Saratoga IPA Pickles
    Rayon Vert vinaigrette over mixed greens salad
    SA Porch Rocker chicken tenders
    Southern Tier Choklat bread (used instead of Guinness)
    Beerios breakfast (Cheerios with beer instead of milk) FBS, Creme Brulee, Pumking, Well's Banana Bread, SA Merry Mischief, Brass Monkey... pick your poison (Apple Jacks with Angry Orchard Cinnful)
    DFH Olde School onion soup
    Negro Modelo Dirty Rice - Use beer instead of water or stock to boil/cook the rice in. (No instant rice!)

I could go on and on! LOL! I cook with, and experiment with beer all the time.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe