Creature Comforts is coming to LA

Discussion in 'US - West' started by FrogOut69, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Looks like Joe Russo has invested in Creature Comforts and they are building a new brewery in LA. Glad to have more options in downtown, but I wish this was closer to HPB and (future) Homage.

https://beerstreetjournal.com/creature-comforts-los-angeles-brewery/

Address is the same as Rossoblu for those wondering where exactly this will be located.

310gts and mhucker28 like this.
  2. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (147) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve tried from Creature ComfortS in the past and will likely buy their product from time to time and maybe visit the brewery 1-2 times a year...but this move seems like it’s 5 years too late. At this point, LA is saturated with breweries. I wish them the best and hope this only adds a positive effect to the dtla beer scene.

jrnyc, Frosty11161, kdub15 and 5 others like this.
  3. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (221) Jul 29, 2016 California

I've enjoyed what I've tried from Creature Comforts a lot more than a whole lot of LA breweries. If we're gonna have a bunch of Boomtowns and Frogtowns around, I'll gladly take some Creature Comforts.

kdub15, Ponzu4u, 310gts and 2 others like this.
  4. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (200) Aug 30, 2007 Oregon

Hoping they were taking over Iron Triangle spot.

m34josh likes this.
  5. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I don't know if I'd use the term saturated to describe the scene here in LA. Even if you're counting breweries that aren't just in downtown, it's more like there's a handful of good breweries and then a lot of crap - but it never comes close to approaching saturated. I think they'll be a great addition to the DTLA beer scene and I'll be adding them to my HPB/MT/(Future Homage) rotation.

6. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (209) May 1, 2010 California

A very weird time to expand into a new market across country.

jrnyc, Frosty11161, traction and 8 others like this.
  7. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (147) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I agree that there are only a handful of good breweries. The reason I used the word saturated is because I keep hearing about places like Arts District Brewing, Indie Brewing Co, Angel City, Frogtown, Boomtown, Dry River and others that I’ve never even gotten around to trying that seem to have a loyal following.

Here on BA, we fawn over ourselves over places like HPB and Modern Times like they’re the only game in town. I’m guessing Creature Comforts will likely fall into this category but if this was 5 years ago they’d easily have been the best brewery in dtla.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  8. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Initiate (83) Sep 9, 2012 California
    Trader

Been years since I’ve had Athena and fresh Tropicália.

9. pro100

pro100 Initiate (112) Oct 12, 2014 California

So they don't have a taproom in Atlanta but they're coming to LA instead? That's strange also odd timing with Covid-19 still not heading out anytime soon. I'll definitely stop by if everything is green light and good to go

MonkeyBread likes this.
  10. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (358) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Wasn't there some controversy involving CC a few years back?

11. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

There really wasn't.

traction, FrogOut69 and pinballplayer like this.
  12. camcjohnson

camcjohnson Initiate (56) Nov 27, 2015 California

As someone who graduated from The University of Georgia and lived in Athens when they opened but now resides in Los Angeles, this is about as good of news as I could have gotten this year. I could not be more excited.

mhucker28, Dka67 and FrogOut69 like this.
  13. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (203) Jun 10, 2008 California

I also lived in Georgia when Creature Comforts opened and they're on a whole different tier than any other brewery in the south. If they wanted, they could probably make a run at national distribution, although I can't imagine why any brewery would want to do that in the current stage of craft beer unless they're cashing out and letting the brand die. In Athens, they were very focused toward historic preservation and community building. I'm looking forward to what they do with their space at City Market South and some money.

14. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 California

If they were to come out in a package deal with ATL's Monday Night Brewing/Garage and Wrecking Bar BrewPub, I wouldn't be mad at that.

15. PatKorn

Or Fox Bros.

16. Dka67

Dka67 Aspirant (291) Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Isn’t that area of Downtown closed up in the evening?

17. Xul

Xul Champion (856) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Gentrification has to start somewhere. 25 years ago, you wouldn't have wandered around 30th St in San Diego without a very specific purpose.

18. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (77) Jul 2, 2013 California

It's part of a whole new development in the Fashion District called City Market South (http://citymarketsouth.com).

Dka67 likes this.
  19. PatKorn

The good old days when you could watch a junky shoot up in Scolaris Office or get a hooker on ECB....

rodolito likes this.
  20. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Defender (616) Nov 6, 2007 California

Awesome brewery and will be a great addition to DTLA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.