Craft Lagers, which ones are the Standouts in 2018?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djkman, Jun 8, 2018.

1. djkman

djkman Aspirant (245) Jun 18, 2012 New Jersey

Craft lagers.......Not Pilsners...Lagers. Not IPAs, not Porters, not stouts not Pilsners. Not Ales. Lagers.
    Filtered, bright yellow. Crisp. Gotta seriously control the temp as explained to me by Alementary Hackensack NJ.... their Hackensack Lager. Good stuff IMHopinion.
    For 2018,
    Founders really making a push. Night Shift making noise.
    My local favorite Alementary always making their Hackensack lager here in NJ.

So, Your Lager craft go to. local or big craft. What is yours?

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,648) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Pilsners are lagers. What have you got against Craft Brewers who make Pils beers?

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,450) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

By lager do you mean American adjunct lager?

HorseheadsHophead and TongoRad like this.
  4. djkman

djkman Aspirant (245) Jun 18, 2012 New Jersey

To clarify :
    Lager beers tend to have a cleaner and crisp flavor than Ale beers. Pilsner is a type of lager that has originated in Czech Republic. ... When it comes to Pilsner versus Lager, you need to remember that Pilsner is a just a type of Lager, but a bit lighter in color and with a strong spicy flavor.

So yes ... your craft substitute of, let us say, the standard Budweiser lager.

spersichilli likes this.
  5. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,226) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Head over to @augiecarton 's place and pick up This Town and Sit Down Son.

RobHB, Mrstiffington and Harrison8 like this.
  6. cryptichead

cryptichead Savant (946) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Really enjoyed Firestone Walker Lager. Sierra Nevada BFD was really nice too. And Founders Solid Gold was very.... solid

drtth, Smoky54 and Dan411 like this.
  7. FBarber

Premium Trader

When it comes to craft AALs I've yet to find one that I like better than the "classics" such as Hamms, Miller High Life, or Strohs. That being said Sierraveza was quite good.
    FW lager is a Munich helles lager - I enjoyed it thoroughly. SN BFD is an ale.

JackHorzempa, jesskidden and TongoRad like this.
  8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,031) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Well, 2018 is far from over and who knows what the next six months will bring. So far I agree Alementary Hackensack Lager is a good example of what's available in Lagers generally.

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

But Alementary Hackensack Lager is an all malt beer very much in the Munich Helles style.

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I will go with Alementary Hackensack Lager as the best new lager this year.

11. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (478) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've been drinking Victory Home Grown Lager recently. Very good. Tasty and drinkable.

12. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (83) Mar 10, 2018 New York

What about American lagers that do not use adjuncts ? The craft-brewing movement was all about British-style ales, and German-style lagers w/o adjuncts, when it began, wasn't it ? Why does it seem that craft brewers now have the need to use adjuncts to make a lager ?

mikeinportc likes this.
  13. JoePasko

Keller Lager from Zero Gravity Brewing, in VT. That's one I buy frequently.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,459) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

15. zid

zid Savant (917) Feb 15, 2010 New York

This thread isn’t going to confuse anyone. :wink:

16. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (432) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Six Point's Alpenflo.

BayAreaJoe, eppCOS, dangle47 and 8 others like this.
  17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Maybe the best example of a Munich Helles that I have had from an American Creaft Brewery was at SN Mills River yesterday. It was outstanding, the only knock on it was that it was served too cold.

vurt, TongoRad, steveh and 1 other person like this.
  18. JoePasko

Anecdotal sidenote: last summer there was a Coors billboard along I-90 in Albany that read: "Cold-Lagered For A Crisp Taste". All lagers are cold-lagered for a crisp taste; isn't that pretty much what makes a lager a lager, in the first place ? Was Coors angling for affirmed ale-drinkers, or simply pointing out that there's nothing special about their lager ?

19. TongoRad

Premium Trader

I don't know if it fits this thread or not, but that's a nice goddamn beer!

djkman, mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  20. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,104) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Well, I would argue (with Coors) that crisp isn't a flavor, it's a mouthfeel. And not all lagers are crisp. Even a lighter Helles is more smooth and soft than a "crisp" Pilsner -- and moving to a Doppelbock takes us into a whole different dimension.

GetMeAnIPA, Dan411, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  21. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (230) Mar 28, 2011 New York

What SN beer is this, something draft only? I'd love to try a SN Helles.

22. Squire

Premium Trader

I would make a list but it would be subject to change. Suffice to say my interest is in the next one I try and there are a lot of them out there all across the Country.

mikeinportc likes this.
  23. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (866) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I came here to say these two things.

24. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (743) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Was it a house one off? What was it called?

Mills River has some stuff on from time to time that seem like test beers or something of that nature that are nice surprises.

Isn’t that place great?!

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

They your cold filtering as something special as well. From my understanding you can not filter warm beer as it will turn into a foamy mess.

TongoRad likes this.
  26. runbirddrinkbeer

runbirddrinkbeer Initiate (150) Oct 24, 2009 Florida

Kinda what set us apart from the Continental lagers was use of adjuncts, good or bad. I actually don't dislike the adjunct lagers; they have their place, summertime, lawn mowing, etc. The Europeans also rarely utilize six-row barley that was a staple of brewing here(and still is used).

For a good malt only, adjunct free lager I recently had Standard Lager from Fulton in Minnesota.

27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,711) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

utopiajane and FBarber like this.
  28. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (184) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I'll add Nowhere But Texas from Legal Draft Beer Company in Arlington TX.

I also really liked the Sierraveza from SN.

FBarber likes this.
  29. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,343) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

But far and away the best selling beer labeled "Lager" from a "craft brewer" (Brewers Association definition) is Yuengling Traditional Lager, which is also labeled Original Amber Lager...
    [​IMG]
    After Yuengling, among the next best selling craft lagers are Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Shiner Bock - neither what most would consider "yellow", either.

Confusion started the thread... :rolling_eyes:

MillerCoors uses the term "Cold Filtered" to describe their micro-filter/sterile fill method they (Coors, anyway) helped pioneer as an alternative to tunnel pasteurization of bottled/canned beer - what they call, redundantly, "heat pasteurization".

Depending on the brand, MillerCoors beers may be heat-pasteurized or cold-filtered and sterile-filled. Heat pasteurization involves slowly warming the beer to 140 degrees, then cooling it to room temperature to eliminate impurities. Our cold-filter and sterile-fill processes use cold storage and a series of filtration steps to prevent any potential compromises in beer flavor and quality.
    --- HOW WE BREW - PACKAGING

Pre-merger, Miller had even trademarked the term in the late '80s when they released Miller Genuine Draft.

#29 jesskidden, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  30. FBarber

Premium Trader

I don't really understand your first question?
    The second question was rather beat to death in that thread about Night Shift NiteLite and the subsequent Is Craft Beer Losing its Direction and An Observation on AAL threads. Personally I don't see any inherent issue with brewing with adjuncts especially when making a AAL style lager - but thats just me.

#30 FBarber, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  31. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

I did not know it was a replacement for pasteurization, good to know. Either way, filtering warm beer in place of fining agents or as a form of sanitation, filtering warm beer makes a mess.

32. JoePasko

The OP states "craft lager" . To me, that term does not mean exclusively adjunct lager. If craft brewers choose to dabble in AAL, that's fine.. but I hope not at the expense of brewing the other types of lager that got us interested in craft beer in the first place. The original mission was not to brew "better Budweiser", but to offer alternatives that were not on the American market at the time. But I digress.

mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  33. FBarber

Premium Trader

Can we agree the OPs original post (and follow up post) was rather confusing with some very convoluted distinctions and definitions? I was just trying to understand what he was asking exactly since I didn't understand the original question ...
    Following up on my post questioning what he meant, he then clarified what he meant by "craft lagers" by saying:
    I completely agree with you that the term "craft lager" in general parlance means much more than an AAL ... hell, it should include craft pilsners (which OP specifically excluded from what he was asking :thinking_face:). We can hijack the thread and talk about all the great non-AAL craft lagers this year (shoutout @Sixpoint Alpenflo, FW Lager, Great Central (Chicago brewery turning out some great German styles) lager and pilsner, and so on ...) but I was trying to tailor my response to what OP was asking. :slight_smile:

beergoot, MNAle, steveh and 4 others like this.
  34. TongoRad

Premium Trader

But more importantly, it shouldn't exclude AALs, either. If ever there was a style that needed improvement...

Plus, it was homebrewers who revived the CAP and other proto-AAL substyles. It's only natural that we're starting to get some commercial examples.

There's no bad style, only poor execution.

RobHB, mikeinportc, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  35. Squire

Premium Trader

There are so many it would be a lot easier for me to list the few I didn't really care for.

36. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,923) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

Yes, we can.
    Sometimes. I have had pilsners that are darker than adjunct lagers and vice versa.
    Not always. Pilsner Urquell and other pilsner-style beers like Světlý Ležák have a very soft and rounded bitterness to me.
    I'm patiently waiting for someone to nominate a Kölsch or Altbier just to muddy the waters even more.

vurt, mikeinportc, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  37. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (486) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Some of my favorite local lagers:
    Left Hand Polestar Pilsner
    Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils
    Crooked Stave Von Pilsner

I realize these are all billed as Pilsners, but none are spicy and they are all pretty enjoyable to drink.

Bierstadt Slow-Pour Pilsner is one I haven't tried yet, but want to.

mikeinportc and Bitterbill like this.
  38. FBarber

Premium Trader

I had a really good craft black lager recently (very akin to a Černý ležák) but I refrained from mentioning it :stuck_out_tongue:

mikeinportc likes this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,201) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Upslope Craft Lager and Longball Craft Lager from Wichita float my boat.

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,711) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I would be interested in hearing about it. Communicate via PM if you don't feel comfortable discussing it in this thread.

There are no craft brewed Czech Dark Lagers in my area (that I know about). It would be interesting to learn about your experience here.

Cheers!