Latin America Craft Beer - Venezuela?

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by Jack_Around, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Jack_Around

Jack_Around Aug 2, 2013 Texas

I travel throughout Central and South America, always looking for any craft beer options. Anything in Venezuela? All I can find are a couple of generic Vienna Lager style breweries like you find everywhere else.

2. Jack_Around

Muchisimas gracias, amigo! I'll see what I can find while I'm down there.

3. Jack_Around

Looks like those are all in Caracas though, and I'll be in Maracaibo. I asked several breweries on Twitter and it doesn't sound like they distribute outside the capital.

4. flying_dutchman

flying_dutchman Oct 15, 2013 Ecuador

I took a look around the net and it seems there aren't any craft breweries in Maracaibo, at least not that I can find. The only brewery I found there only makes draught, pilsen and light the basic varieties you can find in any supermarket in the world... Maybe one of the breweries would be able to mail you some bottles when you are there?

Flying_Dutchman

5. Jack_Around

Looks like I may have a night in Caracas. Do you know any bars where I can try these craft beers, or bottle shops where I can purchase some to bring home?

6. flying_dutchman

flying_dutchman Oct 15, 2013 Ecuador

7. Jack_Around

I appreciate your help. Got back this past Friday. But get this, I used Twitter to track down some of the brewers and find out where their beers were sold, tried two locations with no luck. Communicated my results, and the brewer from Norte del Sur actually came by my hotel the night before I left to drop off a bottle of his coffee stout. Looking forward to trying it! Made it back safely.

8. Jack_Around

Finally cracked open the Coffee Stout with a couple of friends in Houston. I tried to compile a resource of information on craft beer in Venezuela:
    http://jackaround.net/2014/08/birra-cooltura/

They recently had their first "Zulia Fest" and it appears the craft beer community is thriving down there, though facing an uphill climb.

TheBeerTrekker likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe