Asia Craft beer in Manila or Cebu, Phillipines

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by mendezwr, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mendezwr

mendezwr Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2005 Delaware

Any craft in Phillipines? Will be in Manila and Cebu

2. sapporo777

sapporo777 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012

Pivo Praha (Brewery Restaurant) in Makati may be the best in Phlippines.

3. coyote711

coyote711 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2010 New York

4. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (470) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Sorry, I wish I had seen this earlier. I was in Manila for a few days back in March of this year and I managed to find a couple of places that offered bottled imports from Europe and the US. There's a place in Eastwood City called "Distillery" that serves stuff like Rochefort 10, Westmalle Tripel, and Duvel. I found another placed called Craft Pub and Grill at The Fort in Taguig that focuses on American craft beer (Stone, Ballast Point, Victory, etc). Unfortunately, I didn't find any local craft beer, but that's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I may not have dug deep enough.

ufmj and NoSignsOfPain like this.
  5. CraftBeerAsia

CraftBeerAsia Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Singapore

A new local craft brewer in Manila is Katipunan Craft Brewing. They make a decent "Indio Pale Ale". Also GPoint Bar in Malate & Tagaytay is brewing and have three or four varieties on tap only. There is an organic craft brewery in Bacolod known as BogsBrew who brews an interesting ale using hints of lemongrass and local organic sugarcane and honey. It's available in a few places in Manila including Bob's Cafe and PenPen's in CubaoX. Cheers!

grilledsquid and ufmj like this.
  6. beepill

beepill Aspirant (243) Nov 28, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

wow, i wish i knew about this i went there last october. thanks for the info. i will keep this in mind next time i go to the phils.

7. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Good to know. I'll be back in Philippines in August if anyone wants to check out some beer. BM me.

Mrskjax likes this.
  8. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

Going to be in Pasay for three weeks. any other BAs in the area or updates on craft availability?

9. Brewlocks

Brewlocks Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Thailand

Will be flying in on March 3rd, and staying in Manila for a week. If any local(ly aware) people would like to show me around a bit would be sweet!

10. beerismywater

beerismywater Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Philippines

11. Mrskjax

Mrskjax Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

going there in end of June and beginning of July. Would like to try some local stouts. That Singlespeed looks good. trying to find a way to bring in some ZD's to share. :p

12. HopSavant

HopSavant Disciple (301) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Bringing in ZD shouldn't be a problem--just make sure it's securely wrapped to avoid breakage/leakage.

PM me with any questions.

13. Ozwald99

Ozwald99 Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2015

In Manila you can try the Perfect Pint in the Fort that has a selection of locally brewed craft beers; also just opened is the Palace Pool Club that has its own in-house brewery.

CraftBeerAsia likes this.
  14. CraftBeerAsia

There is a lot happening in The Philippines and not just in Manila. Check out my updated directory for The Philippines Craft Beer Scene: http://craftbeerasia.com/philippines/ Cheers!

15. CraftBeerAsia

Six Hot Spots in Manila for Craft Beer: http://manila.craftbeer.asia

Redrover likes this.
  16. patmoore

patmoore Initiate (152) Sep 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thanks craft beer asia! I'll be in makati city in january. Hope to bring a few of my local favorites to share!

17. patmoore

Beer Trader

I'll be in manila until the 2nd of feb, if anyone is up for a bottle share, I'm bringing some of my favorites!

18. beepill

beepill Aspirant (243) Nov 28, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

Haven't visited this thread in a while... doesn't look like much action.
    So over the past year, I've seen (mainly on instagram) a growth of craft beer in Manila. I haven't visited since Oct 2012, and did not get much craft beer that time, except the overpriced Pivo Praha at the Marriott by the airport. I will be travelling to the Manila area this coming November, and was wondering if anyone has tried any of the new craft beers there. Any thoughts on the new craft beer scene/players? I already have an idea of where to go to find some craft, but any suggestions on places and beers would be much appreciated.
    Also, if anyone is down for some bottle shares, I have a bunch of cellared/aged beers from California, Washington, and Vancouver. PM me or find me on untappd (same username).

19. HopSavant

Beer Trader

The craft beer scene in Manila has grown exponentially in the last two years with a lot of new breweries popping up all over. I would say the two major players are Cebruery and Turning Wheels (both based in Cebu), based on both quality and offerings. Cebruery has been the most experimental, offering many styles--Goses, Berliners, Stouts, Porters, Tripels, Dubbels, etc. They recently release some anniversary beers, including a bourbon and rum BA Old Ales, and a lambic in beautiful hand-waxed bottles; these were brewed in the traditional Eisbock style.. I haven't tried any of mine yet, however, so I cannot comment on how good they are; but I have heard good things.! Turning Wheels puts out a decent lineup of IPAs/DIPAs and a really solid stout. Another mentionable, smaller operation is Crows Craft Brewing (based in Manila).

The Bottle Shop (aka The Global Beer Exchange) is the best restaurant/retailer to try a large variety of local craft beers. There are 3 locations: Magallanes, The Fort (Bonifacio Global City), and Santa Rosa. They offer a huge selection of local bottles and drafts. They also offer some California staples from Stone, Rogue, and Anderson Valley. The owner is a really cool guy and he's super passionate about the craft scene. Another place to check out is The Perfect Pint in The Fort (Bonifacio Global City), or their newer location in Alabang. You can find a different selection here because they offer some of their in-house beers (home brews), which is exclusive to each location. A Buffalo Wild Wings just opened in Bonifacio Global City (in the new Uptown Mall) which also has a nice selection of local beers on draft. They also have Weihenstephaner taps--Original, Vitus, and Hefe! A new place called the Tap Station just opened up in the Burgos Circle area (also in BGC) and appears they have 25 taps. I have not yet visited yet though.

Overall, you can find some solid local offerings. Pretty much anywhere you go, it's likely going to be a bit pricier than what you're accustomed to paying--so be prepared for that.

Some of my favorites to date:

Cebruery - Up Yours DIPA, Guru 2.0, There She Goes, Sour Girl, Chocolate Hills Breakfast Porter
    Turning Wheels - Mountain King IPA, Singlespeed, Turning Point, Backbone
    Crows Brewing - Mala Hierba, De Puta Madre
    Craftpoint - Liberation Revolutionary Pale Ale

If I am around when you visit in November, I'd be down for a bottle share. I always bring some bottles back to Manila with me for sharing purposes. I'd like to think that I am the first person in this country to share BCBCS, BCBBW, DFH 120, Bomb!, Hopslam, Trillium, Lost Abbey and Kuhnhenn offerings, along with many others (someone previously beat me to a Heady sharing); I should be in the history books. Haha.

I'll look you up on Untappd. PM me with any questions!

Cheers!

20. patmoore

Beer Trader

Ill be in manila at the end of august, id love to set up a bottle share if anyone is interested!

21. HopSavant

Beer Trader

@beepill @patmoore

Unfortunately, I'll be permanently leaving the Phils next Friday. Wish I could've had a share with you guys. Consider linking up with my friend @alco. Did many a shares with him over the last couple years.

Enjoy your time and keep your eyes peeled for Cebruery's new Mango Gose, which is brewed with over 100kg of fresh mango. Hoping to snag one before I leave.

Cheers!

22. alco

alco Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Philippines

Hey guys

HopSavant has pretty much laid out the recent craft beer scene here in the Philippines. If anyone is in town, shoot me a pm or add me on untappd as well. A few places I know won't mind doing bottle shares at their place.

23. Momon

Momon Disciple (348) Sep 3, 2015 Philippines

@beepill

Check out the facebook page of the Philippine Craft Beer Community. You'll find the latest news about the craft beer scene in PH.

24. cmv131

cmv131 Initiate (123) Mar 2, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Ill be staying at the Ascot in BGC next month so I am looking forward to trying some of these suggestions out.

Last time I was in Manila we stayed in Makati, so I only got over to BGC for an afternoon (remember hitting Skinny Mikes for some playoff football, Perfect Pint, Palace and Big Bad Wolf). Makati was like any other city with crowded streets and shops / restaurants / malls everywhere. BGC seemed a little more quiet and deserted (though I know construction was rampant to build it up).

How safe is BGC for American's wandering around after dark (since sunset is 530-600 and I have to work all day!)?

25. HopSavant

Beer Trader

I moved from BGC this past August. BGC was clean and very safe when I was there--never had an issue whatsoever, and there were many times I was out late into the evening. Hasn't turned into a war zone since I left, has it @alco ? I imagine it's only benefitting from my departure!

There are some areas in Makati that are a little seedier, like Burgos area (not to be confused with Burgos Circle, BGC) albeit I never had any issue there either.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.