Counter Weight Brewing Company

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bgar15, Jan 30, 2017.

1. mjco04

mjco04 Aspirant (210) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Another great thing about Counter Weight is their guest beer list. They're tapping the new Lasting Brass gose tonight.

2. purephase

purephase Initiate (169) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I know it's not the trendiest style but the wit is really good. It's super refreshing.

3. Macsimus

Macsimus Aspirant (263) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Likely will be visiting the brewery next Friday, June 23rd. Any chance there will be some can(s) around for me to purchase? Cheers!

4. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (235) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

They seem to have some cans each weekend for several weeks now. That said, they aren't usually saying what they will have until Thursday each week.

5. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (186) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Here is this weekend's can lineup:

6. purephase

Beer Trader

I heard this run of Wizard Fight has the same yeast as the most recent Space Coyote.

7. purephase

Beer Trader

I thought the Wizard Fight with the new yeast was good, but I think I preferred the original run simply due to greater bitterness on the finish. This run of Workhorse is definitely my favorite so far though.

8. MattKozaka

MattKozaka Initiate (111) May 15, 2017 Connecticut

Are Headway and Wizard Citra dominant? Maybe Summit? Both are too catty for my tastes. Unfortunately, just one is enough.

Coyote is a peach delight, however.

9. Macsimus

Macsimus Aspirant (263) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Any news on cans for this Friday?

10. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (70) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

They usually announce what they'll have for cans that weekend on Thursday afternoon. I'd be surprised if they didn't have cans available; I think they've only gone one weekend since they've opened where they weren't offering can sales.

Macsimus likes this.
  11. mja271

mja271 Initiate (144) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I feel like Headway tastes different every time I have it. I've had a few pours at bars that I reallyyyy liked, and some that I've been greatly underwhelmed by. Idk if I'm alone in that experience.

12. PenningtonNY10

New batch of Space Coyote cans + pilsner + wit

Shyla987 likes this.
  13. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (181) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

No, you're not, at all.

14. Crumps_Brother

Crumps_Brother Initiate (131) Jun 24, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Going to CT for a few days in August

Wanted to check out Counter Weight and New England but both will be closed the whole time I'm there

Looking for someone who frequently gets their releases to work out a trade while I'm in CT...staying in New Haven

15. Phishagonia

Phishagonia Disciple (346) Jan 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Definitely not alone, not to mention the can overfilling issue they had a few batches back. They're still perfecting it. I still grab it every time I see it, though.

16. Hodge017

Hodge017 Initiate (106) Apr 29, 2017 Connecticut

Hey man let me know when you'll be around, work in Bridgeport and have most of there releases let me know.

17. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (544) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

How is overfilling an issue?

18. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (181) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Can overfilling issue? You mean when you crack it where there's literally a meniscus where there's beer on top of the can? Like somehow they packed 16.1 oz in a 16 oz can?

For starters, I see no way how that would be a "problem". Limiting any and all headspace protects the longevity of the beer.

Second, this was the norm for NEBCO. Used to always joke around with friends about cans of Hag and Gandhi being 13 oz'ers.

I also know you weren't the one to make the original post, pbrian.

BababooeyHTJ, pbrian and CTHopman like this.
  19. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (163) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

13 and 17 oz. brews respectively. Spritz all over the place even with a careful open. As long as the beers are cold, no issues save for an "extra" .75 oz. brew (after spritz). Weigh them. About .7 oz. more weight than counterparts of similar styles.

jlordi12 and pbrian like this.
  20. PenningtonNY10

I loved when I cracked a Sea Hag and the beer came flowing out!

Anyways, Counter Weight has cans of a Citra IPA tomorrow, but it isn't called Fuzzy Baby Ducks, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :wink:

smutty33, BababooeyHTJ and pbrian like this.
  21. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (544) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I always make sure my arms are fully extended when opening a Hag.

22. mjco04

Beer Trader

The new Audition is pretty good. Does anyone think that Counter Weight IPAs have this certain unique characteristic to them? Like the mouth feel and the taste are quite different. They're more soft to drink and mellow in terms of flavor profile. Headway so far is the only IPA I can associate with the classic IPA.

23. purephase

Beer Trader

I haven't tried Inundation yet but I think some of the more recent IPAs they've done with the newer yeast strain like the second Wizard Fight and second orange Space Coyote have definitely been on the softer side, especially compared to Matt's previous hoppy stuff from NEBCO (though that also makes them more similar to what so many breweries in the region are currently pursuing). I do think that besides Headway, Spiral Architect also has more a "classic" IPA profile.

24. mjco04

Beer Trader

Yea Spiral has more hop bite to it. I think that's what's making me feel like their IPAs taste a bit underwhelming because they try to do softer style without overdoing the juicy aspect of it.

25. purephase

Beer Trader

Yeah I thought the first batch of Wizard Fight was better than the second one precisely because it still had a nice bite to it, but I'm the only one of my friends with that opinion. I did think the second orange Space Coyote was really good though and the softness worked nicely in that instance, but Spiral is definitely my favorite hoppy beer they've released so far and I hope it doesn't get similarly reformulated.

26. Hodge017

Hodge017 Initiate (106) Apr 29, 2017 Connecticut

Matt didn't brew the second orange Coyote. Which would explain some of the differences

beanoboy7 likes this.
  27. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (160) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Quite frankly I'm loving what counterweight is doing. I never thought that I would praise a pilsner. The grisette is fantastic too. Their IPAs are great without following the trends. The place just puts out great beer.

smutty33 and Shyla987 like this.
  28. mja271

mja271 Initiate (144) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I really liked Inundation. Being a big IPA guy I'm pleasantly surprised to say that I think the pilsner, grisette and stout are 3 of the top beers this place makes imo. Good stuff. And a really nice taproom as well.

29. 3underscore

3underscore Initiate (110) Aug 13, 2015 Connecticut

Looks like a mixed berry gose audition is coming this week.

beanoboy7 and PenningtonNY10 like this.
  30. lfiorillo

lfiorillo Initiate (123) Nov 13, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I saw that on their Instagram page. I know virtually nothing about brewing, but I think "racking" refers to moving it to secondary fermentation. So my guess is that it's not being released this week.

31. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (416) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Could mean racking to kegs, too

32. PenningtonNY10

Mixed berry gose it is! Plus, DIPA collab with Lasting Brass.

BababooeyHTJ, mjco04 and Shyla987 like this.
  33. mjco04

Beer Trader

You beat me to it. :stuck_out_tongue: So excited to grab some on Friday.

34. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (605) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Cohesive Resistance sounds more than interesting. Haven't had a chance to try Denali hops yet. After hearing John Kimmich describe what they tasted like in Skadoosh, I've been very eager. Van Art Gose sounds good as well for this summer heat.

35. CTHopman

For me, regardless of hops, descriptions or style; Ed and Matt can basically do no wrong. Relic did an all Denali beer. Super dank pineapple forward with tropical notes. A bit sweet for me. Sure the Gose is on point as well. I will assuredly be there.

mjco04 and PenningtonNY10 like this.
  36. mjco04

Beer Trader

I was able to get Skadoosh can. Not sure if that's the one with Denali hops but it was really tasty.

37. CTHopman

@PenningtonNY10 Just had both of these beers and they are absolutely fantastic!

smutty33 likes this.
  38. PenningtonNY10

Damn I just read the DIPA cans sold out. Was hoping for some tomorrow!

39. mjco04

Beer Trader

Van Art was fantastic. Slightly tart and very refreshing summer beer. Well done.

pjs234 likes this.
  40. Jsukys

Jsukys Initiate (144) Apr 18, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thread bump, new spiral architect sounds great!

• About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.