Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Craft beer in 10 years

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shagtastic, Apr 17, 2012.

1. cavedave

Beer Trader

Trade your pint glass in for a four ounce tasting glass. And you can double your money pretty easily too. Fold it in half.

2. Providence

Here's my prediction, maybe not for the next 10 years, but for the future of craft in my lifetime:

The big 3 will slowly (or rapidly depending on your perception) absorb more craft breweries (like they did with Goose Island). For the "who cares who makes money on it, as long as it's good" crowd you're in luck, because the big three are going to keep you favorite recipes in tact (after all, they do want your money). For the "I don't want my money going to the big three no matter how good the beer is" crowd, you're porked.

Who won't by absorbed my the big three? Easy: the large craft guys now. Sam Adams, Stone, Sierra Nevada, DFH, etc. That core group will stay in tact and do well because they will get all of the money from the "I don't wan't my money going to the big three crowd" and they will get some of the money from the "as long as what's in the bottle tastes good.." crowd (because after all their beer still will taste great).

Every other brewery will either get bought out by the big three or will fold because they can't compete with the dominate large-craft breweries.

3. MacNCheese

Light beer has become to the current generation of youth what regular beer was just a few decades ago. In 1990, more Budweiser was sold than the top three light beers combined. Twenty years later, Budweiser has taken a backseat to Bud Light, which sold as much as the top four regular beers combined. The country has taken a major generational shift in favor of light beers, which now account for four of the five most popular beers sold domestically. As reported by St. Louis Today, Budweiser believes four out of 10 people in their mid-20s have never tried regular beer. In 1988, that rate was just 1.5 out of ten. Beer Marketer’s Insights editor Eric Shepard said when asked about young drinkers turning to light beer, “The heaviest beer drinkers are young males and that’s where the market had been going over the last decade or so.”

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/04/19/eight-products-facebook-generation-will-not-buy/#ixzz1sVEsDevM

I generally don't quote Fox, but this was interesting to see where the bulk of younger drinkers are headed.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe