Costco is already selling an Advent calendar full of beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. mrk829

mrk829 Initiate (190) Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

I actually got this last year and waited till December 1st to open it and did a beer a day. Although none of the beers were amazing, I did enjoy most of them. I did find a couple had a metallic taste but overall I was happy with it. I did pick this year's one as well. I can confirm there the two boxes are different even though there are a lot of same beers as well. I'll try to get a pic of each box

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,933) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

A couple years ago I tried a bunch of the TJs branded beers and I have to say, most of them were surprisingly solid - especially at the price point. Their German style beers were the best of the bunch, and their corona knock off was right there.

AlcahueteJ and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  3. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,224) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Schwarze Tinte by Tolzer Muhlfeldbrau
    [​IMG]

3.34/5 rDev -0.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the Costco Advent Calender 2019 edition

“brewed and owned by Kalea GMBH”

16 oz can poured into a. Becker

One finger taupe foam quickly recedes to a thin layer and ring, dark cola like liquid, some lacings

Aroma of roast malts, sweet coffee

Slight taste of roast malts, metallic finish

Thin mouthfeel, metallic finish , medium sudsing

Nice beer

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and Ozzylizard like this.
  4. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Do you need a Costco membership to buy alcohol there?

5. FBarber

Society Trader

[​IMG]

JrGtr and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,981) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Depends on the state. I don't have a Costco membership, but I was able to buy mine in Indiana.

7. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Back on the advent calendar for today's New Breakfast Beer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/04/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 54 degrees in a hand washed and dried Imperial pint glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Light yellow, clear.
    Body – Light yellow, slight haze.
    Head – Large (Maximum fourteen cm, aggressive center pour), white, medium density, average retention, diminishing to a fifteen mm crown and a dense complete cap. As the head retracts, many small islands of tiny to small bubbles remain on the inside of the glass.
    Lacing – Good. Narrow EKG-like tracings of tiny to small bubbles. See also above.
    Aroma – 3.25 – Weak lemony hop aroma with a bit of malt at the end.
    Flavor – 3 - Grainy with very weak lemon hoppiness. The malt from the nose is absent. The finish approaches dryness. No alcohol (5.4 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Almost medium, watery, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. Very abbreviated flavor profile for an English Pale Ale – a hint of diacetyl would have been nice. Otherwise, a very light flavored/bodied easily pounded beer with nothing distinctive enough to make you either like or hate it. Lawnmower beer.
    Rating 3.15, rDev -7.6%.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's too bad that BA doesn't show a member's overall rDev for beers rated so that I could see if you are a stingy rater. (Or is this info available somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?) But do you describe yourself as a conservative rater, or are each of these beers that you've rated so far really all just 'average' beers? It hardly looks like it's worth buying this box of beers.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and Ozzylizard like this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

I rate hard. My average before starting this box was 3.67.

10. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day! Today's sample from the Costco box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/05/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried weizen glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Very light amber, clear.
    Body – Light brown, very slight haze.
    Head – Large (Maximum twenty cm, stabilizing at fourteen, aggressive center pour), light tan, medium density, average retention, eventually diminishing to a five mm crown and complete cap. Large irregular three-dimensional pieces of tiny to small-bubbled lacing remain hanging on the glass as the head recedes.
    Lacing – Excellent. Wide irregular three-dimensional bands of tiny to small bubbles. See above.
    Aroma – 3.25 – Weak malt, no hops, no yeast.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins and ends slightly sweet and malty. No hops. No yeasty elements. No alcohol (5.3 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Almost medium, watery, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.25. Very much like drinking weak wort that has been carbonated.
    Rating 3.14, rDev -11.8%.

11. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Today's advent brew:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/06/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried weizen glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    Body – Light gold, very slight haze.
    Head – Large (Maximum twenty cm, stabilizing at ten, aggressive center pour), off white, medium density, average retention, eventually diminishing to a six to seven mm crown and complete cap. A few small islands of tiny to small-bubbled lacing remain hanging on the glass as the head recedes.
    Lacing – Fair. Some three-dimensional arms of tiny to small bubbles reach up from the crown. See also above.
    Aroma – 3.5 – Yeast, clove, weak banana.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins slightly yeasty with faint clove. Ends with faint clove. No alcohol (5.6 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5. Thus far, one of the better brews from this box. Fruit fly approved.
    Rating 3.53, rDev +0.9%.

12. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Another Costco brew bites the dust:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/07/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in, lacking a pilsner/pokal, a hand washed and dried weizen glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    First pour – Gold, clear.
    Body – Gold, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum twenty cm, stabilizing at ten, aggressive center pour), Gold-tinted white, medium density, average retention, eventually diminishing to a ten to twenty mm crown and complete cap. Large irregular three-dimensional pieces of tiny to small-bubbled lacing remain hanging on the glass as the head recedes.
    Lacing – Excellent. Wide irregular three-dimensional bands of tiny to small bubbles with a few stalactites. See above.
    Aroma – 3 – Weak malt, no hops, no yeast.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins and ends slightly sweet and malty but does not taste like caramel. No hops. No yeasty elements. No alcohol (5.0 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, almost syrupy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. Meets the parameters for a European Export/Helles beer with a pleasing gold coloration.
    Rating 3.09, rDev -8.6%.

13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

If a prop person working for a television sitcom had 20 minutes to come up with a design for a fictional beer brand, I think he or she would still come up with something more convincing looking than that can. :grin:

14. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (597) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Since I got a wine and a beer advent calendar from Costco I decided to start my beer calendar 3 days ago as a way to celebrate the days leading to Thanksgiving. Now I've gotten the beer calendar before and found most of the beers in years past to be about subpar or below. However this year's is delicious, that is if you like basic German style beers.
    The Helles Lager I had on Day 1 might be the best Helles Lager I ever had. The Hefeweizen was the most interesting Hefeweizen in that I got orange and clove flavors instead of the usual banana profile. The Marzen I had on Day 3 tasted and looked like a Festibier, was not the best example of the style but was enjoyable nonetheless.
    I look forward to the other 21 beers as this year's calendar is top notch.

15. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (50) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

For as much time you spent describing the beer and how you stored and poured it. you should learn some pouring techniques, That head is ridiculous.

16. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's entry from the Costco box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/08/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 55 degrees in a hand washed and dried imperial pint.
    Appearance – 3.
    First pour – Very light yellow, clear.
    Body – Light yellow, slight haze. Note: second pour produces a yellow, hazily opaque body somewhat thinner than a NEIPA.
    Head – Large (Maximum fourteen cm, stabilizing at six, aggressive center pour), white, medium density, average retention, eventually diminishing to a ragged ten mm crown and complete cap. Small three-dimensional islands of tiny to small-bubbled lacing remain hanging on the glass as the head recedes.
    Lacing – Fair. Partial sheet of tiny to small bubbles remain. See also above.
    Aroma – 3 - Very weak lemony hops.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins and ends slightly sweet and malty but does not taste like caramel – a bit fruity. No hops. No alcohol (4.1 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, watery, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. Very average.
    Rating 3.03, rDev -8.5%.

17. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

You mean mid-glass, 45 degrees, etc. I pour to get the head I like - that's why I say in my review how I poured - so anyone reading it will know that it isn't a standard bar pour.

AlcahueteJ, Squire, zid and 1 other person like this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,352) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I generally use an aggressive pour myself because that's simply how I like it.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  19. KS_Augsburg

KS_Augsburg Initiate (186) Jul 29, 2018 Illinois
    Society Trader

I have looked at several of these beer advent calendars over the years - and always passed on the opportunity. It is my opinion that these calendars are actually novelty products - not authentic. The fact that most (if not all) of these beers come from the lesser known Privatbrauerei H. Egerer ruins it for me. I'm German, and go to Germany several times per year (mostly Baden-Württemberg and Bayern - southern Germany) I can say I can not recall ever seeing any of the beers in these advent boxes actually on the shelf in Germany. I love beer too much, and there is too much very good beer brewed here in the US instead of a poor import. I would never buy a kit like the one from Costco just because it pretends to be low volume stuff from the Fatherland. Don't get me wrong, I love beer from Germany, also, especially the classic styles like the Helles, Weißbier, Festbier, Märzen, Keller, etc. etc.

The Costco advent box is more geared toward the general Costco shopper, but not toward the beer connoisseur or enthusiast.

20. fritzfield

fritzfield Initiate (90) Nov 7, 2008 New Hampshire

Bingo!

KS_Augsburg likes this.
  21. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

I agree. So far they've been quite average.

KS_Augsburg and FBarber like this.
  22. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day. Today's New Breakfast Beer from the Costco box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/09/19.
    Appearance – 3.25.
    First pour – Light yellow, slight haze.
    Body – Light gold, slight haze.
    Head – Large (Maximum fourteen cm, quickly stabilizing at nine, aggressive center pour), white, medium density, good retention, eventually diminishing to a ragged ten mm crown and complete cap.
    Lacing – Poor. A few elongated three-dimensional pieces of foam remain hanging on the sides of the glass.
    Aroma – 3.25 – Weakly fruity and a bit of bubblegum and grain, no hops.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins lightly fruity and sweet, ends with some faint chocolate. No distinct yeastiness. No alcohol (5 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 Other than the faint chocolate taste, this appears to be a straight hefeweizen. Still, despite the paucity of lacing, it’s an attractive brew with a decent taste and aroma.
    Rating 3.4, rDev -0.9%

23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Nah, they just buy them from Earl Hays Press.

But these do look like adequate substitutes if the EHP shipment gets lost in transit.
    "Jimmy, here's my Costco card, run down and get us a few cases of that German Advent beer..."

24. WunderLlama

Society Trader

[​IMG] [\img]

Erlkonig Hell from Erl brau

3.77/5 rDev +1.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can from the 2019 Costco Advent calendar collection

"Exp 05/2021" printed on the bottom of the can

Poured into a pilsner glass, clear golden yellow, active streams of carbonation, one finger creamy white foam cap , settles to a solid layer , decent retention, good lacings

aroma is start, grassiness, malty

taste is clean, bready malts, grassiness,

light , crisp mouthfeel , light in flavor but there is a flavor

good beer -would be great on a hot afternoon after pushing the lawnmower around the yard

~ well, it was the end of the regular season for my men's soccer team. The good news is we won 5-1 and qualified for the playoffs. the bad news is we had a cookout after the match and I brought half of my Costco german biers so I have less to rate.... das ist schade

25. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

No guts no glory! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

26. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day Long-suffering BAs who purchased, and those just curious about, the Costco advent box! Today's descent into horror is :

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/11/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 55 degrees in a hand washed and dried chalice/goblet.
    Appearance – 3.25.
    First pour – Light amber, clear.
    Body – Medium amber.
    Head – Large (Maximum 6.5 cm, aggressive center pour), off white, medium density, poor retention, rapidly diminishing to a three mm crown and partial cap, few by thin effervescence.
    Lacing – Poor. Just a few tiny islands of tinier bubbles.
    Aroma – 3.25 – Fruity malt, no hops.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins quite bitter and malty with no hop flavor. Ends less bitter and slightly medicinal and metallic. No alcohol (6.5 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Final impression and summation: 3, and that’s being generous. The appearance, nose, and palate are average but acceptable. The flavor is plain nasty.
    Rating 3.1, rDev -11.9%.

For whatever reason, my drinking buddy Fhil the fruitfly seems to like it. (Yes, I've named a fruitfly.)

27. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's costco beer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/12/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L pilsner glass.
    Appearance – 4.
    Body – Light yellow, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 14 cm, aggressive center pour), white, high density, average retention, diminishing to a three to five mm crown that actually looks like a crown and thick complete cap. Some three-dimensional lace curtains remain as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Excellent! Very jagged three-dimensional bands of torn lace curtains. See also above.
    Aroma – 3 – Slightly sweet and grainy, no hops.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Moderately bitter and crisp. No grain or malt flavors, just some light hops and a touch of dimethylsulfide. No alcohol (4.7 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.25 – Light, watery, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 - Surprising tasty, at least to my palate. Although not a particularly well-made pilsner, it is unobtrusive and would go well with a bahnhof machine meal.
    Rating 3.39, rDev -3.1%.

28. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

At least this one has a nice-looking can. Do you factor the label into your appearance score when you review a beer?

FBarber, Ozzylizard and BenHoppy like this.
  29. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

No, although if a can/label is either particularly attractive or markedly ugly I will occasionally comment on it in the impression/summation section.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs. Today's journey in Costco' advent box yields:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/11/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L Schlenkerla Rauchbier glass.
    Appearance – 3.75.
    First pour – Amber, clear.
    Body – Dark amber with marginal light penetration. When held to direct light, dark red-amber, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 15 cm, stabilizing at six cm, aggressive center pour), light tan, meringue-like, good retention, diminishing to a twelve to twenty mm jagged crown and thick complete cap. Some tiny islands of lacing remain as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Fair. Leaves a very open lattice of tiny bubbles. See also above.
    Aroma – 3 – Light smoke, a bit of caramel malt, no hops.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Moderately smoky and slightly bitter with a caramelly aftertaste. No grain, malt, or hops. No alcohol (4.8 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3 – Medium, watery, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 More like Spezial than Schlenkerla, lacking the bacon/ham taste. Still, drinkable if a little weak on the smoke. Possibly a good gateway beer for the style.
    Rating 3.35, rDev -8.2%

Nothing I'd seek out but better than some.

31. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's entry from the Costco Privatbrauerei H. Egerer sampler:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/14/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L glass stein.
    Appearance – 3.5.
    First pour – Amber, clear.
    Body – Medium amber, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 12 cm, stabilizing at five cm, aggressive center pour), light tan, meringue-like, good retention diminishing to a five to ten mm jagged crown and a thin rocky cap.
    Lacing – Poor. Just a few tiny islands of tiny bubbles cling perilously to the glass.
    Aroma – 3.25 – Toasted malt with just a hint of caramel, no hops. Some biscuit after it breathes.
    Flavor – 2.5 - Begins moderately bitter with a metallic maltiness. Ends metallic. No alcohol (5.2 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Final impression and summation: 2.5 Looks decent but too much metal. Off to the drain.
    Rating 2.79, rDev -17.2%.

Tastes liking I'm having an MI.

32. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Annnnd - yet another beer from Egerer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/15/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 55 degrees in a hand washed and dried Imperial pint glass.
    Appearance – 4.25.
    First pour – Yellow, slight haze.
    Body – Light orange, hazy.
    Head – Large (Maximum 14 cm, stabilizing at five cm, aggressive center pour), off white, meringue-like, good retention, diminishing to a five mm crown which blends into the lacing, and a thick complete cap. Large amount of torn curtain lacing remains as the head retracts. Second pour leaves three-dimensional lumps of lacing that eventually slide into the liquid.
    Lacing – Excellent - see above.
    Aroma – 3.5 – Very fruity malty aroma.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins moderately bitter with a light pear/apple fruitiness followed by a touch of caramel. Ends with virtually no bitterness but is sparsely chalky. No alcohol (6 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 Taste is intriguing – not particularly appetizing but just odd enough to make me keep sipping – novelty vs goodness. One of the better cans from this box.
    Rating 3.5, rDev -3.6%.

33. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Yayyyy! Last Costco beer for this week! Tomorrow, for NBS, I'll treat myself to good beer!

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/16/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 54 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L stein.
    Appearance – 3.75.
    Body – Medium amber, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 11 cm, stabilizing at four cm, aggressive center pour), off white, high density with some small rocks, good retention, diminishing to an eight to twelve mm crown and a complete cap.
    Lacing – Fair. Partial rings of tiny to small bubbles
    Aroma – 3.25 – Untoasted malt with a bit of caramel.
    Flavor – 3.5 – Begins faintly bitter followed by a touch of caramel. Ends moderately hoppy and bitter with no caramel. No alcohol (5.5 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 Good looking beer despite the scant lacing. The aroma is a bit weak but otherwise OK. Flavor is decent. Overall, very drinkable.
    Rating 3.41, rDev +5.6%.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. WunderLlama

Society Trader

Ozzylizard, that’s the rub. The beers in this collection are good, however, i want to spend my time drinking great beers. looking at your ratings and my ratings, most of these beers are in the “3” range.

AlcahueteJ and Ozzylizard like this.
  35. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Absolutely! Extrapolating the trend, the remaining six beers from the box will be less than delightful although I have hope for an upcoming bock. But i committed to drinking then reviewing them in this thread, so the abuse continues Monday. After that, it's back to (hopefully) better beers.

AlcahueteJ, zid, beertrip and 2 others like this.
  36. FBarber

Society Trader

Im waiting until next month to start reviewing these, but I must admit your reviews have tempered my excitement. That being said, thanks for doing them - I've enjoyed them.

beertrip, Ozzylizard and PapaGoose03 like this.
  37. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Thanks! To me they represent 24 new beers. Most of them are fairly average (as are most beers) and produced by one brewery. I was hesitant about buying the box but my sister-in-law bought it for me so no economic less was incurred. Although I must admit this has lowered my opinion of German beers, I have never seen any of these brews while traveling in Germany.

38. FBarber

Society Trader

It sounds like it all one brewery ...

39. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good morning BAS! Well, once more into the breech as the final six beers begin their assault on my tastebuds. Today's:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/18/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L pilsener glass
    Appearance – 4.
    Body – Brown with reddish highlights, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 14 cm, stabilizing at six cm, aggressive center pour), light tan, high density, good retention, diminishing to a ten mm crown and a complete cap. Some three-dimensional chunks of lacing remain as the head retracts.
    Lacing – Good. Complete rings of tiny to small bubbles, with multiple small stalactites. See also above.
    Aroma – 4 – Strong malt.
    Flavor – 4 – Begins and ends slightly sweet and malty, but not roasted or toasted. There is a touch of bitterness on the aftertaste. Neither caramel nor chocolate. No alcohol (5.2 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4 A very tasty and “to style” Munchner dunkel. If I ever actually saw this beer for sale, I’d buy a case! So far, the best from the Costco box (19 down, five to go).
    Rating 3.95, rDev +9.7%.

AlcahueteJ, Rysk22, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  40. WunderLlama

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Burgerliches brauhaus altbairisch hell

costco advent calendar bier

opened 11 18 10, I’ve been good this year St. Nick , poured into a bier stein

clear golden yellow, active streams of carbonation , fruit hey, soapy , big bubble two finger white foam cap

aroma is straw, hay, grassy , whiff of apple

taste is grassy, straw, malts, hint of apple

light mouthfeel, light in taste

nice beer

AlcahueteJ, Ozzylizard and FBarber like this.