COVID-19 and MN Taprooms

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by TrailsandAles, Mar 15, 2020.

1. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

And probably not even the best way for real-time decision-making, since deaths are very much a lagging indicator. IOW, those who die this week were in the "new cases" number perhaps a month ago, or even longer.
    Hospitalizations, while still lagging, are not lagging as much as deaths and are a much better indicator for advising government and personal action, IMO.

Yet, tracking this is very much below the headlines, and is rarely reported on broadcast media. About the closest they come is talking about ICU beds.

It is very true, however, that this disease has a much different demographic profile than does the seasonal flu, and that has been something that no governor (to my knowledge), including ours, has handled properly.

maximum12 likes this.
  2. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (442) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota
    Society

Going back in time, why were stores like Home Depot & Menards allowed to be open if this was really all that bad of a virus? Because they sell food? What a joke.

I have plenty more to say, but why bother. But I will say this: This virus is nothing to play around with, think of others not just yourself. We DO NOT need to have the bars open.

Minnebrew likes this.
  3. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (171) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

Hardware stores are considered essential because they help us maintain the homes in which we’re sequestered.

Nothing to do with them selling sunflower seeds or junk food by their cash registers.

4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,788) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

A new daily record today in deaths (MN) 05/21 at 32.

5. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,280) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

You should also point out studies are also showing 35-50 % of the population is asymptomatic and showing no signs or very mild signs of the virus.

From CNN:"The CDC also says its "best estimate" is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have Covid-19 will die, and the agency estimates that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick."

0.4% is pretty low to start with but note that is in people who "Show symptoms" not all who have it. The death rate is much lower likely if you include those 40% of asymptomatic cases"

The death rate for the flu is 0.1% if you want to compare it .

For most (99+% of people) you're more likely to be impacted by something else in regards to your mortality than this. Death rate for average person is very low when you factor in all the asympomatic cases. Even lower when you factor in all ages and physical conditions of those who are dying.

State has a capacity of 2354 IU beds. We are at 1,047. Unless we turn into NYC we'll be adequately prepared.

% of tests Covid positive in the state are declining according to their dashboard as is community spread.

The focus should be on LTC where the vast majority of people are dying. I don't recall a lot of LTC folks in the taprooms I've been at and they are not allowing visitors so not sure I see how this lockdown helps them at all either.

I really don't care if places open up or not but you should state all the facts. I know personally I'm more worried about being killed in a car crash by a person texting and driving than I am from this.

#125 ZAP, May 22, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    MNBeer1017 likes this.
  6. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Initiate (175) Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

And where were 28 of the 32?

MNBeer1017 likes this.
  7. MRC711

MRC711 Initiate (97) Oct 22, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

If you have the right to go out in public, anywhere you want and catch this, don't wear a mask ,and pass this on to a vulnerable person then I have every right to text and drive.

8. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,603) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Wow. I merely put up a website with *facts* & this response is full of "CNN is a source" & a mis-reading of facts & figures. This is going to be too long, but I can't leave bad misinformation unanswered.

Source? I dug around the CDC website & could not find this "CNN estimate". Also, please note the word "estimate". Twice.

No thank you. I don't want to compare bad numbers to bad numbers & it perpetuates the dangerous notion that Covid-19 is just a bad flu. Here's a helpful summary article or two:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-covid-19-isnt-the-flu
    https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/...ody-count-20-times-higher-seasonal-flu-deaths

Studies & estimates, so not 100% reliable, but minimizing a virus that's killed nearly 2x more in two months than a typical flu 'season' is not apples to apples for many reasons - including lack of immunity, lack of reliable treatment regimen, lack of vaccine, etc. Many people want to stick their heads in the sand. Problem is, they are endangering others.

Ah, my favorite argument. "You could get hit by lightning. Buck up, little camper!"

I have no idea what this collection of words means. If you're saying as testing has slowly amped up there are less positive results as a percentage well, that's just logical. Before we were just testing those with obvious symptoms; now it's spread far beyond that population.

Saving the best for last. You led with a statement of numbers that is simply false. It appears you are mixing up numbers & populations. Here's the best "estimate" I could find (& again only estimates):

Enjoy your day!

9. ZAP

Society

I didn't format this correct but the link, etc are all in there.

#129 ZAP, May 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM
  10. ZAP

Society

Who said I don't wear a mask. I figure it can't hurt so I do but if you think that it is factual that wearing a mask is going to prevent this I suggest you look at what Dr. Osterholm from the U says (one of the top experts on this).

The University of Minnesota's Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Dr. Michael Osterholm says that despite guidelines to the contrary, masks for the general public just don't help all that much.

"We know that the virus can be transmitted by what we call air assaults, its the tiniest of particles. If anything comes in along the side of the mask or escapes that way, then it really minimizes both to protection for the individual who used the mask or the protection for others so that if I'm infected, I don't transmit to them. That's when you get into the surgical masks and to the cloth masks. And quite honestly, the data for both is lacking that they are major impediments, and he's getting infected or infecting others."

https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/dr-osterholm-questions-covid-19-guidelines-on-cloth-masks

Like I said I figure if they help a little in me not spreading it to some older vulnerable person at the grocery store who has no-one to shop for them that is worth it. I also try and do stay 6 feet or more from those people and all people. I'm a master at social distancing if I do say so myself. Between that and the mask I'm pretty certain I'm not infecting anyone.

I do get a kick out of those of you who think wearing a mask is the "be all end all" though. Could it help? Maybe. Some studies support that. Some don't. I think every study suggests texting and driving is dangerous though.

But you go ahead and keep texting and driving and run me over while I'm running along side the road ok? Hopefully the mask you have on protects you and you make it out of the collision ok and I don't damage your vehicle too much!

#130 ZAP, May 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    MNBeer1017 likes this.
  11. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Dr. Osterholm is in his element with this. He has a long and wildly inaccurate record of "we're all gonna die" disaster predictions (including for this pandemic, BTW). I wouldn't take his word for anything, but that's me.

I'm going with this:

CDC Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings

"In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure"

maximum12 likes this.
  12. ZAP

Society

You are correct on Osterholm's inaccurate record which is why I still wear them but it's not a definite fact they help. Still can't hurt. CDC basically says if you can stay 6 feet apart they aren't needed. I do stay 6 feet apart most of the time. One of my greatest attributes if I do say so myself. But even an expert social distancer like myself can lose focus and be surprised turning a corner in a grocery aisle and be face to face with someone.

MNAle likes this.
  13. MRC711

MRC711 Initiate (97) Oct 22, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Satire, my friend, satire.
    Might be the first time I've ever quoted myself. Lol

14. ZAP

Society

The only other thing I'll add as I don't have time to go back and forth on this on a holiday weekend but you are correct in saying this should not be compared to the flu.

I didn't mean to give that impression but I can see how it may have been interpreted that way.

Yes the death rate will end up being in the same ball park in the end but many more people will die from this because we have no immunity to Co-Vid 19 and it spreads very easily, where the flu does not since we have vaccines for that and natual immunity in some cases.

Many more infections from Co-Vid 19=many more deaths even with a similar death rate.

But the actual death rate of all those infected by Covid-19 in the end will be in the same ballpark as the flu and they are discovering that already.

15. gatornation

Society Trader

In MN.

nograz likes this.
  16. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (171) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

I don't mean to pile on you but do you know that the age group catching COVID-19 in MN the most is 30-39? That age range is very common in taprooms.

You may not die if you are in that age group and catch COVID-19 but you may become very sick. I know someone who is 36, in good shape, no known conditions and got pneumonia after he caught COVID-19. He said he thought he was going to die. He was hospitalized and out of work for 6 weeks.

COVID-19 is not only about very old people dying (although I really want to protect my 70+ year old parents and in-laws from getting sick/dying).

17. gatornation

Society Trader

Wow you are OK with death with the elderly /auto immune dying thru today at 842 in MN. Hope they are not your parents grand parents sister/brother. And if say 10% are not considered elderly then you are ok with 84 deaths as collateral?

stinsonwbs, nograz and JMN44 like this.
  18. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (37) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

Guys, I know it has been a rough few months for everyone can we please stick to news specific to breweries/brewpubs on this thread and leave to talk of Minnesota COVID policies/statistics to other online forums?

DCintheMSP, jera1350, cmannes and 4 others like this.
  19. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Deaths do not tell the whole story, hospitalizations do. Those cases are severe at all age levels or they would be sent home to fight off the virus.

A 29 year old might have "survived" but only because they were on a vent for 15+ days, multiple blood transfusions, lingering health issues as a result of their treatment and drugs used, etc....and a $1,000,000 hospital bill.

20. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (261) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Most of the breweries doing curbside?...plan to hit up Barrel Theory and Black Stack for sure, but would love to support others that have the option as well.....up visiting my parents for the week, and the two year old loves car ride adventures.... lol

21. gatornation

Society Trader

Try Falling Knife ,nice assortment of style’s, and good brew. Stinson and Broadway area NE MPLS.

TrailsandAles and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  22. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (76) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

ECOBOOSTINST and Chaz like this.
  23. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (85) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

Falling Knife and Venn have a lot of good options as well.

24. Nuts4Barrel-aged

Nuts4Barrel-aged Initiate (104) Dec 14, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

Grabbed some crowlers from Lupulin this week and they were fantastic. DDH Hooey was great. Some value crowlers of Blissful for $5 was pretty neat too.

25. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,182) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Wild Mind is also a good option in the cities.

26. gatornation

Society Trader

Anyone have a list of Taprooms opening up next week? Is 50 the max amount of people allowed with outdoor seating ,reservations required per restaurant mandate? Wcco had a partial list today
    Bad Weather
    Surly
    Waldmann
    Lake Monster
    Fulton
    One

TrailsandAles likes this.
  27. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (60) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

And piggybacking off that question...
    Does anyone know if Drastic Measures or Copper Trail have outdoor seating?

28. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,182) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I know Disgruntled in Perham was talking about opening up for outdoor seating.
    Goat Ridge in New London is opening up for outdoor seating. They're requiring masks, which I have no clue how you can drink a beer and wear a mask at the same time.

29. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,793) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Schram Haus and Schram Winery will be open. Waconia Brewing is still try to figure things out as they do not have a large outdoor space. I guess they are trying to work something out with the city to take over part of the parking lot otherwise it would not be worth it to open.

30. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,307) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Hey, what happened to @islay around here? He hasn't posted since this whole quarantine fun started. I mean, he did have some good knowledge and passion despite his obvious distaste for NEIPAs.

31. gatornation

Society Trader

Page @Chaz

32. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Still lurking. Coronavirus has taken much of the fun out of craft beer for me for the time being (can't visit taprooms, business developments are depressing). Best of luck to all of these breweries as they struggle to stay afloat!

bsp77 likes this.
  33. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,122) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

MIA. Two whole months!

[​IMG]

maximum12, Redrover and bsp77 like this.