Costco is already selling an Advent calendar full of beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,973) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Here's one I'm not sure about...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kalea claims it's a Vienna style and that they are the brewery. It's 5.1% vs. the 5.5% of Loncium's Marzen. I believe every one of these Costco beers should probably be rated and reviewed for what they are, because I really doubt they represent the original brewer's work.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative with anyone here, just trying to enter useful, accurate reviews that are accessible to other members. Cheers all, I'm about to drink my first German stout.

AlcahueteJ and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,308) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

It is a Vienna Lager, it was just labeled incorrectly as a Märzen in the BA database, which I've fixed now.

Since this one has a different ABV, name and label from the original Loncium Austrian Amber, it *might* be worth creating a separate entry for it, but most of the other beers appear to be identical to the original beers.

AlcahueteJ and jkblr like this.
  3. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 10/29/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 45 degrees in a hand washed and dried weizen glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Light yellow, hazy.
    Body – Yellow, cloudy.
    Head – Large (Maximum 11 cm, aggressive center pour), off-white, medium density, good retention, slooowly diminishing to a three cm plug with three-dimensional bits of foam hanging on the glass.
    Lacing – Fair. A couple of three-dimensional arcs of medium-bubbled foam.
    Aroma – 4 - Light clove and banana.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins slightly sweet with very light banana flavor. A bit yeasty. No alcohol (4.4 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.25. Appearance and aroma are both good, flavor is weak, palate pretty much as expected. I would not be averse to drinking a few of these.
    Rating 3.38, rDev 0%.

4. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Hmm, this one wasn't listed on the list that @bsp77 posted which I based my list of. I've since found a blurry picture of the beers in this calendar and I think there is at least one other beer in there that's not on the list.

Which is interesting because I actually compared that list to pictures of the box I found on Kalea's website which are not available anymore now. Probably with good reason. Any chance that some of the beers contained in this box actually differ from the listing on the box?

EDIT: It looks to me like the Schloss Weisse actually replaces the, aforementioned by @jkblr, Loncium Wiener Lager (Austrian Amber), maybe due to problems with the stats not matching up.

Everything else seems correct. Can anyone confirm whether or not the Loncium Wiener Lager is actually in the box?

#84 Snowcrash000, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    AlcahueteJ, jkblr and FBarber like this.
  5. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Here's another, hopefully final, updated list based on this picture which seems like it contains the updated, final products, from upper left to upper right.

The Schloss Weisse (bottom right) appears to be the only beer that pictured incorrectly here. The box contains the Loncium Austrian Amber instead.

[​IMG]

• Hösl - Märzenbier
    • H. Egerer - Urtyp Hell Edel Bayer
    • Ankerbräu - Grandl
    • H. Egerer - Kress Bayrisch Zwickel
    • Herrnbräu - Bürgerliches Brauhaus Altbairisch Hell
    • Weldebräu - Kurpfalzbräu Helles
    • Memminger - Gold
    • Privatbrauerei Schnaitl - 1842
    • Herrnbräu - Jubiläums-Sud
    • Ludwig Erl - Erlkönig Hell
    • Graminger Weissbräu - Kirta
    • Propeller - Turbo Prop
    • H. Egerer - Perlenzauber
    • Hohentanner Schlossbrauerei - Blau Weisse
    • Ladenburger - Weizenbock Hell
    • Kauzen-Bräu - Käuzle Helles Lager
    • Privatbrauerei Loncium - Austrian Amber (Wiener Lager)
    • Brauerei-Gasthof Zwönitz - Zwönitzer Rauchbier
    • Tölzer Mühlfeldbräu - Schwarze Tinte
    • Schlossbrauerei Rheder - Original Pils
    • Wittmann - Urhell
    • Schlossbrauerei Herrngiersdorf - Hallertauer Hopfen-Cuvée
    • Memminger - Kartäuser Doppelbock Dunkel
    • H. Egerer - Bären Weisse

6. jkblr

Society Trader

The Loncium beer is definitely in the box I purchased. I'll get a picture of the actual list on the box tonight when I get home.

7. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Hmm, then another one must be missing instead...

8. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Error: "4.4%ABV as marked on the can" is wrong - should be 5.5%. 4.4% is abw. Mea culpa.

FBarber likes this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's New Breakfast Beer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 10/30/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried weizen glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Very light brown, hazy.
    Body – Brown, cloudy.
    Head – Large (Maximum 18 cm, aggressive center pour), off-white, medium density, good retention, slooowly diminishing to a 3 mm cap with torn curtain lacing remaining on the glass as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Fair. A couple of three-dimensional arcs of medium-bubbled foam.
    Aroma – 3.5 – Malty, light clove and extremely faint banana.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins slightly sweet with very light malt flavor. No clove, no banana, no yeast. Ends with a slight metallic taste. No alcohol (5.3 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, almost creamy, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. Looks good and that’s about it.
    Rating 3.21, rDev -11.1%.

AlcahueteJ, AZBeerDude72, zid and 2 others like this.
  10. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Great, another beer that is not mentioned in the stock photos of this calendar... Could you please post a picture of the beers listed on the actual box?

FBarber likes this.
  11. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Es tut mir leid! The box has already been recycled. I have noticed that at least eight more cans say produced and owned by Privatbrauerei H. Egerer - I haven't checked the others yet.

zid likes this.
  12. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

So about a third of the beers are different from those advertised beforehand? That seems rather fishy to me, to be honest. Well, I tried to warn you guys about Kalea...

Jaycase, PapaGoose03 and Ozzylizard like this.
  13. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

AlcahueteJ, AZBeerDude72, zid and 4 others like this.
  14. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

15. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I couldn't help but notice that the Loncium Austrian Amber, which @jkblr says is definitely in his box, is not pictured here... Are there actually different versions of this calendar? Curiouser and curiouser...

16. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,926) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hate to suggest it, but, if the calendar changes every year, it could be places passing off last year's calendar. This seems more likely than people getting a different 24 beers in each 2019 calendar.

AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Well, since I had never heard of any of the beers listed on the box when I bought it nor any of the other beers that actually in it, it's still a one-time winner for me. But I'm pretty sure I won't be repeat-buying next year, particularly since most of the beers say either "brewed by" or "brewed and owned by Privatbrauerei H. Egerer".

AlcahueteJ and zid like this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

That's a good point, unfortunately... Although I couldn't find the exact combination of beers @Ozzylizard posted in a google image search for the years 2015-2019. But then again their stock photo for the 2019 calendar is wrong as well, so who knows...

This appears to be a correct picture of the 2019 calendar by the way, I will correct my list once again...

[​IMG]

19. jkblr

Society Trader

That is definitely a different box than I have.

I forgot to get a picture of my box last night, but it's definitely different content. The EXP 05/2021 can stamping is consistent though.

That looks to be the exact content of the box that I purchased.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,219) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Loncium Handcrafted Vienna style lager

4.19/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar

16 oz can poured into a pilsener

Clear medium amber liquid, steady streams of active carbonation, pencil thin off white foamy layer with great retention, good lacings

Aroma is toasted malts, grassiness

Taste is taost malts with a hint of caramel

Low sudsing, almost creamy mouth feel

Good beer

AlcahueteJ, AZBeerDude72 and FBarber like this.
  21. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Drinking a loncium handcrafted Vienna style lager , brewed by kalea, right now .

22. jkblr

Society Trader

Here's the picture of the of box I purchased this month
    [​IMG]
    Took a break from the box tonight.

AlcahueteJ, AZBeerDude72 and FBarber like this.
  23. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Today's Costco Advent Calendar New Breakfast Beer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 10/31/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried half liter Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Light yellow, clear.
    Body – Light yellow, clear, effervescent.
    Head – Large (Maximum 15 cm, aggressive center pour), white, high density, average retention, stabilizing at seven cm before slooowly diminishing to a jagged four to fourteen mm crown with torn curtain lacing remaining on the glass as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Excellent! Multiple three-dimensional rings of tiny to small bubbles with stalactites and multiple small islands separating the rings.
    Aroma – 3.75 – Grainy with some light hoppiness.
    Flavor – 3.25 – Begins slightly sweet with very light malt flavor. Ends with a slight metallic dimethylsulfide taste. Aftertaste is metal. No alcohol (4.5 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.25 It was doing quite well until the aftertaste kicked in.
    Rating 3.44, rDev -1.4%.

24. zid

zid Meyvn (1,355) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

And I just noticed in the pic from @jkblr that his (different?) box says: "Every beer in this box has been exclusively brewed for the Brewer’s Advent Calendar" ... which makes this feel even more like a novelty product (not that I'm necessarily using that thinking to pre-judge the quality of the beer).

25. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,825) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

If you have room sure, if not just take it out the evening before when you go to bed, then its cold for the next day.
    Cheers

Ozzylizard likes this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Could they be putting out old stock with new? Does anyone have last years info, its possible they are dumping old stock?

Ozzylizard likes this.
  27. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

One would think the freshest box would have the longest outdate but it seems that "EXP 05/2021" is the common date for the different boxes.

28. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

True, I think if the dates are the same then its not old stuff but if folks are seeing a date difference then it could be or maybe some boxes were filled with different stock? I have no idea how they make these if its produced for the box only or if its stock they choose then fill boxes off beers produced earlier in year?

29. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Today's New Breakfast Beer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/01/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Logsdon flute.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Light yellow, clear.
    Body – Light yellow, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 9 cm, aggressive center pour), white, high density, average retention, diminishing to a five to eight mm crown and a partial rocky cap with irregular pieces of lacing remaining on the glass as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Fair. Three dimensional arcs of mostly tiny to medium bubbles. See also above.
    Aroma – 3.5 – Grainy with some light hoppiness.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins slightly sweet with very light malt flavor. Ends with a slight dimethylsulfide taste. No alcohol (4.6 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, crisp carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5. Not much to say – drinkable but unremarkable, a passable lawnmower beer.
    Rating 3.53, rDev +3.5%.

The best I've liked best, thus far.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber, zid and 2 others like this.
  30. Jason

Jason Founder (8,474) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I'm waiting until Dec. 1st to start reviewing these ... not sure why. :rolling_eyes::wink:

31. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (488) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

That's been my thought this whole time. What kind of person starts their Advent calendar in October or November???

:stuck_out_tongue:

GetMeAnIPA and FBarber like this.
  32. zid

zid Meyvn (1,355) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

A Jewish lover of imported beer. That would be one type of many possible types. :slight_smile:

33. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (856) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

WAIT FOR THE 1ST OF DEC????these beers are meant for drinking, and that's what I'm gonna do..

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. Jason

Jason Founder (8,474) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I still have lingering O-fest beers & now all of the pumpkin beers coming in. I can't schedule anything else in even if I wanted to. ;-)

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  35. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (1,941) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Based on these ratings.... it seems you are wasting your time and money.....

Oktoberfiesta and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,926) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I always take lager ratings on BA with a grain of salt. They tend to be a tick lower than they should just because of the style.

37. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Money spent...sunk cost...time to try new German biers which , in general, I like a lot. Ergo, time and money well spent

38. WunderLlama

Society Trader

[​IMG][\img]

Edel Bayer Urtyp Hell

3.38/5 rDev -0.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 2019 Costco Advent Beer Calendar collection

16 oz beer poured into a flute

Good looking can adorned with a Bavarian flag motif, clear yellow liquid, active streams of micro carbonation, creamy white one finger foam foam, settles to a solid creamy pencil thin layer after five minutes, some lacings

aroma of grassiness, straw

taste is faint grassiness, needs more flavor, body

light mouthfeel, low sudsing

Nice beer

39. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs!

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/02/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L stein.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Gold, clear.
    Body – Gold, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 9 cm, aggressive center pour), off-white, high density, average retention, diminishing to a fifteen mm crown and a dense complete cap.
    Lacing – Good. Wide three-dimensional bands of extremely tiny bubbles with short stalactites.
    Aroma – 3.5 – Toasted malt.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins slightly sweet with very light malt flavor. Very weak hops. Ends with a slight metallic taste, only noticeable on the first swallow; otherwise it ends a bit malty. No alcohol (5.3 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5. A decent marzen, good looking and not bad in the taste or aroma departments either. I’ve had worse at a higher price point.
    Rating 3.53, rDev -0.3%.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and zid like this.
  40. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (278) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

There’s a reason these are mostly vaguely listed. They got one by us consumers once again. I was a sucker 1-2 years back on this set. Never, ever... ever again. I’m surprised only a few gave warning to the utter averageness of this set.

There’s nothing craft about a low level contract brewer setting off a bomb to randomly create 24 beers.
    Give me a year old shelf weihenstephaner collection over this garbage.

You know how Trader Joe’s branded beer sort of tricks you. And then there’s the Walmart craft beer brand that is also vaguely listed. This is within that same realm.

AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.