Craft beers you see your macro beer drinking friends drinking?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jul 11, 2018.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (272) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I'm talking about your friends who do not care about beer and reach for a BMC almost every time.

I have seen a lot of people drinking Green Zebra by Founders this Summer and posting about it on Facebook. I've gotten a few messages from people asking me for similar beers.

I guess the gose is an accessible style?

dshatel and dcotom like this.
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,278) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

All depends on the marketing.

3. whiskey

whiskey Disciple (310) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Trader

I have two good buddies that will drink IPA's, DIPA's, sours, big stouts etc...they'll go beer for beer with me and they comment on beers they really like.

But if it's just the two of them? They'll choose Coors Light every time. I don't get it.

4. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Sure was for my wife. She is way into goses, browns, and sours. But she is a recovering white wine drinker, so two of those styles make sense. On a side note, this year's Green Zebra is a little more sweet and balanced than 2017's. I am fairly sure they tweaked the recipe.

5. cmiller4642

I've honestly never tried GZ. I don't know why because I'm a gose fan. I just prefer Victory Kirsch as my go to.

rudiecantfail and Dan411 like this.
  6. Dan411

Worth a try for sure. The watermelon works in that beer in my opinion. Like a said, it's a little sweeter this year, but you won't know the difference.

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (870) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Not sure why this thread reminds me of this, but I live out in the country and I jog on the side of the roads. I used to see just BMC bottles discarded along my route. Now I see Lagunitas and Flying Dog and stuff like that. Waiting to see a KBS or BCBS or something. That'd be a trip.

8. cmiller4642

I could be wrong, but I really do not ever see your every day beer drinker reaching for a huge barrel aged Imperial Stout.

I think they will try IPA's out of the novelty of them, but a stout/quad is way too much for just a casual tasting.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  9. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (185) Nov 10, 2015 New York

A lot of my Macro drinking friends like the hazy, New England Juice bomb IPA's. Probably because they're like juice lol. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hell out of those too, but I see those as a reason why more and more people are getting into "craft".

For example, last year my buddy had a mixed case of Other Half beers, and all my budlight/heinken light drinking friends loved the Other Half IPA's. At first I was shocked, then realized it's cause there is barely any bitterness whatsoever.

DJturnstile, PatrickCT and RobNewton like this.
  10. Dan411

I work in a college town and take a morning walk every day. There is a campus and student housing all around the office. The "craziest" bottle I have seen was a bottle of Sierra Nevada. The dilly dilly is big, as well as Michelob Ultra. I see tons of that. The college kids love that stuff.

RaulMondesi and brutalfarce like this.
  11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (429) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I see the standard crap on my walking route through ODU on the weekends, and occasionally I'll see local brew discards like O Connor and Smartmouth and smile. Then I realize its all litter and get pissed off again.

Once I came across a Bruery bottle (8 Maids a Milking I think) and I seriously wanted to knock on his/her door and ask to be friends.

Dan411, dcotom, Ranbot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,207) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

My trivia mates will try something other than Coors Light when there's a mini tour going on at the Old Chicago AND the prize is something that they'd care to acquire. Only then. Unless I order something and say "man, that's good". They might give it a shot then.

Funny ...Casper was out of draught Coors Light for over a week! Scramble scramble, take that gamble!! :wink:

Oh, what I've seen them drink?(try)

New Belgium Bicycle Kick, Upslope Craft Lager, Sam '76.

#12 Bitterbill, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I see it all the time if someone else is paying!

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,505) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

It's either that or they'll start with a Boston Lager or a porter or something like that, and then say it's too "heavy" to keep drinking all night, before switching to something 'lite'.

brutalfarce and dennis3951 like this.
  15. zid

zid Savant (918) Feb 15, 2010 New York

There's a time and a place for everything.

dcotom and rozzom like this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,107) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

They're humoring you, or you're buying - or both.

17. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (86) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

I got bmc drinking coworker to drink whatever I was drinking on a work trip. Now since he's been back he won't get off the Melvin 2x4 and rotating ipas. It's nice to see people find love.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  18. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (799) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Spotted Cow. Everyone in WI drinks it. Craft beer lovers and BMC drinkers alike.

mtgwi, thebeers and dcotom like this.
  19. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I find many non-craft drinkers really like Victory Golden Monkey.

This being Pennsylvania, there's a lot of Yuengling about, which is craft according to the Brewer's Association, if you ascribe to their definition...

I think this is fairly common. I have a buddy who stocks his fridge with lots of great IPAs, stouts, and Miller Lite. He usually starts an evening with a few craft beers, then switches to Miller Lite. Sometimes it's just Miller Lite depending the company or his mood. The average person doesn't care enough to be dedicated to craft beer like people on this forum, but they can still enjoy craft beer from time to time.

rudiecantfail and Lahey like this.
  20. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,608) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I have a friend who is a big bud lite drinker, he helped demo my in laws place after the Harvey flood so we gave him a beer club membership. I have been gradually breaking him in, but he is always down for a good pilsner. When it comes to IPA's he isn't quite there for the west coast style. What he will drink is Sumpin Easy, he loves that beer. He will also drink his weight in Shiners Sea Salt and Lime.

Realsambo likes this.
  21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,033) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

My macro drinking friends will at least try whatever they find in my fridge.

22. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (456) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

I run along one of the roads that goes to the dump and there's a bunch of misc crap but mostly all are high gravity 32oz cans, weird flavored bud-a-ritas and repulsive stuff like that. This is a pretty rural area...

The people that say Guiness is to heavy crack me up!

Dan411, meefmoff, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  23. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,278) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

The majority of people on the planet always associated dark beer as being high ABV/heavy. Edjucate them!

Lahey likes this.
  24. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Founders has seemed to make its way into mainstream beer consumption due to the affordable 15 packs, I would assume

25. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yeah, I'd say solid gold is probably a big one for converting lite beer drinkers. People I know that tried craft and like it usually try lighter, fruity ipas. (NE style or not) My dad tried Black butte xxix and liked it, but he still drinks bud lite. Probably just an anomaly there.

26. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (8,385) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

My brother-in-law goes through 36 packs of Natty Light like it's water. However, when I visit we go to the local brewery and he fills a growler with their IPA.

nc41 and Ranbot like this.
  27. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Savant (901) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

On vacation in Charlotte, I gave my non craft drinking buddy a Citrus Jammer and he liked it so well he went out the next day and got his own sixpack. Gose, when not overly tart, are a good choice for the hot summer months. They're not bitter, there fairly light in body, and the extra salinity is good for those days when your sweating by the pool or in your backyard.

dcotom and Realsambo like this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,002) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Blue Moon and Shock Top Belgian White.

29. whiskey

whiskey Disciple (310) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Trader

I have to fight them to pay. I'm fortunate to have generous friends.

On the suggestion that they're humoring me, I'm definitely not that cool.

bbtkd likes this.
  30. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (128) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Around me, it’s gotta be Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. It’s been around here for 30 years, and it’s pretty much a standard. Even in your sketchiest spots, you’ll have your 3 or so BMC handles, then there’s a 90% chance Dortmunder will always take one of the taps. If not draft, they’ve got bottles of it. A lotta devoted fans out there for it.

31. boddhitree

boddhitree Zealot (512) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I think you just explained why BMC drinkers prefer those beers, because they're basically water with a little alcohol and beer flavored chemicals tossed in. It's more about thirst than flavor.

32. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (32) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Most of the the macro beer fans I know who drink usually enjoy Blue Moon thinking it’s real craft, but they also seem to wax poetic about Sam Adams.

The closest thing to craft they enjoy consistently is Harpoon.

33. Ahonky

I'm not talking about Solid Gold. That one hasn't really resonated, from my observations here in NY. I am talking about All Day being absolutely EVERYWHERE.

I also do not believe that Solid Gold is a good gateway beer for "non-craft" beer drinkers. Founders ha simply lowered their standards, IMO. This very much differs from my initial response to that beer, which was positive - but having them since, and trying them side by side with Budweiser and Miller, I don't really see an added value.

Lahey likes this.
  34. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

That's a fair assessment. I don't drink much lager, I assumed solid gold was doing well because I see it in a lot of stores. I do see all day on more tap handles though (and probably more stores) I prefer all day of the two by far.

35. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I've noticed in the last few years macro drinkers drinking Octoberfests when they come out,

Lahey likes this.
  36. cmiller4642

Oktoberfests are my favorite style after IPA's and Stouts. They're so tasty and easy to drink, and they go perfect with football IMO.

dennis3951 likes this.
  37. Ahonky

Actually, I have seen Heady Topper pop up quite a bit among crowds of people you would otherwise expect to drink Stella/Blue Moon etc.

38. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (456) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

No you haven't

39. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,301) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

I ran into a late middle aged lady in a focal banger t shirt today on a trail in Nova Scotia.

40. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,301) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Also I once found an empty Lawson's sip of sunshine (and this was two or three years ago) in a port a potty at an NFL game.

To answer the op question endless leinenkugel summer shandy. We had a huge party last summer and my wife insisted we get a keg and I fought her on it but eventually relented (surprising, I know). It kicked astonishingly quickly.