Cork Board of USA

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Swettenham_Shire, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Does anybody know the best store or website to find large pre-cut cork boards of the United States or individual states? I want to begin attaching unique bottle caps to thumb tacks and pinpoint the breweries I've enjoyed.

Thanks!

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,906) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That sounds like an awesome way to display a cap collection, but I have a feeling that you're going to end up buying a couple dozen 2' x 3' cork boards and cutting out the state shapes yourself. Good luck. Post a pic when it's finished.

3. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

Definitely sounds cool! I think Mothergoose is right as far as finding a US-shaped board - you'll probably have to shape it yourself. Maybe an educator-supply place might sell something like it? I was also thinking maybe getting a real basic wall map (one that doesn't have a bunch of busy-ness going on, like topography) of the US, like you'd find in an elementary school classroom, and glue it down? Also, maybe keep the oceans on the map - you might need the room for the coastal breweries, especially in small states. Watch out for the glue you use to attach the caps to the tacks, just in case you want to use them for a different project. Super glued tacks are a BITCH to take off without screwing up the cap. I had a friend who did that and they left a serious ripple when he pried them off to make a more permanent display (I later found a much better way and salvaged some). Anyway, if you need some caps, let me know. And post a pic, for sure!

Swettenham_Shire likes this.
  4. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I actually have plans to make an all-California one for a friend and was thinking of making some sort of decoupage of a map or just painted satin-black California-shaped board with the caps sort of laid out in a grid (kinda like my avatar) across the state, as opposed to putting the cap where it came from since breweries are generally concentrated in small areas (leaving all kinds of space in the Central Valley and southern desert areas).

5. Swettenham_Shire

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely post a pic when it's set up.

And I like the idea of doing just your home state as well, so I'll cut out a big state of Ohio and use all my local bottle caps.

6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,906) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Sounds like a lot of cutting work. Too bad you're not from one of the 'square' states. :wink:

7. Swettenham_Shire

^ Exactly why I was trying to find precut boards...

8. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Good luck finding what you're looking for (I just searched and found a few examples on Etsy folks are selling, but they look smaller than what you're looking for). Either way, this is a rad idea, and I dare say I may have to steal it for the man cave!

9. Swettenham_Shire

^ They also have a bigger version. Thanks for finding this. And they do individual states.

BrahptimusPrime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.