Cooperstown 10/4-6. Suggestions? Tastings?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RomaniIteDomum, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RomaniIteDomum

RomaniIteDomum Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2009 Florida

I will be visiting Cooperstown with a few co-workers next weekend. I've read a few of the older posts and I gather that there really isn't much in Cooperstown itself. City Beer Hall is on the list as are Ommegang and the HoF. Our ground transportation is still undecided so we are trying to stay within reasonable taxi (public transit?) distance. If anyone is interested in participating in a tasting and knows somewhere that would allow outside bottles we are exploring that option, too.

If anyone wants to set up an IP trade let me know. I'm sure we could work a few out.

2. Kiwi

Kiwi Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2004 New York

You can walk the length of the Cooperstown business district in under 5 minutes...I don't remember any taxi service ...

3. RomaniIteDomum

Hm. Good argument for a rental. I appreciate the info.

4. benetoh

benetoh Initiate (181) Feb 2, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Although its not beer related, I highly recommend going to the Fly Creek Cider Mill. There is a lot more than just cider there, and you can taste pretty much everything in the store.

5. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

Yeah no public transit in Cooperstown and Ommegang isn't walking distance. There's Cooperstown Brewing a small farmhouse style operation on the left hand side of the road as you are heading towards Ommegang. Down a driveway basically. Tiny little room for tasters and they make some nice stuff. Worth stopping by since you're right there. If you get a rental and have time to kill, head to RT 12N and Hamilton. Colgate College is there so it's a decent little town. Good Nature Brewing has a tap room there. All locally sourced ingredients in their beers. Nice stuff. I live just outside Hamilton if you make the trip shoot me a BM if you want to grab a pint or have any questions. Leaves are just starting to turn so take a nice ride and check things out if you're so inclined. Enjoy!

6. oberon

oberon Poo-Bah (6,521) Feb 12, 2002 North Carolina

I was in Cooperstown early in the week for a few days,Council Rock brewpub just south of town on Rte.28 had some solid offerings.Ommegang had some good stuff on tap and the food is awesome.

confer likes this.
  7. Mohican88

Mohican88 Initiate (191) Jan 20, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Great Suggestions so far, I'll add Butternuts Brewery to the list of places you may want to stop at. Will you be spending time in Albany as well as Cooperstown? I ask since that's where City Beer Hall is located.

8. RomaniIteDomum

Our time in Albany will pretty much be used at the airport and lunch at City Beer Hall. There is a trip to an unnamed sports bar in Utica planned for Saturday, too. It is looking like I will be lobbying for a rental.

9. BadJustin

Utica? Gotta be Swiftys, The Celtic Harp or Shots. Drink heavily prior to any.

10. polishkaz

polishkaz Disciple (338) May 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Don't know about city beer hall but just up the road in Schenectady is The Bier Abbey, great place for lunch and a few beers. Stopped there on my way from MA to Ommegang and it is highly recommended.

gpcollen1 likes this.
  11. RomaniIteDomum

With that endorsement I see why it was unnamed.

12. Mohican88

Mohican88 Initiate (191) Jan 20, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If you're going to Utica lobby like hell for Nail Creek Pub. Only place worthwhile.

13. BadJustin

^^^ this. The Green Onion isn't bad either. More of a hipster contingent though.

14. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

This guy has his act together...

polishkaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.