"Craft Beer" appearance on sitcom, not an average sighting.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gopens44, Jan 11, 2016.

?

What does the generic "craft beer" bottle likely represent?

1. Craft beer has jumped the shark

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Craft beer has gained equal footing with macro in recognition

28 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Sly way of provoking a few more dollars in ad revenue

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gopens44

gopens44 Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I realize that there is a craft beer on TV sighting thread but I am interested in discussing one particular sighting and what it may have meant.

Last night while watching a new show on Fox, (Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life), I noticed that they were drinking out of beer bottles with a unique label. As I watched closely, I noticed that the labels simply said "Craft Beer" instead of being branded. This is something I haven't' seen before - generic CRAFT labels.

Here's my question, musing or whatever - does the generic reference suggest that craft beer has jumped the shark? Become mainstream enough to compete with simply "beer" (as this is a generic macro label I've seen) based on the likely demographic of viewership? Or is this a very cunning way to invite craft breweries to inquire about product placement deals?

utopiajane likes this.
  2. charlzm

charlzm Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

It's just a way to try to reinforce the traits of the characters (being cool, being ahead of the curve, being a pretentious d-bag, etc...) who are seen in the company of "craft beer".

Might also be a paid product placement.

3. SailIntoTheStout

SailIntoTheStout Aug 29, 2015 Michigan

I noticed on Orange is the New Black, if they were drinking beer it as always craft. Stone and Southern Tier most of the time. I noticed Sculpin one time on Big Bang Theory.

4. Mikexw

Mikexw Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Trader

I've noticed Ballast Point multiple times on BBT, thought it was Sculpin or Grapefruit Sculpin but wasn't positive. It's actually even possible that it was the same episode multiple times, but I don't think so.

5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I saw this on that show last night as well. Thought it looked kind of funny...
    First time watching that show, and while its no 'Last Man on Earth', it was pretty funny.

6. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I agree with Poster #2, that for better or for worse, this character is a "craft" beer drinker.

Sculpin made it's presence known on Silicon Valley!

wdberkley likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Anyone remember the Drew Carrey show? Growing up in a beer wasteland, that show more or less introduced me to the concept that you could brew your own beer and sell it. Before that I only knew macros and imports.

8. flexmagli

flexmagli Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Stone makes many appearances on the show Weeds from what I remember.

9. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

I noticed Sculpin on Silicon Valley. They actually mentioned it by name.

10. SLewis

SLewis Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Green Man has made an appearance on the HBO show Eastbound and Down, and the characters on that show are most certainly not the typical "craft beer drinkers."
    I thought it was cool that they would have a somewhat local beer on the show for the setting.

11. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

I believe that some Portland, OR craft beers, or neon signs, have appeared on Grimm. I'm sure a few have cropped up on Portlandia.

12. Jmorey

Jmorey Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

yeah, i'm going to go with it is part of the joke...

otherwise they could just use whatever beer they want (doesn't Terrapin show up on walking dead a lot, but they haven't paid for placement...?) or use a common fake beer, there are a few widely used versions out there. But no one is going to know these obscure beers are "craft" so they make it big enough and prominent enough for you to figure it out.

13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I've also seen S/N Pale Ale and Newcastle Brown Ale on that show

creepinjeeper, CJNAPS and Mikexw like this.
  14. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

None of the above.

dennis3951 and Relik like this.
  15. tillmac62

tillmac62 Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

Ditto drtth, above.

16. KCUnited

KCUnited Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

Next weeks episode has them standing in line for a "Vanilla Coffee Stout" release.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. gopens44

gopens44 Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I already knew that there was an "I saw a beer on TV!" thread out there. My point was the oddity of a generic "Craft Beer" label on a beer featured on TV, and what the overall opinion of why or how that label came to pass.

*Edit - To put this on very simple terms, when I saw the generic label on the show, I thought "Hey, that looks odd." and figured I'd see what others thought.

rather likes this.
  18. utopiajane

utopiajane Jun 11, 2013 New York

Nope it's a tribute .

19. beerluvr

beerluvr Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I noticed that too! And had to point that out to everyone watching, lol. I've also noticed bottles of Sierra Nevada PA more than one episode too.

20. flexmagli

flexmagli Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Lots of times shows will put generic products on the show with the hope a company will give them money for product placement. Most likely the case here.

gopens44 likes this.
  21. OldTownBeerGeek

OldTownBeerGeek Jan 5, 2016 Virginia

I noticed Upland in an episode of Parks & Recreation a couple years ago. A good Indiana reference for a show set (fictionally) in Indiana.

macewank likes this.
  22. Relik

Relik Apr 20, 2011 Canada (NS)

It means they don't want to pay for product placement or can not afford it.

drtth likes this.
  23. SoulFroosh

SoulFroosh Apr 19, 2014 Maine

I've spotted Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams on old episodes of f.r.i.e.n.d.s
    It was cool coz every episode Joey and Chandler would have a new 6 pk on top of their fridge.
    Pretty much it was always cool imports or craft beer (even way back in the 90s)

hopnado and foundersfan1 like this.
  24. macewank

macewank Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Proving once again that Joey and Chandler were the two coolest cats in NYC in the 90s.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  25. Seanem44

Seanem44 Mar 18, 2014 Virginia

That was first show (Big bang Theory) that came to mind for me, with Ballast Point and Sierra Nevada. Makes sense since the show takes place in CA.

beerluvr and Mikexw like this.
  26. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

I've seen cans of Sculpin on Top Chef recently

27. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

It seems that nearly every episode of "How I met your Mother" the group was drinking some type of brown bottled craft beer, but I never recall them every showing the labels.

28. WillemHC

WillemHC Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I've seen Gilfoil (sp?) drinking Old Rasputin on multiple occasions too.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  29. Dravin

Dravin Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

No, not any more than generic soda, fast food, or snack foods on TV shows means those items have jumped the shark.

It depends on how it was played. If the distinction between them drinking "craft beer" rather than "beer" is supposed to communicate something about the characters or the scene then that means the people involved with the show expect enough of the audience to get the associations. Having a biker guy order an appletini to communicate this isn't your normal biker only works if the audience understands bikers and appletinis enough to catch it's an atypical drink for such a character. On the flip side it could be intended as an inside nod rather that intended to communicate something to the audience, in that case common understanding isn't required. If it's an inside nod rather than put there for story purposes then it could just be nothing more than a few folks on set who enjoy craft beer wanting to give a nod to something they like without doing any product placement.

cjgiant likes this.
  30. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

You know what...I do recall that. And it is interesting that the billionaires were drinking the Sculpins

31. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Maybe not jumped the shark, but possibly now becoming a bit more passé, or even normal.
    Whether a beer is "craft" or not shouldn't matter anyway. What matters more is if a beer is good. Who makes it is of little importance.

32. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Mar 26, 2013 California

a friend of mine works on the show. he said Sculpin is Mike Judge's favorite beer

haven't heard how he feels about the buyout

33. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

It's a sly way for creators to show their love.

cjgiant and mpmcguire11 like this.
  34. digitalflood

digitalflood Feb 4, 2011 New York
    Society

I think it's still sly marketing at this point. Does the general populace know craft exists: Absolutely. Are 75% of drinkers in your average bar drinking macro only: Absolutely. We're unfortunately still a minority albeit a vocal one. :wink:

35. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Seen a few here and there. Can't remember them off the top of my head but I have been surprised by one or two.

36. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

was recently watching Master of None and noticed quite a bit of craft beer placement

37. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I noticed on Justified both the bar Boyd owned and the bar Raylan lived over had various craft handles on display. Kinda odd it seemed for what was portrayed as hillbilly Kentucky dive bars.

38. Pantalones

Pantalones Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

My first thought upon hearing the idea of a beer label just saying "Craft Beer" is... that it was probably meant as a joke.

Basically the same idea as using a generic white-can-black-text "BEER" label (aside from the fact that that actually existed at some point!) or one of the fictional beer labels, except specifying "hey, this generic/fictional beer isn't made by an international mega-brewer like Bud/Miller/Coors."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.