Corona Familiar = Corona Extra?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrewAskew, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texan956

Texan956 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Texas

Yes but I think to what theyre referring to is that caguama, is also a slang term used in Mexico and other Latin countries I believe, for a 32 oz beer. Just like we call 24 ozrs tallboys, mufflers, etc.

Back on subject, theyre definitely diff beers, Ive had both, and not a fan of Corona Extra, never have been. Corona Familiar is nuttier, maltier, and isnt bad at all IMHO.
    Also our beloved BA site lists Corona E asn American Adjunct Lager, and Familiar as a Vienna Lager.

2. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

Does it really matter? Shit no matter which one. My girlfriend loves Mexico so I have been going down there with her a couple of times a year recently. I can accept Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber but I won't touch that garbage Coroona. Pacifico is pretty bad too. What is actually very acceptable is Modelo Chope. It's a draft only beer and there is a lighter version and a dark version. Much liike Modelo Espescial and Negra.

3. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

Dude, hops? I'll bet there isn't one hop in any Corona or Pacifico. All I taste in Pacifico is corn.

DogbiteWilliams and fefe2203 like this.
  4. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,592) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

It is the same beer, in a brown bottle, but that single difference, brown vs. clear, seems to make a difference.

ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  5. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

I drink Caguamas of Victoria when I visit my wife's family in Mexico.
    [​IMG]
    The Caguama is slang for big beer bottle in Spanish, it's on the right.

Modernrickk, Boca-X and tolar111 like this.
  6. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Same beer, just not skunked. Like someone else said I too think it tastes a lot like Tecate when fresh. Crisp and clean with that raw sugary finish.

7. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,701) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Trader

I had the Familiar not too long ago, liked it much better than "regular" Corona.

8. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

That is funny...thanks for the clarification of which bottle is larger :stuck_out_tongue:

9. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Would you buy it either way?

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I've had both of those. The one on the right is a nuttier hoppier richer maltier beer than the one on the left.:wink:

11. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  12. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Poo-Bah (4,857) Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia

63 minute mark...

markdrinksbeer likes this.
  13. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

Were're not talking about the Caguama. We are talking about the Corona Familiar. Being that Corona Familiar is in a brown bottle, I'd have to assume the flavor has been protected more from the light. So you may be able to taste a richer, maltier flavor that way. I cannot believe this is a different beer. It says, "Corona Extra" on the cap.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You forgot to mention that it's also got over 2½ times the alcohol as the one on the left.:grinning:

cavedave likes this.
  15. JonYoung

JonYoung Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2015

No one is talking about caguma... The question was is Corona Familiar different from Corona Extra. The answer is yes. Some one already answered it properly.

Corona Familiar is another great addition to the Corona family. Corona Familiar tastes like Corona Extra – but with a richer flavor. Corona Familiar is a bright golden-colored lager beer with a clean, refreshing taste finished with a delicate hop bitterness. Throw in a slice of fresh lime and you’re all set for a hot summer day. The light carbonation and slight head make this beer the perfect complement to milder Mexican dishes.

Produced by: Cerveceria Modelo
    Availability: Year-round
    Type: American Lager
    Flavor: Hops
    ABV: 6%

*Credit to - http://www.cherokeedistributing.com/products-page/alcoholic/corona-familiar/
    Mod edit to give credit*

#55 JonYoung, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  16. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

On the other hand....

http://www.grupomodelo.com.mx/marcas/marcas_propias_corona_eng.jsp

17. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

Hello fellow mexican, my dad told me that years ago in northern Mexico there were bigger bottles called "ballenas" or "whales" little bigger than the modern "caguama", then a smaller version replaced this big bottles and they named it "caguama" still big but not as big as a whale. Then an even smaller bottle appeared and they called it again "ballena" for nostalgia. This may not be accurate but a story from my dad. Where are you from man? Cheers from Guadalajara.

AntG21 likes this.
  18. Mike_Aguirre

I live a few blocks from the Corona factory here in Guadalajara, and it´s the exact same beer, I´ve been there lot´s of time (you are free to go see the process if you make an appointment). Same beer, different bottle. Corona, Coronita and Familiar are the same beer.

19. Mike_Aguirre

This is something to comment on. (Happens in Mexico all the time) Sometimes you find beer in the same fridge that comes from different factories, and Victoria is one of them. I believe big bottle Victorias are made in a factory in northern Mexico, and normal size and "cuartitos" (very little bottles) are brewed in central Mexico. Since Corona has lots of factories here, and they might use the same recipe, malts and hops, water is different and impacts the flavor. It´s common in a specific brand called "Tecate" (not from corona) that it´s great beer if its brewed in northern Mexico, but almost a drain pour if you try one from central or southern Mexico. Cheers!

tzieser, Greywulfken and AntG21 like this.
  20. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

From Wikipedia (not always to be believed)
    Corona beer is available in a variety of bottled presentations, ranging from the 190 ml (6.4 U.S. fl oz; 6.7 imp fl oz) ampolleta (labeled Coronita and just referred as the cuartito) up to the 940 ml (31.8 U.S. fl oz; 33.1 imp fl oz)Corona Familiar (known as the familiar, Litro or Mega)

My Daughter will be going down to their plant below Piedras Negras to work for a year or so, I will assign her the task of verifying this

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

cryptichead likes this.
  22. Budthewiser

Budthewiser Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2016 California

Its the same beer!!! Just marketing, one is for gringos and the other for mexicans. Which is why you find the familiar in mexican grocery stores and the large clear extra bottles at the big chain super markets.

23. Johnnylight76

Johnnylight76 Initiate (0) May 7, 2017 North Carolina

I like familiar better. Still confused how it is only 4.5 when it gets me buzzed faster. Did we ever get a consensus on who was right and who was talking none sense?

rather likes this.
  24. jesskidden

Society Trader

I don't think anyone is "talking none sense", there is clearly confusion about this beer. Official TTB COLAs that Constellation (previously US importer, now US owner of the brand and breweries) submitted to the US government say "4.55%". An email from a Constellation rep can be found on the 'net where she is quoted:

Yet - noted above in post #37 - there are Corona distributors which claim the ABV is 6% (although Cherokee uses a Corona Extra label to illustrate their Corona Familiar window :astonished: )
    [​IMG]
    using the same wording which implies ...something?.... (if not "official" then swiped from other distributors?), such as this one:
    .http://cjwbeer.com/brands/crown-imports/corona-familiar

Does Constellation bring in different versions of this beer for different markets? (They actually also have a 3.2w version according to the TTB). Are some distributors taking advantage of the Constellation's refusal to list ABV on labels (it's optional in most states)?

Complicating matters - Constellation is test marketing Corona brand extensions, such as a "lighter" version meant to compete with AB Michelob Ultra, called Corona Premier, as well as a 12 oz. brown long neck bottle of .... Corona Familiar (no ABV noted):

[​IMG]

#64 jesskidden, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Urk1127 likes this.
  25. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Buy both, try them side by side and decide for yourself. Simplicity is a beautiful thing, make your own opinion!

26. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (61) Mar 28, 2015 California

Hell, yes.

I had one at a catered birthday luncheon at the office.

Corn, corn, corn, corn, CORN!

27. jesskidden

Society Trader

According to Constellation's toll-free CORONA line, they say, in the US, their Corona Familiar is a different recipe but with the same ABV - 4.6% - as the regular Corona Extra.

(You'd think if it was a different recipe, they wouldn't use Corona Extra crowns on the bottles...:rolling_eyes:)

They claim that the origin of the myth of it being a higher ABV (one even repeated by some of their own US distributors as noted above) is that in Mexico, brewed and marketed by AB-InBev's Grupo Modelo, it is a 6% beer.

Call for yourself - 800-295-1032

#67 jesskidden, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  28. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I started a long reply to this after talking to my daughter who was down in Nava working at the Constellation plant, but ended up deleting it. She was pretty positive that the Familiar line was sourced separately from the Extra.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,393) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Which is consistent with what JK posted above.

Cheers!

donspublic likes this.
  30. DJMonet

DJMonet Initiate (0) May 24, 2017 Maryland

Luckily, I live in a "horrible" Sanctuary City so my local beer mart carries, in addition to all the amazing local brews in our area, lots of imports from el Salvador and the rest of Latin America. I picked up one of these mini-growlers and it is defiantly different than Especial -- more of a smoother lager rather than the bitter pils/ale thing that the Extra is (and lime does add to the Extra). More barley perhaps... My bottle cap was labeled "corona" only. While "Familiar" does mean "family" in Spanish, I guess that could be like, "the family recipe" or something. I have to split it with a mate or my honey 'cause I can't drink that much before it gets warm! But it's worth picking up if you find it near you.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

I must confess that I am perplexed here. At less than 20 IBUs how can Corona Extra be considered "bitter"?:confused:

Cheers!

32. DJMonet

DJMonet Initiate (0) May 24, 2017 Maryland

Call it what you want, but Corona Extra's taste is best cut with acidity and citrus. Maybe that's the clear bottled skunk. Have you have the Familiar? I was comparing it to that.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

That would make more sense to me that stating a beer with less than 20 IBUs is bitter.

Cheers!

P.S. The fact that Familiar is in a brown bottled provides a level of protection from skunking.

34. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

So want, must have. I'ts a whale after all.

35. JackHorzempa

Society

You just need to find a business nearby that caters to the Hispanic community. Last Friday I bought a hoagie at a nearby Pizza shop and I noticed in their coolers they had bottles of Familiar. I actually thought about buying it but I only purchased the hoagie.

Maybe I will go back to buy Familiar for the AAL taste testing thread?

Cheers!

36. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,121) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Familiar is the same beer. Any taste difference is either perception (different bottle format) or perhaps less light pollution than regular "Extra".

I usually preferred Bohemia, Pacifico, Tecate or Carte Blanca but that's just me.

Source: Absolutely nothing reputable. I lived near Mexico for a while and drank a shitload of Mexican beer with the locals and this was accepted as fact by everyone I spoke to about it.

EDIT: corrected by @jesskidden again! Thanks man

Has there been a scheduled date for the tasting? I've been saving some of the AALs I have in my fridge...so far I've got Coors Banquet, Coor's Extra Gold, Narragansett and National Bohemian.

I almost made it through a day without getting fed someone's political views.

Almost.:rolling_eyes:

TongoRad likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

tzieser and TongoRad like this.
  38. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Like Jack said, June 3rd, come on in the water's fine! Looks like you and I will have some overlap in beers, too. Looking forward to seeing you then.

:sunglasses::wink:

tzieser likes this.
  39. verge

verge Initiate (117) Jun 8, 2009 California

As mentioned above, the main difference will be the brown bottle vs clear bottle. That UV light does no favors for beer.

Drinking Corona from a can gives a significantly different experience than the clear bottle. It's actually...enjoyable?

40. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (768) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

It seems I read something here in a "skunked" beer forum about Corona Familiar, the only difference being a larger bottle and it's brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.