Craft beer hater pulls gun on people outside Brooklyn's Other Half Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,748) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://nypost.com/2020/02/08/craft...outside-brooklyns-other-half-brewing-company/

2. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,116) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Jaysus-tapdancing Christ. People are nuts.
    OR
    He was just upset at the length of the line....
    Yikes.

FLBeerGuy likes this.
  3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,180) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Damn... what the hell are we doing here folks?

4. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,158) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Well, anything can happen in NYC. But in all seriousness my experience is that the craft beer community is some of the nicest and polite folks I've come across. I've seen long lines without pushing, people helping strangers carry their purchase, and breweries that are essentially competing helping each other.

Let's hope this is an outlier with one person seeing a line and choosing to pick a fight.

mikeinportc and Shanex like this.
  5. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,166) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I thought that this was an article from The Onion as first.

6. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,239) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

He should be charged with a hate crime.

7. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Savant (955) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

I don’t know what was funnier... the “latest designer IPA” remark or calling the White Claw toss “threw the inferior can” lol

8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Wow, not sure what else to say. People are just dam crazy. Or he was a plant from Brew Dog to stir up some media hype, hey you never know with them :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  9. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

What the hell is a designer IPA?

And how can I get one?

(I'm kidding)

New Yorkers love the line culture. iPhones. Shoes. Now it's beer. I hate it. They make it bigger than themselves because their lives are drab. Im glad I don't have to live amongst them.

10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

That read like an Onion article. Lots of good lines: "the latest designer IPA" "The gun-slinging skeptic" "annoyed craft-beer hater" "27-year-old Manhattan software engineer" "Bourbon Barrel Aged Bananaversary Imperial Stout, and All 6th Anniversary Everything Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchee Imperial Stout." "First the taunts flew, then some of the camp chairs" "He began drinking a can of White Claw hard seltzer — which may have been just another taunt" "‘Oh what, is this the only Airbnb you can afford?’" "He just looked like a regular white guy with a beard" .

Well done New York Post, well done!

mikeinportc, bmugan, Vitacca and 23 others like this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

It's the phrase I've been looking for for years to describe these things.

12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    LOL

13. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Meyvn (1,365) May 3, 2014 New York
    Trader

If you are amused by my local paper's yellow style check out their "Weird but
    True" files at https://nypost.com/tag/weird-but-true/

In all honesty, this particular writer seemed v. liberal with the quotes, but whoever said, "Oh what, is this the only Airbnb you can afford?" is pretty spot on, kinda douchey, or just igorant, depending on your stance.

Think about it. I bet that guy didn't think twice about sleeping overnight like the homeless on the sidewalks, albeit in designer folding chairs, in that 'decrepit' but made safe through beer-gentrified neighborhood to drop hundreds of dollars on what is a luxury item, yet sniffs at the people that have cut their teeth growing up there. That statement reeks of privilege and a bit of bigotry. Errrr.

Anyhow, the NYPost is my go to for sports.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,944) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Geez, this does look like fun. I'm convinced. Will stop buying "shelfies" at the liquor store immediately.
    [​IMG]

MrUse, mikeinportc, bmugan and 20 others like this.
  15. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

"beer lovers with camp chairs and hand trucks regularly line up overnight to buy limited-run, $18 four-packs in collectible cans, sold when the doors open Saturday mornings.

It was at around 9 p.m. when the gunman and a woman he was with allegedly confronted the long line of hops hipsters."

No one, well hardly anyone, deserves to be threatened with a gun, but, TBH, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you if you don't have anything better to do on a Friday night then spend it in line waiting for a Saturday release.

16. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (869) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Somehow, this is a perfect example of where we are as a country. Tribel, intolerate, yelling at each other without hearing what the other side is saying, forgetting that we have more in common then what seperates as Americans.

Sad

From a beer perspective, when was the last time you encouraged a non craft beer person to continue to drink a non craft beer, because it what they clearly enjoy.

17. DcVines

DcVines Initiate (12) Dec 27, 2019

ok

18. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,357) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Dude threw a white claw hahahaha

eppCOS and officerbill like this.
  19. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,738) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

This is absurd and slightly frightening. This means there shouldn't be sympathy for someone who elects to spend their time watching Netflix, playing board games, going for a walk, or otherwise being out in public enjoying a personal interest.

They're waiting in a brewery line. Not much different than being at a bar getting a pour or buying beer at the store. Now someone pulls a gun on you because they disagree with your choice of beer. Same thing, and that's frightening.

Sandis, Craft_Drinks and IMFletcher like this.
  20. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Of course they don't deserve to be threatened with being shot, but still, these are folks who are camping out an entire Friday night waiting in a line outside of a brewery in order to get a Saturday morning release. Sorry, but that's just sad.

21. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Disciple (392) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

"Ain't no laws when drinking Claws" is not a viable defense and will not hold up in any courtroom. So in fact if you choose to drink White Claws, be responsible and know your limit.
    Someone had to say it......

22. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

There have been release line robberies for years in the NY area , but never for beer. We're talking higher prices luxury items like Jordan/Nike shoes or iPhones. Everyone in line has cash and their phones on them. It's easy pickings if one would want to rob everyone in line.

For years, it was made unsafe because you have people who aren't from the area just assuming an area is safe. But you're out in line at midnight in the streets like a bum. You kind of get what you deserve when you're reckless with your surroundings.

23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,738) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I guess anything is sad depending on the eyes. Tell people you debate the merits of beer online and they'll look at ya funny.

I'm glad you walked back the first part though. Posts like that make us sound snobby and pretentious. No body deserves to be threatened while enjoying a pastime.

ElmerLovejoy and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  24. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (102) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

This doesn’t sound like it had anything to do with the surroundings. It’s generally a very safe area, it does border Red Hook which has some hefty projects and poverty but I’ve never seen that element bleed over to OH.

This sounds like the outlier of outliers. Also possible he got the AirBNB expecting access to the anniversary release, then saw what he was in for and got tilted.

25. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,414) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Most likely this. He booked the AirBnB to go to the release and get a prime spot on line. He was probably also using the woman with him as a mule to double his allocation. He probably went out to the bar got buzzed and figured he could get back drink some claws and swoop on line at the last second with his "prime real estate." Upon coming back he realized his best laid plans had been foiled and this happened.

26. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,015) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Just proves that if flying White Claw fails, a Glock'll get you jail.

27. seakayak

seakayak Defender (677) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

The first thing I thought when hearing that some drunk brandished a weapon at a large crowd on a dark street, was how differently this might have ended for him in most parts of the country. He's lucky he lived to go to jail.

#27 seakayak, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  28. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (320) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

The sad part of this for us folks in Florida is that a not small number of those in line, and the gunman as well, will move to Spring Hill, where they will stand in line for New York style pastrami sandwiches instead of beer. The gunman will get mad and throw impossible burgers.

mikeinportc and the_bavarian like this.
  29. jesskidden

Society Trader

While certainly gun laws and attitudes differ from state to state, seems to me that beer geeks don't - who's gonna risk losing their place in line just to shoot someone (granted, a hard seltzer drinker, but still...)?

30. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (362) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I don't think his location is what made the difference for him:

At least he was just waving a gun around, not going for his wallet.

31. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (753) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Trader

The New York Post is a tabloid, not a newspaper lol

mikeinportc and Dan_K like this.
  32. Woodstock1984

Woodstock1984 Initiate (4) Feb 9, 2020

And don’t forget about the Cronut!!

I woke up at 5am and waited in line for 4 hours to get one for my wife’s birthday a few years back when it was new. I surprised her with it when she woke up in the morning.... and she thought it was gross.

I wound up eating it and I gotta say: worth it.

I hate myself.

33. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (233) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

So going inside and getting a gun was an indefensibly poor choice, but when I read the names of the beers these people were in line for I could totally understand someone getting pissed off and wanting to throw stuff at them.

I kinda think white claws should be thrown at any brewer who names their beers Bourbon Barrel Aged Bananaversary Imperial Stout and All 6th Anniversary Everything Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchee Imperial Stout.

... And the woman who dodged the thrown white claw and yelled "you don't throw beer at girls" should be embarrassed for calling white claw a beer. And she fancies herself a craft aficionado? C'mon.

pinyin, mikeinportc, bmugan and 5 others like this.
  34. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (336) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

I'm sure us law abiding gun owners will be blamed for it, especially with that gun hating clown we have for a Governor.:angry:

pinyin, beergoot, SILVER and 7 others like this.
  35. jesskidden

Society Trader

And calling herself a "girl" - they should have kicked her out of line since she admitted to not being old enough to buy alcohol.

And, wait - so it's OK to throw beer at "boys" aka dudes, guys, men? How about...(Hate to bring up an even more controversial topic but:slight_smile:)...dogs? Does Other Half allow dogs? Can a dog hold his owner's place in line?

36. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (250) Mar 28, 2011 New York

New York has a large contingent of out of towners - people from Ohio, New Mexico, wherever.
    I think line culture is a generational thing. I know I have too much going on to devote a few hours of my week to line up for anything.

37. ecpho

I can't believe those are real names to describe beer. I'd be embarrassed to produce something like that.

pinyin, Peach63, DrumKid003 and 6 others like this.
  38. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

The term designer IPA is the worst thing I've heard in craft beer. I hope that doesnt spread

Peach63, volta, mikeinportc and 2 others like this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,325) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

So much for NY tough gun laws, and On the heels of two police officers ambushed in the city and were shot. The gun violation alone should land the asshole in jail, let alone threatening to shoot someone. But big Bill will give him two tickets to a Mets game and tell him don’t do it again.

pinyin, Peach63, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  40. ecpho

It really is the most perfect and accurate description of the craft beer scene that has escaped us all here on BA. To think we have to thank the POS NY Post for this!