Corona Familiar = Corona Extra?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrewAskew, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,971) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Since this thread started, Constellation is apparently brewing a slightly different recipe for Corona Familiar ("with a slightly fuller flavor" - 0.2% more alcohol, slightly higher caloric content and, at 19.5 ibu's, likely a bit hoppier than regular Corona- oddly they don't list ibu's for Corona on that page) and marketing it in regular 12 oz. brown bottles.
    [​IMG]

EDIT- Oh, damn, I already mentioned that in post #65 :grimacing: Well, if no one else is gonna read the entire thread, why should I? :grin:

#81 jesskidden, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    AZBeerDude72, jkblr, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  2. WalterPickel

WalterPickel Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2018 Florida

I have been to MX a ton of times (Yucatan) and we can only get 3.2 not 6. I haven't found any high velocity (not that 6 is HV) beer. Then again, we mostly drink Sol or Tecate (as do the locals).

3. Alkee-fraydo

Alkee-fraydo Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2018 Texas

I’m drinking one right now and I’m certain that it doesn’t taste like Corona Extra. It has a much cleaner taste and there is no need for salt and lime. Corona Extra has an awful taste and it usually requires the salt and/or lime. The reason it tastes this way is because of the clear bottle that it comes in. Light effects beer which is why most all beer bottles are either green or dark brown. Corona Familiar is more than likely a product of Corona brewery that is a bit more top shelf and presentable

LifesAnesthesia and Bitterbill like this.
  4. KentT

KentT Aspirant (216) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

I know Corona well. Familiar is cleaner tasting than Extra, does not have the awful aftertaste Extra does sans Lime and Salt. And Familiar does not have the Skunky beer issue. Corona Familiar is a good AAL style beer, which is very fine. It is very enjoyable as it is.

5. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (309) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

Possibly due to the fact that IBU is not a measurement of perceived bitterness. Higher or lower IBU ratings do not necessarily equate to more or less bitter beer. There is a generally strong correlation between the two, but there are many exceptions.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  6. rronin

rronin Initiate (179) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

It had better be! I saw a sixer of this at the grocery store the other day and it was ten bucks!

7. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,371) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I like the Familiar but not enough to pay a premium for it.

8. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (769) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I was walking thru "Zombie Land", my pet name for Sam's Clubs, and they're selling something called Corona Premier, it's just pennies per case more than Extra.....

9. jesskidden

Society Trader

That's yet another Constellation US Corona line extension, aimed at going up against Michelob Ultra and other super-premium/extra light beers.
    7 IBUs - 4% ABV

And they're not done...

#89 jesskidden, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Bitterbill likes this.
  10. OldBeerNGuts

OldBeerNGuts Initiate (20) Jul 19, 2018 Indiana

I don't know where you people got all of this information. All of the extrapolating beyond data, etc, is pretty amusing. Corona extra has an abv of 3.5%, whereas Familiar has an abv of 4.8%. Just by tasting them together (barring the skunkiness of the shitty clear bottle), you can easily detect that the grain bills are pretty drastically different. The grain bill obviously has less adjunct in it, you can tell by the mouth feel. (I'm drinking it right now. It's a solid beer. And it certainly isn't skunked.) I think it's a really solid German/Austrian/Czech-esque style lager. It's like a Vienna Lager and a Bohemian Pils had a baby. A bit more aroma and flavor hops than corona, however, very light on the bittering hops. It makes sense that it would fit in this style footprint I've laid out, as the it was the Austrians who brought the art of brewing to Mexico. The Emperor Maximilian was a Austrian Hapsburg that the French decided to put in charge of Mexico as a puppet during the American Civil War. This was because they thought the U.S. would be too busy to enforce the Monroe Doctrine. So they funded this civil war in Mexico that was happening at the same time as that in the US. After the surrender of the C.S., the U.S. was then able to pressure France to withdraw from Mexico, thus Maximilian was defeated. However, his personal beer, Negra Modelo survived, and the Austrian immigrants to Mexico largely stayed there, and set up the Mexican brewing culture that exists to this day. Dos Equis Ambar is a Vienna Lager, Negra Modelo is a take on a Vienna lager, that was brewed for Maximillian personally. As a fan of German styles, I also find myself a fan of Mexican beer, when they're not skunked. And Corona Familiar is a really solid beer.

Aegelis likes this.
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

The brewer and US importer,Constellation Brands on their Corona USA website says:
    Corona Extra - 4.6% alcohol by volume, 18 IBUs (see FAQ).
    Corona Familiar - 4.8% ABV, 19.5 IBUs.

No, but that's close to Corona Extra's ABW of 3.6%. See ABV = ABW

Grupo Modelo, founded in 1925, (AR 2000) says that Negra Modelo was first released in 1930, so over half a century after Maximillian's death.

They also note that their first brewmaster was a German-born former Anheuser-Busch brewer.
    [​IMG]

Aegelis, Bitterbill, Squire and 6 others like this.
  12. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (306) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    I remain unconvinced that Negra Modelo was ever anything but a Bavarian style lager in the sense of being a darker colored lager, though it may well have used adjuncts from the beginning of course, or have been all malt and then switched over to an adjunct at some point (which as per the current European label is rice).

#92 Crusader, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (983) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Corona Extra comes from a Stallion.
    Corona Familiar comes from a Mare.

14. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (101) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

As someone who has worked on a horse farm, I can tell you mares can get as rough as stallions at times.

15. Aegelis

Aegelis Initiate (116) May 28, 2014 Delaware

This is the best beer review I have ever read. It's like reading a review about a pocket watch that accidentally slips into the physics of time travel.

nach0king likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.