Counter Weight Brewing Company

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bgar15, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (242) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

How so? Am I reading this wrong? Possible! Can't a brewery have a coolship but it's not the main focus? Maybe my wording was wrong on initial post, but I thought it was obvious that you can have general market beers plus unique/more rare stuff. I dunno.

2. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (331) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Picked up a 4 pack of Headway today. Will try one out after dinner.

skleice likes this.
  3. coteman6789

coteman6789 Initiate (118) Jan 22, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Anyone find Headway around Hartford County? I know Harvest had it yesterday, but sold out before I could get there.

4. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (180) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Would also like to know the answer to this question... :slight_smile:

Also, this place looks freakin' gorgeous:

They are hosting a CT Hops for Hope event on April 23.

Shyla987, smutty33 and skleice like this.
  5. JBYRD64

JBYRD64 Aspirant (281) Feb 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Anyone see cans hit Fairfield County yet?
    One of my stores in Norwalk said his distributor just keeps telling him any day now.

6. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (45) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I got one can (broken up and 1pp) in WH today for $3.99. Will open it later.

7. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Place looks really nice! Hopefully, the beer is just as good or better.

8. cosmicdebris

Beer Trader

Excellent brew well done

[​IMG]

OntheLambic, smutty33 and skleice like this.
  9. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (148) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Glad to see that places are already pulling that crap. Suggested price is $9.99/4 pack. I vehemently oppose breaking up brews that are packaged in a 4 or 6 pack format. That is the way the brewery intends for the beer to be sold. I do understand limiting a customer to 1 4 or 6 pack but this breaking up, then limiting, all the while gouging bullshit needs to stop. As long as there is a customer (please don't take this as a personal insult, we've all fallen prey), the stores will continue to pillage and play games. Hope you enjoy. I thought the beer was fantastic. FWIW, I got one from a friend who is real tight with Matt.

10. 3underscore

3underscore Initiate (108) Aug 13, 2015 Connecticut

A store I spoke with (who are certainly good at putting beer out and pricing fair) said that there are only 100 or so cases out there right now as they ramp up production and their allotment was pushed back a few weeks.

11. OatmattStout

OatmattStout Devotee (435) Nov 20, 2002 Connecticut

boy do I already hate the word "coolship"

PierogiSmash likes this.
  12. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (45) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah I normally pass, but couldn't resist on this one. Having it now and am very impressed.

13. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Fantastic IPA. Very dank; mango, papaya aroma intertwined. Tropical cornucopia on taste; assertive malt. Crisp, semi-dry finish. Hint of IBUs.

Surprised no can date. Would think with all new equipment...

OntheLambic and skleice like this.
  14. skleice

Beer Trader

Not me! I'm not sure of Matt's experience with those styles, but I would be extremely excited to have more local good quality sours.

15. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (228) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Had Headway on tap in Fairfield County today ... delicious. Hoping to see cans show up.

16. marjen

marjen Initiate (133) Jun 24, 2015 Connecticut

Found a can in Oxford today at Spirits of 67. He said he only got in a single 4 pack so he was splitting it up. Not trilled but wanted to try it out. Will crack it this evening.

17. Phishagonia

Phishagonia Disciple (339) Jan 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I was too late last night getting to the mom and pop shop I frequent, and they had sold out. Manager said they only got one case due to a slight canning issue, but there should be plenty on the way in the next week or two. That's what the distributor told them, though.

18. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (209) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Had it on Tap at SBC Milford Wednesday Night. Thought it was very good. Will be keeping an eye out for cans.

Phishagonia likes this.
  19. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (190) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Found a 4pk. Outstanding initial offering from CWB. Look out for them this year.

Phishagonia likes this.
  20. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (288) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was surprised it was on their $3 draft list Monday. Wish I'd had enough time to grab more than one.

21. Phishagonia

Phishagonia Disciple (339) Jan 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Just found it; I like it a lot.

22. skleice

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Picked up a 4pack at Liquor World Cromwell today...$10.99.

Phishagonia likes this.
  23. marjen

marjen Initiate (133) Jun 24, 2015 Connecticut

Just trying it now, got to say I think it's definitely one of CTs best. Very good, smooth citrusy, hazy IPA.

24. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Aspirant (236) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Just paid $9 for a pint at a local bar. Excellent IPA. Won't pay that much again but "needed" to taste this. Look forward to finding it in stores soon and getting 4 for the price of one. Not sure why it's so expensive on draft.

25. skleice

Beer Trader

I think it is very similar to NEBCO beers...which would make sense, amirite? It's less 'grassy' and a bit more flavorful than a typical NEBCO brew imo. Not a mind blowing offering, but very solid for sure. Definitely not a NE style juice bomb if that's what anybody is expecting.

26. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (285) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Drinking on a Headway now and can say IMO it's an absolutely wonderful brew. Looking forward to what the future holds, and if this beer is any indication, it is big things.

smutty33 and GaryChalmers like this.
  27. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (285) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

There is definitely some 'grassy' character to the beer, at least for me, but I'm digging the more balanced nature of it. There is a nice bitter bite in the finish that I long for in NE style IPAs. If I can find this on the regular, it will be a new go to for me for sure. Hope distribution is consistent and there are no games if this takes off in popularity.

28. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (242) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

What? That's insane gouging. The keg price doesn't warrant that at all.

29. alpinebryant

alpinebryant Meyvn (1,343) Feb 11, 2009 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Any ffld cty sittings?

30. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Aspirant (237) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Haven't paid more than $6.50. $9 is insane.

31. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (581) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

You should let us all know what bar it was so we can eliminate any chance of ever going there.

seplo likes this.
  32. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (209) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Paid $4 on tap at SBC. (Happy hour).

Phishagonia likes this.
  33. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (197) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Then you should have said that. A brewery can be a sour ale brewery (all that means is that they're a brewery that brews sour ales) and still not have it be their main focus. Saying they're not a sour ale brewery and then mentioning that they have a coolship and a foeder is silly.

34. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (528) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Shit, they charge $9 for a pint of Lagunitas IPA at Redstone in Simsbury. That's why we don't go there too often. Interestingly, I just checked their website., Lag IPA is listed at $7, but I swear it was $9 a couple weeks ago. Oh and look at that, Counter Weight Headway... $9. McGladdens isn't much better, most beers are $8 but smaller pours.

35. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Aspirant (236) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Ding, ding, ding. You guessed it. I even asked the owner about the absurd price. He said "well not many people have it. "I said "so the price is because it's rare?" He said "it's not everyday a new brewery opens in CT." I don't visit Red Stone Pub or McLadden's very often because of their outrageous prices.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  36. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I think interpreting his posts the way you did is silly.

37. purephase

purephase Initiate (166) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

CTHopman, smutty33 and Shyla987 like this.
  38. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Can sale tomorrow!
    Pilsner 4 packs $10
    Oatmeal Stout 4 packs $12
    Five 4 packs max
    12-4
    I may not sleep tonight!

sulldaddy and smutty33 like this.
  39. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (581) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Thanks for this B, great read on many levels.

Even more excited for Counter Weight, and what Matt is going to add to the CT. beer scene that he already helped create. Respect.

seplo likes this.
  40. cosmicdebris

Beer Trader

In and Out today with no problems ... Will try out the Pilsner later

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.