Corn Sugar vs. Table Sugar

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DeutschesBier, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DeutschesBier

DeutschesBier Feb 8, 2009 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'm brewing an IPA this weekend, and the recipe calls for 0.75lb of corn sugar.

I was planning on using an equal amount of table sugar instead. Both are 100% fermentable, so it shouldn't make a difference, right?

Also, is there anything I should know about swapping them out (like whether to use equal weights)? When I changed the recipe on Hopville from corn sugar to table sugar, the OG stayed the same.

2. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Won't make a difference. They are interchangeable.

3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

Same thing. use interchangeably. I stopped buying corn sugar years ago.

samtallica likes this.
  4. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Corn sugar normally contains a small amount of water, but it's pretty insignificant. That's probably why hopville treats them the same. I would not hesitate to use table sugar instead of corn sugar. 1:1 is close enough. Technically, the yeast have to do slightly more work to use table sugar, but I doubt it would have a noticeable effect.

6. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Aug 5, 2007 Vermont

The yeast have to invert the table sugar, but in IPA amounts, I would agree, no big deal. When you start getting into tripel/Duvel ranges of sugar, than I would certainly advocate using corn sugar.

7. DeutschesBier

Beer Trader

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

8. Danielbt

Danielbt May 4, 2012 Texas

The boiling done to dissolve table sugar into solution, not to mention sanitize it, will invert the sugar. Most of it anyhow.

9. PABeerGeek74

PABeerGeek74 Jul 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

I always use corn sugar.... not sure why, but it seems like the better choice.

10. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Actually corn sugar is dextrose and table sugar is sucrose which has a slightly higher fermentable index.That's because when converted into monosaccharides a molecule of water is incorporated so you get a little bit more!
    Bear in mind that table sugar is free.You can steal it from housekeeping :)

11. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I think you get 1-2% more carbonation from the same weight of table sugar; most of us don't measure that closely anyway. Table sugar is so cheap in the US it might as well be free, well under $0.50 per lb.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe