Coronavirus Brings Beer Drinkers Back to Bud Light

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by CervezaNY, May 18, 2020.

1. CervezaNY

CervezaNY Initiate (195) Mar 24, 2016 New York

I was somewhat surprised when I saw the headline in the Wall Street Journal today.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/corona...shareToken=stc320dbf477b6442691a80713e22ef73d

2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,967) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Not surprised. People stopped going out to drink, but they still had to hit the grocery stores where they could easily pickup a large pack of beer at a cheap price (compared to craft beer). And if you're hitting the store driven by a desire to stock up or under a strick budget, those large packs of beer play right into your mindset.

You can buy a 30-pack of Bud Light for under $20; less than $0.70 a can.

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,316) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My hope is that craft brewers respond by moving away from hypey, expensive, one offs and move toward bigger packs of better priced.beer. I don't need them to compete with bud light (or even founders) but it would.be nice to.have more $15-$18 12 pack options

4. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Initiate (33) Jun 24, 2018 Minnesota

Bud Light? Yeesh! Thank goodness I live just across the river from Wisconsin, where liquor stores were deemed “essential!”

hottenot, Rocktire, bmugan and 3 others like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,638) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Life's too short. Literally.

6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (997) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I think the numbers are a bit deceiving. I'm sure the amount of Bud Light that is sold in bars is also down to 0. If you have ever been in a sports bar and even local bar that sell both you know that loads of marco beer is sold there.

7. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,595) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Same here in Oregon.

That being said, I can see @Todd's point. For a lot of folks, money is probably really tight right now, and so it makes sense that a lot of people are becoming more and more careful about the money they spend on beer. Personally, I would go with Oly or Hamm's if I was inclined in that direction, but BL has national brand recognition that those beers don't have, so I can see why a lot of people are turning to BL.

TrojanRB, hottenot, Junior and 2 others like this.
  8. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,797) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I agree with @Todd said. Money is tight, uncertain future with work, and buying larger quantities give you less exposure. I know I’ve bought more AAL this last two months than I’ve done in last 2 years, Hamms,Pacifico,High Life,Coors Banquet, and i will say I’m enjoying them.i will mix in a few pricey 4PKS at $16-$18 also of Aslin,WeldWerks,TG,Equilibrium.

9. rugene

rugene Aspirant (203) Mar 2, 2015 Quebec (Canada)

I prefer being hit by the coronavirus than drink Bud Light!

10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think that's a bit much. I dislike BL as much as the next guy, but...

Contracting the corona virus can lead to illness and possibly even death. If you drink BL, you might feel ill and you might wish you were dead, but that experience is short lived and you'll survive the experience.

I agree BL sucks, but you need to be reasonable about this.

11. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (483) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Like @Todd & @John_M said. This is the key from the article
    Very few craft beers are sold in 12-15 packs let alone cases, very few craft beers are low cal/carb, and I don't know of any craft beer that could be considered “budget friendly” to someone living on unemployment.

12. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Singlefinpin likes this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I will take a 24 pack of SNPA for $22 bucks any day over bud

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,405) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The only way I’d drink Bud Light is if I’m stranded on a desert island. I can buy Hamms for $13, I’d go that route, but Bud Light advertisers the hell outta it. So it sells like crazy, but it’s an advertising phenomenon, it’s not even that good as far as light beers go.

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,497) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I personally have never purchased a 30-pack but if I did it would be Hamm’s.

I just got back from doing some grocery shopping and while beer was not on the shopping list I said to myself: let’s stroll through the beer section and see if there is anything that catches my eye. To my surprise something did: a 15-pack on the bottom shelf of Victory Classic Lager and the price was only 20 bucks! Obviously not as cheap as a 30-pack of Hamm’s but this beer is waaaay better. It is a new beer from Victory and I recently discussed it in a New Beer Sunday thread:

"Overall:

This beer is excellent. I really enjoyed the balance of bready Pilsner Malt and herbal/spicy hop flavors. This beer is indeed consistent with the Victory Brewing ‘claim’ of an Easy Drinkin' Lager."

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-790.637518/#post-6865033

Cheers!

16. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,439) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Thankfully??! many people on unemployment are making more, and often times significantly more, than they were previously. Maybe now is the time to branch out and experiment, for them.

17. nc41

Society Trader

I doubt this pandemic is a boom to craft brewers, or an incentive to reach out and explore. It’s timed and it won’t last forever and a lot of people are well behind. The next stimulus is coming, it’ll help a bit but for people without work and kids a few thousand dollars doesn’t last long. Depends on your job I suppose.

18. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (600) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn right!
    That being said I rather be able to drink a few craft beers than a case of BL!
    Life is too short to drink bad beer!

hottenot, ZebulonXZogg, KRug and 3 others like this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,935) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I’m am saving more money weekly yet also spending more on beer weekly. Besides food, all other consumable expenses has been drastically cut.

20. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,108) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

As a merchandiser for a fairly large beer distribution company, I saw this coming. People just aren't shelling out the dough for $20 four packs they were when so many people are out of work or prioritizing food and hygiene supplies. Alcohol sales are still strong for obvious reasons, (lol) but people are buying more affordable beer.

21. JackHorzempa

Society

It will be interesting to see if those folks 'come back' after becoming re-employed. Or will they discover that the beers they are now drinking provide the 'best bang for the buck' and provide drinking satisfaction while being reasonably priced?

Cheers!

22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,108) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I don't know. I'm waiting to see, too. Honestly, sales on more expensive packs haven't decreased too severely. There are still the large groups of people more willing to splurge than to compromise. But we also knew the bubble was going to burst eventually. With over 7,000 breweries in America and a large percent of them selling $20-$30 four packs, we knew it wasn't going to last forever.

hottenot, KRug, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.
  23. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (215) Nov 8, 2009 New York

It’s probably mostly established Bud Light drinkers buying even more BL because they have more free time to drink and money to spend.

Side note:
    I recently purchased a 6er of the nitro golden ale ($8.99). No regrets. It was solid.

24. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,930) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I have no idea the cost or production numbers, but I do know that in the midst of all this craziness, La Cumbre just released a new hazey IPA that looks like it sold out in a mere few hours. I am guessing there will remain a market for the hyped, costly small releases. I would have thought otherwise up until I saw how this release play out.

25. nc41

Society Trader

Me to, but replace beer with Wild Turkey.

26. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Initiate (126) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

Can confirm. I've been more hesitant ordering any lesser known new or special release beers; the company I work for has been equally hesitant, discouraging all the beer buyers from ordering anything "risky" in significant quantities.

Seems that a lot of people are either buying their comfort picks in large formats or ordering direct from local craft, eliminating the need for them to come to a store.

It will be interesting to see how COVID affects consumers' purchasing preferences, both in what and how, after this is over.

27. rugene

rugene Aspirant (203) Mar 2, 2015 Quebec (Canada)

I apologize for that bad joke! Don't want to provoke the devil of Corona to take his revenge on me

hottenot, KRug and John_M like this.
  28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,027) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Bell's needs to put Light Hearted into 12 packs of cans. Great session beer. Would be my choice over All Day and be a coin flip based on cost with Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale - my two favorite budget craft beers.

29. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,053) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

This is a bogus comment and not useful.......

hottenot and officerbill like this.
  30. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,439) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I’m honestly curious why you’d say that? I own three quick service restaurants and the employees are begging us to close so they can apply for unemployment and collect the extra $600 per week. They’d be making ~$23/hour on unemployment. Something we can’t offer. There are a lot of people in this boat too.

31. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (509) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Because rugene was being totally serious...

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

As was I...

hottenot likes this.
  33. officerbill

Society Trader

The receptionist where I work was furloughed for 3 weeks. She received her first unemployment payment a week after she returned to work. In NY it's taking a month for some claims to be processed and paid.

Sure, the extra $600 is a nice bonus when you get it and if you know you'll have a job to go back to.

beaulabauve, hottenot and dukeandduke like this.
  34. officerbill

Society Trader

You might not be doing them any favors.
    Many in PA have been waiting a month
    https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...s-what-state-paid-out-in-all-of-2019/2378600/

hottenot and dukeandduke like this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Society

From reading articles in the Philadelphia Inquirer it would appear that Pennsylvanians are being delayed as well. The state purports that you will be compensated for that 'delay' time but for folks who have immediate need of money this is quite a hardship. I have read articles where plenty of folks have been denied unemployment and it seems that while you can appeal this decision it could take months for this to happen.

It would seem that states are simply ill prepared to handle these high level of claims all at once.

Cheers!

hottenot, dukeandduke and officerbill like this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

What is extremely sad is that in 2020 in the USA, the richest country on earth, people make more when out of work than working full time. This is the issue with our country, people should be able to earn a decent wage for their 40 hours a week, its very sad.
    Cheers

37. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,353) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Perhaps, but what one must consider is the fact you may feel ill and wish you were dead TWENTY FOUR or THIRTY TIMES as you work your way through the case. We can all agree neither option is particularly attractive.

For the record, I do like a cold Budweiser after a summer work out or for a light beverage to pair with a meal. I rather have water than Bud Light.

hottenot, scootercrabb, BJB13 and 2 others like this.
  38. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,797) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I think they will continue to buy both especially over the summer month ,Beach,BBQ,parks if/when open. Hopefully it is an awakening to craft brewers that $20 4PKS are pricey. I would like to see more 12pks from brewers ,have no problem buying 12/12oz cans vs the 4 16oz cans of my rotation brews.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

That will only happen if consumers stop paying these prices. If instead they do as you stated of "buy both" then the craft brewers will continue to price four-packs at 20 bucks. Why would they change when they have people willing to provide them with 'extra' profit?

Cheers!

40. Mikemcgrath4

Mikemcgrath4 Zealot (526) Aug 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Not to say that the number of breweries may be growing at tad fast of a rate, but at the same time, if there were 4131 breweries in 1873 when US population was about 39 million, and now we have over 7000 with a us pop of about 330 million, I wouldn't say that its a bubble to be burst, more like ground to take back from the big guys (inbev, etc.) and the prohibition. Obviously open to interpretation though. (Note, the chart only goes to 2015).
    [​IMG]