Craft Haters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

More for me to drink. But more for some to hoard :slight_frown:

Plonk likes this.
  2. Nectar

Nectar Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey

That counter argument doesnt make sense either. A strawberry, in all reality, is a strawberry. The difference between a Nugget Nectar and a miller lite is different than a berry vs the organic version of said berry.

Cvescalante likes this.
  3. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Some people just enjoy the finer things in life

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yup, this thread is going just about how I thought it would.

Plonk, BDEE, Kopfschuss and 6 others like this.
  5. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Florida

Honestly I could care less if they like it or not, I just don't understand the disdain and constant ribbing after asking me to try one of my beers, especially when its from people who drink beer like they are trying to qualify for BeerFest...

6. incapacitant

incapacitant Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

I truly and deeply hate the word "craft." It makes me think of knitting and basket weaving. Just call it beer. Don't let the suckers win.

7. brikelly

brikelly Pundit (781) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts

Ever had those Double Imperial Strawberries? I prefer the east coast types over the west coast ones, but you've gotta eat them SUPER FRESH. I just roam into fields and stick my mouth right on the plants. Plus anyone who disagrees with me is wrong

davey101, pjs234, beerme411 and 12 others like this.
  8. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

This is a frequent event when the barn doors are open, if you catch my drift...

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

I hate beer snobs. Beer geeks are just knowledgeable friendly folk who can tell you interesting stuff about beer and will gladly help you out if you have questions. Snobs just want to rub it in your face that they are better then you will ever be unless you blindly agree with them. Most people don't hate craft they just are happy with what they have, don't care, prefer wine or liquor, or have tried some but didn't see the big deal.

We should just be friendly and realize not everyone likes what we like and that's okay. unless they slap your craft beer out of your hand and tell you stella is greater then your beer, that's not cool and neither is slapping their stella and telling them your heady topper beats all.

Plonk, bharlan51, Errto and 8 others like this.
  10. mellowmark

mellowmark Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2010 Utah

I call "craft beer" "beer" and the other stuff "monkey urine". Why should we let "monkey urine" take the word "beer" hostage?

brewsader and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Indiana

The only people I introduce to my beer supply is my family. (That are not craft beer drinkers)I strike out most the time but I did introduce them to schlafly pumpkin ale and it was a win. My brother actually bought a sixer and then my sister went on the hunt for it also!

12. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

This is what you get for having an opinion on BA and attempting to use an analogy. I hope you have learned the error of your ways.

13. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

I've never really run into this problem here. But most people in CO are open to craft.

Hey if they don't like it, then it's more for the rest of us. I wouldn't be one to try and force someone to enjoy craft beer, if they don't like it, then so be it.

14. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

I think the beer revolution is coming, it's only a matter of time. In the meantime we as beer "soldiers" need to remain vigilant. Support your local craft pubs. Guide those who are new to craft beer in the right ( and therefore delicious ) direction. Whenever possible drink only craft beer ( I am actually boycotting all bmc beer at the moment).

15. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Most people I know that hate craft beer just hate beer in general. The others that do drink beer prefer to drink 12-24 beers in an afternoon at the lake or by the pool and they simply can't do that with most craft beer. Too expensive, too much alcohol, too many calories, and believe it or not, too much flavor!

16. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Proselytizing tends to turn most people off.

17. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York

where does the assumption that "conversion" means a forceful attempt to "break" someone into being a craft beer lover come from? i know most of us wouldn't have gotten into this stuff if someone hadn't showed us at some point, and wanting to give that experience to our friends is good beer karma, not a rude and closed-minded gesture.

and to the OP: "craft hate" is a real thing. i get plenty of people who walk into my bar and shit-talk us because they see a wall of taps and no corporate american light lagers. 100% of these people do so before even looking at a menu, let alone trying anything, and i'd estimate 95-98% of these people end up finding something that they really enjoy, whether it be a pilsner or a lambic. the "let people drink what they like" argument is really doing a lot of people a disservice, because if someone let me drink "what i liked," i'd be missing out on all the fun.

Errto, jgluck, Qwest_35 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

Are you boycotting BMC brands or all beers that are part of the BMC distribution network(s)?

19. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

I converted a few buddies to higher ABV craft beers. Now they are raging alcoholics with weight problems. They wait in long lines overnight for the next special release and talk about the superiority of certain hops varieties and argue about how long IPA's stay fresh.

They have lost their jobs, their families and their sense of fashion.

20. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

The brands mostly. But I'm not gonna lie, Im not too happy about them buying up smaller breweries. I am opposed to monopolies in general!

highdesertdrinker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.