Costco is already selling an Advent calendar full of beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,002) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

True. I was more referring to the lagers :wink:

HoppingMadMonk and AlcahueteJ like this.
  2. FBarber

Society Trader

Last night I drank the Ladenburger Weizenbock Hell - this was an objectively excellent weizenbock! I recently did a tasting with 5 weizenbocks for the online tasting and this one would have been my #2 or #3 had it been included in that tasting.

3. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (40) Dec 5, 2019

It is German beer though

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,142) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

yes but if it's a bunch of beer from a single middling brewery then that's sort of like saying that a pack of nothing but the full michelob line up is representative of american beer generally

DISKORD, PapaGoose03 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  5. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (40) Dec 5, 2019

but it isn't that

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  6. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,419) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Had the ladenburger weizenbock tonight and agree wholeheartedly with @FBarber . This was an excellent beer that I would try again

FBarber and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  7. zid

zid Meyvn (1,386) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

I was quite surprised to see a few of the To Øl beer advent calendars, To Ølekalender, at a Total Wine. I didn't pick one up. I don't know if the contents of the box change year after year, but I couldn't even find the contents of the 2019 box on the web.

8. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That seems to be what people are describing. What is the difference?

9. FBarber

Society Trader

I can say that these beers from the 2019 calendar are not all from the same brewery (let alone country). So far each has been from a different brewery. As for whether the calendar lineup changes year over year - I don't know since this is my first year doing it, but I do believe it does change at least somewhat.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Oh cool that is much more interesting. I didn't notice this last time I was in Costco but I might see if I can find it next time

FBarber likes this.
  11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,386) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

@FBarber , check the fine print. The labels might give top billing to various breweries, but a majority of the beers (if not all) might have been contract brewed by the same facility. I don’t have this set and don’t know the story.

12. FBarber

Society Trader

I've been reading the print on the side of the can, and it definitely lists different breweries - but I haven't seen anything about contract brewing. The canning seems to be done for the advent calendar as most of these beers appear in the more traditional .5L bottles on the respective brewery websites.

13. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (84) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Schnaitl is its own entity in an entirely different country, and I don’t think they’re a craft brewery but instead a regional Upper-Austrian one. I would’ve more likely seen it if Schnaitl were craft brewery.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  14. HoppingMadMonk

Altbairisch hell. I got a lot of different fruit behind the grain on this one. Made it interesting and was a very enjoyable flavorful beer. I think I stand alone for the most part but have enjoyed most of these[​IMG]

FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. FBarber

Society Trader

Ive enjoyed it overall so far! I have not been as down on the beers as some have seemed to be ...

PapaGoose03 and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,147) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Maybe that's the point?

Fruit in a Helles?

HoppingMadMonk and FBarber like this.
  17. FBarber

Society Trader

Looking at the reviews it seems like the hops must provide a fruity character to the beer.
    That is so cool.

HoppingMadMonk and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,147) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Hmm, wonder what hops they used?

19. FBarber

Society Trader

Ill see if there is any information on it tonight. I'm kind of curious now too ...

AlcahueteJ and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  20. HoppingMadMonk

@AlcahueteJ For me it was loading with notes of various types of fruit. Very interesting tasty beer

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  21. FBarber

Society Trader

The can does not indicate what hops were used and I cannot for the life of me find the kind of hops online. I didn't personally notice much in the way of fruitiness from the hops, but I did get a noticeable amount of DMS both on the nose and in the taste profile.

@HoppingMadMonk @AlcahueteJ

So it sounds like the beer is brewed at the different breweries, but Kalea arranges to have the beer shipped to a brewery with canning capabilities and they handle canning it all in the 16oz cans.

This is my google translate translation:

TJM, Hamilax, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  22. FBarber

Society Trader

Still working my way through this one although I'm now 6 days behind thanks to this past week ... I have to say I have been pretty happy so far. The last two - Ankerbrau Helles and Graminger Kirta dunkelweizen were really nice beers. Id happily drink both of those again.