Craft beer, hip hop, and the clout of Nappy Roots

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.al.com/life/2019/10/craft-beer-hip-hop-and-the-clout-of-nappy-roots.html

2. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Can't see the article without disabling my ad blocker but I'm stoked for nappy roots and hope things go well for them

3. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

I truly hope they succeed, but I don't think I'm part of their targeted demographic

jasonmason likes this.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,332) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Good luck to them

5. Growlerghost73

Growlerghost73 Initiate (36) Oct 15, 2017 Indiana

Some Miss Piggy LAC tose IPA

6. Bmorebeergrl

Bmorebeergrl Initiate (10) Jan 8, 2018

I met them at a release of one of their beers at Hop City in Atlanta. There was such a diverse crowd there tasting and then purchasing their beer (men, women, white, black, over 40 and under, etc.) and all the guys seemed genuinely excited to have such a positive response and turnout. Based on that, I think all of us true craft beer fans may be their target demographic.

7. officerbill

Society

Then I guess I'm not a ”true craft beer fan”, since I don't drink fruit flavored milkshake IPA's and generally avoid beers with IPA or milk in the name or with added fruit flavors (other than gose or lambics :grin:).

Let me know when they start featuring lagers.

GOBLIN likes this.
  8. Pasearelli

Pasearelli Initiate (143) Mar 1, 2015 California
    Trader

Don't pre-judge. Drink beer, listen to hip hop..... repeat

BuffaloBill12, Somajiahu and stevepat like this.
  9. Somajiahu

Somajiahu Initiate (179) Dec 20, 2016 Virginia
    Society

I agree! Sam Calagione once told me that I should not be so loyal to one beer style or brewery to the exclusion of others because I would miss out on some truly amazing indie craft beer. Of course, that means that I would drink some crappy indie craft beer, too, and I have, but I have also found some extremely rewarding brews in styles I might not have ever tried and some incredible breweries out there. That's what tasters and flights were made for! :grin: Also, music is like craft beer in that regard. I didn't like hip hop until I dropped my preconceived notions and began to sample what was out there. I ended up with an unexpectedly deeper appreciation and even Kickstarted the Smithsonian's Anthology of Hip Hop boxed set, which is due out in 2020. Sláinte!

10. officerbill

Society

I guess you didn't read my above post.
    I don't care if these guys are hip-hop stars or in a polka band, I'm taking about the type of beer their brewery will, apparently, feature; a strawberry banana milkshake IPA.

I'm not prejudging any particular beer, I'm talking about styles. I've had a wide enough variety to know which styles do and don't appeal to me; fruit flavored milkshake IPA is one of those styles, along with most beers with added fruit flavors, “milk”, nitro, or lots of hops. If their new brewery is going to target folks who enjoy those flavor profiles then I'm not part of their targeted demographic.

The BJCP recognizes 14 different beer style families and I would be very surprised to find anyone who enjoys beers from all of those families, let alone beers of each style within all of those families, and it would be presumptuous to tell you “drink Schlenkerla, listen to Kellerkommando..... repeat”

If they ever release any European style lagers, British or Belgian style ales, real fruit beers, or porters/stouts I'll be happy to give them a try.
    :beers:

tzieser likes this.
  11. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (807) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

gotta make money somehow...it's not music anymore....

beernuts likes this.
  12. Pasearelli

Trader

Dope!!!!! Always good to venture out with any type of flavor. Remember, your taste buds change and evolve as we taste more. Life flights!!!! Cheers

13. Pasearelli

Trader

Oh no, I read it. Still sounds like pre- judgement. Ive been drinking rauchbier, don't know what the hell that music is but if they play it at the beer garden you can check that off the list. Hope they do brew a variety of styles. Don't know what "14" beer style families I've drank from but I appreciate all for what they are.

stevepat and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  14. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Initiate (95) Aug 22, 2009 Rhode Island

im curious as to why fruit in a gose or lambic is okay with you, but fruit in another style of beer is not.

stevepat likes this.
  15. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Not who you're responding to but I'll throw my 2 cents in. In most cases, fruit added to clean fermented styles create flavors that I don't seek from that style. I have had some that sorta surprised me, but the vast majority of times I've tried a fruited version of a typically not fruited style that beer hasn't satisfied the craving for that style, and often they don't satisfy the craving for beer. So I don't think that fruit "doesn't belong" in styles outside of mixed ferm/wild ferment, but I do think they don't "work" for me in those styles

officerbill likes this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Really? There is at least one song I enjoy from every genre of music, and a beer I enjoy from every style. There are genres of both I prefer and indulge in more often, but I would expect most beer lovers are the same way. Weird.

17. officerbill

Society

Gose beers have little, of any, hop presence with the fruit complimenting the light bodied saltiness of the base beer.

Lambics are open fermented and bottle conditioned, with all of the associated funkiness, with little to no hop taste. Krieks are fermented with the cherries while the base beer for fruit lambics has been specially developed showcase the fruit flavors.

The fruit is an essential component of these beers and, to a great extent, define the styles. In most others, particularly IPA's, the addition of fruit flavors is intended to hide the taste of the base beer or disguise the fact that the beer isn't good enough to stand on its own.

If you haven't, I strongly urge you to pick up a bottle of Boon Oude Kriek (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47/5961/) or Kriek Cuvée René (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/42679/),Lindemans makes very accessible fruit lambics, and Anderson Valley has a line of very good gose.

18. officerbill

Society

Sure, maybe one or two. But I've had enough negative experiences with certain styles of beer and music that I'm not going to deliberately seek out examples of those styles, let alone spend my money on them.