Costco is already selling an Advent calendar full of beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,855) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! Another passable brew from Privatbrauerei H. Egerer:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/19/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L glass stein.
    Appearance – 3.5.
    First pour – Dark yellow, clear.
    Body – Orange, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 10.5 cm, stabilizing at 4.5 cm, aggressive center pour), off white, meringue-like, good retention, diminishing to a five mm crown and cap.
    Lacing – Good. Narrow three-dimensional bands of tiny to small bubbles
    Aroma – 3.25 – Lightly toasted malt with just a hint of caramel, no hops.
    Flavor – 3.75 - Begins slightly sweet with lightly toasted malt, very slightly caramel in flavor. A very weak hop bitterness is noted on the aftertaste. No alcohol (5.4 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.75 Both the aromas and flavors are good but weak. This is probably beneficial because there is some metal on the aftertaste, just noticeable but too weak to be detrimental.
    Rating 3.59, rDev +3.5%.

2. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's incursion into Costco's advent box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/19/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 50 degrees in a hand washed and dried 0.5L glass stein.
    Appearance – 3.5.
    First pour – Light yellow, clear.
    Body – Yellow, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 11 cm, stabilizing at four cm, aggressive center pour), white, meringue-like, good retention, diminishing to ten to 25 mm jagged crown and a complete cap. Some small three-dimensional islands of lacing remain on the side of the glass.
    Lacing – Fair. Some irregular drag marks of tiny to small bubbles. See also above.
    Aroma – 2.5 – Dimethylsulfide.
    Flavor – 2.5 - Begins sweet with noticeable dimethylsulfide, no trace of hops or malt. Some raw barley appears on the aftertaste. No alcohol (5.1 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, almost syrupy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 2.5 More of an AAL than a marzen/Oktoberfest. Although the Reinheitsgebot is not mentioned on the can and the ingredient listed are water, hops, and malted barley, this tastes like corn syrup to me. One and (thankfully) done.
    Rating 2.64, rDev -23%.

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,566) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A tough one to drink, eh! Thanks for your efforts.

Ozzylizard and FBarber like this.
  4. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Yeah, tough. Although the last couple of centimeters at room temperature were not too bad - the DMS seemed to have faded away.

FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  5. Cait612

Cait612 Initiate (15) Nov 8, 2019

This doesn't appeal to me. I'll create my own advent calendar with much better beers lol

Ozzylizard likes this.
  6. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! Today's entry from the Costco box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/21/19.
    Appearance – 3.
    First pour – Gold, clear.
    Body – Gold, slight haze.
    Head – Large (Maximum 12 cm, stabilizing at five cm, aggressive center pour), off white, average retention, diminishing to a three mm crown and a complete cap.
    Lacing – None
    Aroma – 3 – Very weak toasted malt, no hops.
    Flavor – 3 – Begins and ends with lightly toasted, slightly bitter, malt. No hops. A bit of toffee on the belch. No alcohol (5.4 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 2.75 – Medium, almost syrupy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. A very average marzen, definitely not one to seek out. Number 22 consumed of the 24 in the box and the first NOT to say “Privatbrauerei H. Egerer” anywhere on the can.
    Rating 2.98, rDev -15.8%.

7. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Excellent idea!

Cait612 likes this.
  8. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Good day BAs! The end is near! The penultimate can from the Costco box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/22/19.
    Appearance – 3.5.
    First pour – Light orange, clear.
    Body – Gold, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 12 cm, stabilizing at three cm, aggressive center pour), off white, high density, average retention, diminishing to three mm crown and a complete cap. Some small three-dimensional islands of lacing remain on the side of the glass.
    Lacing – Fair. Partial bands of tiny to small bubbles with stalactites. See also above.
    Aroma – 3 - Roasted and woody like roasted peanut shells, no malt or hops.
    Flavor – 3 - Taste follows smell, slightly bitter, and ends dry. No alcohol (5.3 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.25 – Medium, watery, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3. Tastes a bit odd for a marzen, woody but not like you get with barrel-aging or smoked malt – like chewing on a piece of not particularly aromatic wood.
    Rating 3.06, rDev -11%.

9. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

The end! The last can from the Costco advent box:

$ 2.50 (Including tax)/500 mL can ($0.148/oz) from Costco, Schertz, TX. Part of the Costco 2019 Advent Calendar. Reviewed 11/23/19.
    Can dated “EXP 05/2021”. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 60 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 3.
    First pour – Light amber, clear.
    Body – Amber, clear.
    Head – Large (Maximum 5.5 cm, aggressive center pour), off white, medium density, average retention, diminishing to a two to three mm crown and a rocky partial cap.
    Lacing – Fair. Thin broken bands of tiny bubbles.
    Aroma – 3 – Very weak. Sweet malt lacking any hints of toasting/roasting. No hops.
    Flavor – 2.75 - Taste follows smell, otherwise a bit of caramel and toffee. No alcohol (7.5 % ABV as marked on the can) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 3 – Medium, almost syrupy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 2.75. Drinkable if you like sweet beers but not to style – don’t expect a doppelbock in anything but ABV. Approaches cloying.
    Rating 2.85, rDev -25.4%.

Disappointing. I'll be back after I fill out some spreadsheets and summarize my experience with this box. Prosit!

10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,140) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Haha, I like how you drank it in a week.

What do you mean? I’ve had plenty of German beers that didn’t taste metallic.

What do you mean by “fruity malt”?

Ozzylizard, FBarber and TrojanRB like this.
  11. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Distinctly tastes like malt but with a bit of fruit characteristics, mostly apple this time.

HoppingMadMonk and AlcahueteJ like this.
  12. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,409) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Apple is something that I would probably associate with yeast esters, rather than malt.

13. Jason

Jason Founder (8,488) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

German beers (mainly lagers) in general get lower ratings ... that have never deterred me.

14. Jason

acetaldehyde?

15. zid

zid Meyvn (1,378) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

@Ozzylizard - Thank you for taking the time to make all of your posts. Seeing your pics and reactions all in one spot (this thread) was great. For me, it provided a better snapshot of the box than having reviews spread throughout the database... and collecting those impressions in this thread might even be a more honest approach to the contents of the box. It's too bad that the experience as a whole seemed to turn negative for you.

16. AlcahueteJ

Was anyone else able to see the pictures of the beers a couple days ago and now can’t?

17. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (125) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  18. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (602) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

Got this as a gift yesterday. One of the better gifts I can think of to receive! I did the Costco advent calendar 2 or 3 years ago and enjoyed it. Anxious to see as palate has evolved how these hold up.

I started with the Hallertauer Hopfen Cuvée quite randomly. It’s got a worrying vapid, metallic note. I recall a poster earlier in this thread bemoaning all the beers have a metallic note to them. Hopefully this is a one off. The beer is ok.

HoppingMadMonk and zid like this.
  19. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,041) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Just finished the last beer in the Costco/Kalea 2019 Advent Calendar yesterday. Beers ranged from okay to very good with an emphasis on good but not necessarily great. Was worth a try and enjoyed many of them, but probably wouldn't buy this in future years, especially as I gather many of the beers are repeated from year to year.

HoppingMadMonk and zid like this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

Was just given a can of the Kauzle Helles from this box. Pretty poor-ass example of the style. Why in the world does a Helles have an expiration date of May 2021? Somebody hold on to one until then, and let's see how bad it is.

21. Beginner2

Beginner2 Poo-Bah (3,058) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society

I know I'm wickedly late to this party, but I just got this as a present.
    And what a clever idea !
    Is there an Advent Calendars for Belgians ?
    I saw an early entry of this thread, someone posted St. Bernardus.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  22. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (52) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

One word, Warsteiner.

23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Finally started this calendar since work had conspired to mess up my last couple of evenings.

First up, I drank the Käuzle helles lager - thought it was solid. The flavors drop off the palate too quickly, but otherwise it was pretty good. I'd happily drink it again. No metallic or skunky notes here.

Second I drank the Blau Weisse. Blau is about right - there wasn't anything wrong with the beer it just was - well if you could give me the most basic sanitized version of a Hefe this is what I'd expect it to taste like.

24. AlcahueteJ

Right, but there's plenty of German beers other than Warsteiner.

That's like saying all Belgian beers taste like Stella.

DISKORD and FBarber like this.
  25. Jason

I'm enjoying it so far, only problem I have with these beers is the lack of a good crisp carbonation. As for the extended expiration dates, not uncommon for some Euro imports. I'd love to see how hard they pasteurize, this obviously has an impact on flavor as well. So its a pack of decent somewhat interesting beers that could be improved but probably won't as its riding on that fact that it is a holiday gimmick. ;-)

26. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (597) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Warsteiner has a pretty solid Oktoberfest

27. BenHoppy

Having done this calendar twice with this year drinking in November vs December I did notice the beer tasting better. They say the beer will be good til May 2021 but this beer tastes much better fresh and I think they can these beers too early.

28. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,403) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Had Kauzle helles lager with lunch today. It was good,not spectacular but wasn't expecting a BA rating of 5 coming out of a box from costco[​IMG]

29. HoppingMadMonk

#2 is Blau Weisse, this one was very good. I think I'm biased because in a world where IPAs are favored I personally love a good lager or weisse beer. So take my comments with a large grain of salt[​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, BenHoppy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. HoppingMadMonk

31. Redheelr

Redheelr Aspirant (222) Feb 10, 2016 Colorado
    Society

I like some German beer, and this was bought by my dad for a Thanksgiving present. Honestly, don't waste your money. I agree w the guy who said they tasted tinny, and just almost every beer seemed very similar to the last one. Not impressed.

DISKORD likes this.
  32. Redheelr

Redheelr Aspirant (222) Feb 10, 2016 Colorado
    Society

This has been the only one so far I liked

AlcahueteJ and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  33. HoppingMadMonk

Beer #6. I believe. Again not world class but enjoyable,this wasn't one of the best so far but went well with food

So far I haven't gotten the tinny, metallic taste that turns people off from these so far and that @Redheelr has experienced [​IMG]

34. FBarber

Society Trader

Had a few more of these this evening. Erlkönig helles was drinkable, but not really a good helles. Reminded me of the heavily simplified "helles" lagers you get from the mass production breweries.

Next up was the Kress zwickel. This one was pretty disappointing to me - I found it to be somewhat oxidized. Got a wet cardboard aroma and flavor profile that lessened as it warmed, but never went away fully. This was the first full on dud for me.

Third was Memminger gold märzen. I actually thought this was a solid beer. Enjoyed drinking it and would have it again. It was a pretty straightforward beer for the style.

I think Im now 6 beers in and while they've been all pretty much around average I haven't noticed any metallic flavors in any of these beers ...

35. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,031) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I've drank my entire box except the two Hefeweizens. I think a lot of people are drinking these way too cold and too close together which would explain some metallic taste and "all tasting the same." They all taste better cool, but there are a few bummers in there as well. I reviewed mine at a rate of one a day and let them sit outside the fridge for 10 minutes or so before pouring. I enjoyed the experience more than the individual beers.

BenHoppy, FBarber, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  36. AlcahueteJ

Sure as heck doesn’t look like a Helles.

37. FBarber

Society Trader

Totally agree - I've noticed they are markedly better as the warm up a bit. To your other point - life has conspired to have me playing catchup already so I've had two a night for the last couple nights, but I haven't found them to tastethe same at all. I suspect the people who think they all taste the same may not drink these types of beers with any regularity and thus are unaccustomed to the more subtle differences in lagers.

BenHoppy, AlcahueteJ and jkblr like this.
  38. AlcahueteJ

While probably somewhat true, if you think a Hefeweizen and a Helles taste the same either the brewer really fucked up, or your palate needs some readjustment.

39. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (84) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Interesting choice, that one I believe is an Austrian brand, and quite an obscure one too - never seen in stores, and somehow only at one very specific bar off the Linzergasse in Salzburg.:thinking_face:

dbrauneis, HoppingMadMonk and FBarber like this.
  40. BenHoppy

Agree shouldn't be drinking any of these at a colder temperature than 40 degrees F

jkblr likes this.