Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

477 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Arctic Panzer Wolf and a big bag of Nacho cheese pretzel Combos? Yes please. Everything a growing boy needs!

2. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Exactly!!!!!

ThomasMetal75 and Premo88 like this.
  3. Higy

Higy Feb 9, 2012 Indiana

I was working in southern OH, near WV line, and visited a gas station with a brew thru (i love seeing these because they don`t exist in IN. Anyways, they were selling growlers to go, awesome! They had a few very local brews but also had BMC available (i couldn't resist a chuckly), why not?

More accessibility the better...let's not be a bunch of hipsters and get up in arms when our favorite beers get more mainstream.

4. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

You can't stop at a gas station in Wisconsin without finding New Glarus in the cooler. I find nothing wrong with that.

5. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I would buy more standard lineup craft beers for convenience at a Gas station/convenience store as I know they would still be decent beers most likely. If I'm constantly find 3+ month old Firestone Walker, Stone, English and German beers etc. at the most reputable craft beer store in my area, why would I trust fresh craft beer from a conveince store/gas station owner?

6. Noelito76

Noelito76 Oct 30, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

In Puerto Rico I depend on gas stations to get craft beer, so yeah why not. My same freshness standards will apply.

ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  7. nismo80

nismo80 Feb 6, 2008 Pennsylvania

beer at a gas station? what is this fantastical foolishness?

must be nice to see anything. IF... I could get beer at a gas station (while not away on vacation) I wonder how long the craft beer would sit and never sell. Besides, I pay at the pump and rarely go in the station. Well, beer would get me to enter more!

8. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

www.freemybeer.com

9. dcs1548

dcs1548 Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

Honestly what's cool about this idea is that it could introduce more people to craft beer. While a typical beer drinker may never wander into a beer store that specifically focuses on craft beer, if they see a new and interesting beer while at their local gas station they may be inclined to give this beer a try.

Spikester likes this.
  10. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

thanks for keeping this going guys this thread keeps getting better with more info that's added

11. cvengeance

cvengeance Dec 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I miss being able to grab beer at a gas station back in NY, Pennsylvania really needs to get a move on this.

12. KentT

KentT Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Being able to buy singles of many a craft beer at a gas station has made it cheap and easy for me to try new beers.

13. azorie

azorie Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I think I said this before In Germany on the autobahn, you can buy beer, wine. liquor and petrol. Still you do not want to drink and drive. :D:rolleyes:

I never not seen a store in the south not sell beer. Some even sell good beer.

14. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I can barely trust my local craft stores to keep fresh beers in stock. No way I'm trusting any IPA at a gas station to be fresh.

15. JISurfer

JISurfer Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Every Sonoco station down here has a growler station and bottle selection, with mostly legit craft. They've had this for a couple of years now. I have yet to get any beer from them. Instead, I go directly to the breweries (Westbrook, COAST, or Holy City) or the Charleston Beer Exchange. My thing, is I don't know if they clean their lines and how long a beer has been there. It's probably snobbish of me, but that's how I roll.

16. ZionNation

ZionNation Jun 24, 2013 Arizona

not only do gas stations in AZ sell craft beer, they have taken it a step further, gas stations in AZ are starting to offer growlers. On Christmas day with all other stores closed and me jonesing for something hoppy, I drove down to my nearest gas station that offers growers, I had noticed they had Sierra Celebration on tap. So I go in there and the Sierra is gone and replaced by a bunch of crappy local beers. I asked the clerk about it, and he says nobody bought the Sierra Nevada and they sent the keg away half full. I ended up buying nothing.

azorie likes this.
  17. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

You people outside of NJ are spoiled. We can only get beer at liquor stores. I'd love the convenience of getting a full tank and a nice 6 pack

18. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

That is actually exactly what it tasted like.

19. timmy2b

timmy2b Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I have craft stations at gas stations. 6 or 8 beers on tap and one of them is always decent. There are also quite a few six packs, mostly local stuff (southern tier, Ithaca) which is nice if I am too late for my regular beer store.

20. craftaholic

craftaholic Jun 14, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

My local gas station just did an overhaul of their beer collection.. bombers, mix six, variety cases. what used to reach the outskirts of magic hat and sam now include founders, southern tier, troegs, and stone

Spikester and azorie like this.
  21. mattdegroat

mattdegroat Mar 14, 2008 New York

I live near a gas station that had 25 oz corked and caged bottles of ommegang abbey on the shelves for about 6 months. It wasn't moving well at their price, so one day I walked in and it was on the clearance rack for $1.99 per bottle. A little age on an abbey ale can't hurt, so I grabbed a bunch of them...

utopiajane and azorie like this.
  22. Rback

Rback Feb 26, 2012 New York

Is this the sound of the bubble bursting

23. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Nov 20, 2013 California

I know of a gas station/food mart in an affluent housing community that sells Pliny. Too far a drive for me, but I've heard they've got quite the selection. Based upon their geographics and typical incomes in this golf community, I wouldn't struggle at all purchasing there. Next time I drive through I'll take a better look, but I do know people that have purchased there and were stoked.

24. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Ah!!! Nothing like a growler of fresh Bud on Christmas morning!

25. Tirefan

Tirefan Nov 9, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Not sure if it's been mentioned but sam's quik shop in Durham fits this concept completely, except it's more of a bottle shop that you can buy gas at.

c2mcclel likes this.
  26. pitweasel

pitweasel Jun 11, 2007 New York

No, it is not. It is the sound of businesses expanding.

27. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

But can you pick your own six pack or do they chose for you when they pump your gas.

That was the damnedest experience my first time in Jersey.

Givemebeer likes this.
  28. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

Colorado's weird liquor laws won't allow real beer to be sold at most gas stations (only 3.2), however there is one in Golden where they've opened a liquor store inside a gas station. Not sure how they worked that, but I went there the other day on my way home and they had a pretty nice craft selection. I'd rather go to the real deal but I had no issue with this.

29. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

I say put craft beer in every gas station.

Spikester likes this.
  30. Halluxone

Halluxone Dec 7, 2012 Georgia

I say put craft beer in every gas pump. I'll take $20 of Sucks on pump five.

kabritz, Hermthegerm and surfcaster like this.
  31. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Jan 25, 2012 Texas

I had to take a business trip to Oregon a couple of years ago. When I finally got to my hotel it was pretty late. There was a gas station sharing the same parking lot as the hotel. I stopped to fill up my rental car. When I went to pay I found a full section of craft beer inside. I was thrilled to be able to grab a 6 of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale ale and bring it up to my room. So my response is a resounding yes.

Spikester likes this.
  32. hwy395

hwy395 Jan 20, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I can't believe no one has mentioned Bend, OR. Growlerguys are big there w/ 30 taps at the gas stations and car washes including Boneyard Hop Venom, FW Double Jack, Union Jack, Sculpin and too many other awesome beers to remember. One wall is the taps one wall is the Armor All products at the car washes. At the gas stations, they are offering free tastings, even at 7:30 AM and bits of jerky on a plate to cleanse your palate between tastings
    ( I assume )
    Here's the kick...$9.99 growler fills ( anyone's growler, their own, Russian River, Drakes...etc ) and a coupon in the local paper for free growler with 8+ gallon fill up.

I was so afraid I was going to wake up.

The gas station ( note Chevron reflected in the glass ):

[​IMG]

The car wash:

[​IMG]

TaborTime, SShelly, kjlcm and 7 others like this.
  33. dave10mm

dave10mm Aug 3, 2013 California

we do here in so cal!! a hangar 24 DIPA to go! or stone Ruination, maybe a Sierra nevada torpedo bomber!

34. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I don't mind it - the more choices the better for the consumer IMO. But ultimately I'll make the decision to buy based on factors I always have: selection that suits me, freshness, convenience & pricing.

35. Shagator

Shagator Mar 17, 2012 Kentucky

Was in Charleston back in October and found the Charleston Beer Exchange. Great place (a little small)! On our way out of town we stopped at a Sunoco and was completely surprised when I saw all the taps. Almost thought of buying some just out of novelty.

JISurfer likes this.
  36. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

I swear that New Glarus could easily distribute to the entire Midwest with the amount of beer they put out. Lucky for us Wisconsinites, it all stays here. That means kegs of NG in every bar/restaurant and bottles in every location that sells beer.

steveh likes this.
  37. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa May 19, 2009 Washington

some people don't have craft beer at their gas stations? you poor, poor bastards.

beertunes and Spikester like this.
  38. GenericForumName

GenericForumName Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

i grew up in NJ and had 3 beer/liquor stores within 5 blocks. then I moved to PA and have 1 case only store for 15 + miles.

Count your blessings.

Oh yeah, your hours/pricing/distro are better too.

39. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Jan 16, 2011 Missouri

We have a gas station about a mile away with great craft beer. Usually the only place I can BCBS. Doesn't bother me at all.

40. colforbin73

colforbin73 Mar 30, 2010 California

reluctantly voted no.

this is a dumb thread again.

the big cali brands are ubiquitous here. i drink my share of all for sure. but there is no ADDED CONVENIENCE to me that i could buy a "generic craft" at the gas station. in fact the valero super store in my "town" has lagunitas and maybe even a stone, def an SN or 2.

i buy beer with food generally, least of all with gas.

what i would like is a place within 10 miles that has a kick ass selection.... i have to go at least 15-20 miles to get a good variety and see some new things. i have a bevmo and the grocery store. oh great, the gas station also has an ipa.

think more HIGH END.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!