News Could Amazon + WholeFoods = Beer Delivered to Your Door?

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Dmbphoenix, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (350) May 17, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Eddiehop likes this.
  2. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (167) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Too many regs regarding beer, unmanned alcohol delivery just begs to be picked apart by politicians. But I could be wrong, just gotta wait and see.

Brolo75, Prince_Casual, jcos and 3 others like this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (783) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Call me old-fashioned, but moldy old bricks and mortar, actually being around people will remain my preferred method of shopping...and I love to drive. My wife may be more prone to an Amazon drone, but will they do returns by air? That would be cool.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,920) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Yup, South Dakota is one of the states forbidding mail order beer. I bet distributors lobbied for that and convinced the state they'd miss out on taxes if they didn't prohibit it.

barrybeerdog and Thecalmdrinker like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,376) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

:-)

Given the way state legislators think about alcohol I'd bet the distributors didn't have to do much lobbying.

LuskusDelph and bbtkd like this.
  6. MNAle

MNAle Champion (899) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

That's really a big deal. And actually a legitimate concern for the states.

Thecalmdrinker, rgordon and bbtkd like this.
  7. bbtkd

Premium Member

Amazon recently reached an agreement with South Dakota, to collect taxes for items they sell and ship here. Perhaps if mail-order beer retailers would reach similar agreements with the state, then things might turn around. The number of breweries distributed here is quite limited compared to most states, though it has been improving. Mail-order would be great so we can try some of the brews we see 'yall drinking and reviewing. Until then, may need to get into trading...

8. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (167) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I think it's so frustrating that marijuana is legal in some states, people milk pain doctors and sell pain pills by the thousands, and also, I can order nicotine juice online only providing a picture of my drivers license as legitimate age verification. Even pure 100% nicotine mix. However, something as simple as beer, where only people like us even give a crap enough to hunt down these variants and breweries , is so difficult to get through the mail.

9. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,202) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I love the place I live but hate the people in charge.

I've ordered beer online a few times, I've only found 2 sites that actually deliver to NJ; I've found even more sites that don't ship to NJ. FedEx requires a signature with deliver which can be annoying if everyone in your home is working during the day and try to deliver early. It's just a matter of time, people love the convenience of online shopping/delivery and if there is money to be made it will come to pass.

Marijuana is illegal here (for now) and legal in a few states while pain meds are given out by the bushel by MDs. Breweries can't serve you beer unless you do a tour, breweries also cannot serve food.

Some laws make no sense and some bill proposals make complete sense but get rejected. It's easier to simply keep the status quo than modify it. Ahh, politics

LuskusDelph likes this.
  10. rgordon

In the not too distant past, I've personally lobbied particularly obstinate legislators for some legal initiatives that they blindly opposed. When I mentioned the added revenues- one was raising the alcohol limit in North Carolina above 6% (2005)- two of these naysayers began to listen. Steady revenue is political manna. Losing possible revenue is anathema.

cavedave likes this.
  11. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (250) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Now if beer is delivered directly from the brewery, you may be on to something. But if it's delivered from some big Amazon service center, not a chance. Unless you like drinking six month or older IPAs...because that's exactly what you will receive. They will no doubt train their employees to push out older inventory first. Your desire for the freshest beer possible will not be shared by this service.

If you want a job done right, you got to do it yourself.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,702) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

There's already a store in California that will add sales tax to orders from Wyoming.
    15%!!

13. nmoe

nmoe Initiate (156) Dec 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Amazon actually already delivers beer in Minneapolis with their Amazon Now service. They partnered with a local liquor store and can drop it off in an hour after ordering. If you only got to check the canned on date before you bought.

djtothemoney likes this.
  14. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (420) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Minnesota... a pioneer in beer delivery... I''m shocked :slight_smile:

djtothemoney likes this.
  15. bbtkd

Premium Member

In Minnesota, since Amazon is working with local liquor stores, you're still limited to what is in local distribution. This keeps distributors, retailers, and the state happy since they all get their cut. But for the consumer, it just saves them a trip to the liquor store, it doesn't net them any new breweries. To be of any use to me, I'd want access to new beers and breweries I can't chase down locally.

runmn, VABA and Harrison8 like this.
  16. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (350) May 17, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Well if you think about it, anything is possible. Ive used Amazon Prime for years but never Amazon Fresh. But my impression of AmazFresh is that DOES indeed work with local supplies. And with growlers, I would think local supplies would be key.

OMG...the thought of Fresh Growler fills from Wholefoods delivered by drone....the future is here!

Harrison8 likes this.
  17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,316) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

Just to be clear, FedEx/UPS require a signature for all alcohol deliveries. It's a run-around to prevent under-21 year olds from ordering. The onus falls on the delivery person to check the ID and verify they are 21+ years old, although they are often far to busy to even check an ID. I have never been IDed at my house when a package showed up, but I have always been IDed at the store when I pick up a package (both to verify it's me before I get my package, and again to verify I'm 21+).

It's also worth mentioning, FedEx will reroute a package mid-transit to be held at a location for pick up. I always reroute my online beer orders to the FedEx office that is located on my drive home. Mild annoyance to stop and pick it up compared with just having it on the porch, but may better than trying to coordinate having someone at the house to receive the package. I have never had to pay to reroute it to a store, I just put a claim in on the tracking page. UPS might charge, but I wouldn't know. FedEx will charge to reroute to another address besides a FedEx location.

It does sound like NJ has some backwards, or strange policies. I don't know much about the law exactly, but I have always heard the MDs out there pass out painkillers like candy.

DonicBoom likes this.
  18. jcos

jcos Aspirant (251) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I'd be happy if I could simply buy beer at the Whole Foods that is 5 minutes walking from my house. Thank you Montgomery County, MD!

19. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (351) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'd never heard of "nicotine juice" before so I did some quick googling. Not only can you buy it, you can buy it by the 55 gallon barrel full :confused:

https://www.vaporworld.biz/bulk/liquid-nicotine/55-gallon-drum-of-100mg-nicotine/

We live in strange times...

20. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (307) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

This doesn't sound that exciting to me, what's wrong with leaving your house every once in a while? I like going to the store to get beer.

21. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (500) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

There's the rub. I buy plenty from Amazon, but I don't trust Amazon or some local supplier to check beer dates for me; in fact, I would only trust them to send me the oldest beer in the warehouse in their own interest. It's similar to why I don't use any grocery delivery service... I don't trust them to be checking for damaged packaging, unripe/over-ripe/bruised/rotten produce, freshness dates on meats/dairy, etc. I'll drive the few minutes down the road to the store to make sure I get the best product.

22. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (297) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

They won't be sending things across state lines (yet), and they won't be delivering it from giant fulfillment warehouses (yet), and they won't be delivering by drone (yet). This move gives them 431 prime retail locations, most of which are in upper middle class or rich parts of cities and suburbs, and they'll leverage all of those locations to expand Prime Now and Prime Fresh to basically every market where Whole Foods operates.

Anyone who thinks alcohol delivery isn't feasible just needs to look at Drizly, which is already operating in at least 19 states. In fact, if I was Drizly I would be very, very afraid right now.

For that matter, if I was Safeway or Kroger I'd also be a bit concerned about this development. Amazon already has a grocery store in Seattle with no checkout lines (which means much lower labor), and if they expand that model to Whole Foods they could absolutely crush the local competition with lower prices.

Oh, and for the people who are concerned about freshness dates, keep in mind that Amazon is one of the best in the world when it come to "just in time" delivery, which means they don't stock any more product than they absolutely need to, so in theory you shouldn't have to worry about stacks of old beer coming from them.

23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (342) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

No offense dude but WAY more people drink beer than smoke marijuana, and the amount of people who pop diverted pain meds or vape is a drop in the bucket compared to beer drinkers.

It's also illegal to mail marijuana, illegal to mail prescriptions (particularly narcotics that aren't yours), illegal to mail cigarettes, and illegal to mail alcohol. All of those are illegal. E juice is merely overlooked currently because it's a tiny amount of people who actually use mods or whatever they call them now and add liquid. As soon as they figure out how to slap a huge tax on that, it will be illegal to ship that too.

24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,253) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I cannot see this happening at all, major issue would be minors. There is no way they can guarantee that the delivery would be received by an adult. So sadly it will not happen. Think about it, drone lands with your beer, neighbor kid snags, gets drunk, lawsuit.

25. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,792) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I can get beer delivered to my door now in California but I would rather visit my local bottle shops than pay the shipping fee. But, as I recently learned, it's important to me that I see the bottled on or best by dates on beer because I purchased some IPAs that were days away from their Best By Date.

VABA likes this.
  26. bbtkd

Premium Member

But - Amazon partners with local liquor stores, so Amazon never sees it and therefore can't directly control it. Amazon could place freshness requirements on their partners, and threaten to pull said partnerships if they don't meet requirements, but unless Amazon makes it a point to remind people to check, there may not be many complaints.

27. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

There's already beer delivery services in some bigger college towns and I personally have a local pizza joint that will deliver beer. So I'd say the time is already upon us. beer delivery is a thing

28. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,257) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Beer has been delivered to homes for well over a century. Think about it - in the pre-Pro era, when beer came only in heavy refillable bottles packed in wooden cases of 24 bottles and most people didn't have automobiles - how else were people drinking at home (granted, most beer at the time wasn't consumed at home or in bottles, but on tap).

Just one example, from a local bottler "ready to deliver to any address, on short notice. A ring by... phone will bring the wagon":

[​IMG]
    Or, if there wasn't a local brewery or bottler in town, you could always get the beer shipped to you:
    [​IMG]

#28 jesskidden, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  29. rgordon

"The Beer that Made Milwaukee JEALOUS, BALLANTINE" .......That's perfect.

30. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (297) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Partnering with a liquor store is a completely different scenario, just like buying from a "third party seller" on Amazon's website is different than buying something that's "sold and shipped by Amazon." In the first example, it's the third party's money that's tied up in inventory carrying costs, and Amazon doesn't give a shit how much they're sitting on as long as the order gets fulfilled.

Once Whole Foods becomes part of Amazon you can guarantee that they'll do everything in their power to control costs (because that's what they do best), and they'll keep inventory levels to a minimum.

bbtkd likes this.
  31. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (220) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I actually can order LOCAL and National beer on Amazon in Cincinnati. I have never done it, but its an option.