Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

477 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I found out about Sunoco A+ Craft Beer Exchange from this thread yesterday morning; by yesterday afternoon, I had grabbed a number of beers I can't get at home.

No, this is no different than going to a good liquor store (although, I did gas up my car while there). Yes, it's still awesome.

VictorWisc likes this.
  2. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

You are starting to see this, in small steps. Its not to hard to find some SA, Sierea Nevada, and Dogfgish head brews in most gas stations......its only a matter of time before you can find more.

3. Brenden

Brenden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Toledo, OH was something of a craft beer wasteland until maybe 5-7 years ago. Slowly but surely, more bars started carrying real craft beer. Bars put in more tap lines. New bars put on more taps. New restaurants came onto the scene wanting to pair good beer with their food. Even the only brewery in town finally got a brewmaster who knew how to brew better than middle-of-the-road stuff. Now we've even got a few nanos distributing stuff locally. Five or more years ago, NO gas station carried anything more "craft" than Boston Lager. I could never think of any place carrying a selection of craft beer as a bad thing. More of a good thing, no matter where you get it, is always better than none of a good thing.

4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

This will happen in my state the day I win big on Power Ball, inherit Hefner's estate, and become an immortal superhero.

5. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 South Africa

I would love this, but some geniuses in the South African government recently introduced a law that says alcohol may not be sold on the same property as a petrol station :confused:
    I would love to hear their reasoning for this...

6. DistillersOutlet

DistillersOutlet Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 California

Gas Station Whales !!!!

Not for it ...

"Let me get that abyss and $20 on pump 9"
    Oh & don't forget the Danish lol Cheers !!!

7. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm curious, why wouldn't you want to grab an Abyss (or insert beer here) while you grabbing 4 gallons of gas? You're already there (don't have to burn gas to go to another store grab the Abyss), it's the same beer, and it's probably the same price. Don't get me wrong, I love my local bottle shop (Holla Elizabeth Station!), but I can grab a lot of really good beers without trucking on over there.

cavedave likes this.
  9. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

A few gas stations around Seattle have a pretty decent beer selection already, but so do most grocery stores, convenience stores, hole-in-the wall sandwich shops, bottle shops, liquor stores, etc. I'd know more about it but I generally just pay at the pump and can probably count on one hand the number of times in the past few years that I've actually walked inside the gas station food/beverage area. I guess I just assume prices will be higher, since convenience store prices usually tend to be higher than most other places. So I'd vote "don't care" if that option were available.

10. BeerGuyEsquire

BeerGuyEsquire Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Minnesota

I've always loved this about my across-the-river-neighbor-to-the-east. Walk into any gas station and there is a build your own sixer of new glarus, next to a display of raspberry tart and serendipity. If you go off the beaten path, you find thumbprint series sitting there collecting dust. Hello DIPA and Berliner!

smogfood likes this.
  11. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Arizona

In Seattle if you run a gas station and don't stock craft you're the exception.

Spikester likes this.
  12. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

Aww, poor craft Craig doesn't want the football team to start liking good beer. Only him and beard boy with gift for detecting subtle pear notes can like critical beer.

I pull this thread's pants down

13. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

Turnover. A good bottle shop centralizes the market and then turns over beers that by definition do not have long shelf lives. A gas station might be convenient for some people, but the point of having craft beer at "your" gas station redistributes the product and would inevitably lead to a lot of shelf-sitters that may never be purchased - unless that particular gas station builds a reputation for having craft beer (becomes a centralized market) or only orders in very small quantities to account for the fact that the majority of the customers walking in will not be interested in that particular product.

VictorWisc likes this.
  14. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

It wouldnt be terrible if freshness wasnt an issue .. you know there would be some 2 yr old stone ruination on the shelves .. thats my only issue.

15. xgeneralzodx

xgeneralzodx Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2009 California

Believe it or not there is a Chevron station/mini mart about 5 miles south of my home that carries a ridiculous selection of craft beers ( I bought some Cantillon there ). Its great having places like this. Freshness is never an issue because the buyer is on his A game and knows what he is doing.

Spikester likes this.
  16. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

I can't think of a gas station around here that doesn't at least have a few decent 6 packs. I found fresh Pliny at one down the street awhile back.

17. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

First trip to Italy '96 filled up at a gas station, went inside and there was a bar I mean a nice size bar there, and this was off a major highway. Don't know if the rules are any different today. That would be nice too.

18. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Pooh-Bah (1,675) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah

great responses here please keep it coming I'm learning alot and plan on visiting that place in Cincinnati at some point

19. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

Sam's Quick Shop in Durham still sells gas..
    So..

cavedave likes this.
  20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Ok, but what about gas stations? :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.