Critique My NE Road Trip Itinerary!

Discussion in 'New England' started by kmbeer, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmbeer

kmbeer Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

Thank you all so much - this is exactly what I was hoping for. I will definitely add Earth Eagle to the list.

Re: HF -- I went back and forth about it a bunch and while I will probably regret not going, I just worry it will add to much time to the trip and will stress us out too much. And like you guys have said, there will be plenty of opportunity to drink it in Burlington and Waterbury. It'll be a good reason to go back soon.

Thanks again for all the help, and feel free to offer any additional suggestions. As you can imagine, I've been basically useless at work trying to figure out all the places to hit, but it's made the anticipation for the trip that much better. Really looking forward to it.

JakerLou likes this.
  2. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Pooh-Bah (2,062) Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I suggest getting to Bissel around 11:00 am to wait for the opening at noon.

kmbeer likes this.
  3. kmbeer

Thanks! Do you know what the limit is?

4. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

For Portsmouth skip Smutty, its out of the way.

Everything else looks great. If you have any questions regarding Portsmouth shoot me a message. I love our city and sharing it with folks.

Also for Black Birch you need to be prepared for a wait and possibly one on the 1 hour to hour and a half level. They do not take reservations or call ahead so its kinda a crap shoot. When you show up go in and wait at the entrance to put your name in with a nice gentleman with curly hair(Can't miss him) Then walk through the bar area and look for some seating in the back area near the brooms and kitchen. You can sit back there to wait and be out of the crowded doorway. They will most likely come over and offer you a beverage during your wait. when I was in Saturday night I had the choice of Epiphany, Substance, Lunch etc. It was glorious.

Food is the shit and you won't regret it.

kmbeer likes this.
  5. kmbeer

Great - thanks! Looking forward to.

6. kmbeer

dantonbrown likes this.
  7. BeerinBiddo

BeerinBiddo Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2013 Maine

While in NH, it's worth going a little out of your way to hit up Deciduous up in Newmarket.

Good call on Black Birch - great tap list, and you can't beat the food. Central Provisions vs. Fore St. - I'd go with Central every time, but YMMV.

Sneex and kmbeer like this.
  8. ricknelson

ricknelson Savant (1,031) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Also check out Three Penny Pub in Montpelier.

BranfordBound and kmbeer like this.
  9. Mikecap

Mikecap Pooh-Bah (2,062) May 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm so jealous - your husband is a lucky guy for you planning this trip of a lifetime.

Additional suggestion for Portland for lunch/dinner - Empire. Some of the best Chinese I've ever had. Order a few small plates and wash it down with some Substance on tap. And one of the mornings, make sure you stop by holy donut.

kmbeer likes this.
  10. kmbeer

Haha - I try to tell him that all the time! Usually doesn't work :slight_smile: Thanks for the recommendation - just checked out Empire's menu and it looks awesome. Will make sure I stop by Holy Donut as well.

11. BeerinBiddo

BeerinBiddo Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2013 Maine

Almost forgot - even if you're in Biddeford at a bad time for Banded Horn, it's worth driving into town to get lunch at the Palace Diner. Their Palace Royale is the best burger in the state, and their tuna melt will change your life :slight_smile:

kmbeer likes this.
  12. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Personally, I'm less of a hoppy beer freak and would be much much much happier spending the time bringing home two cases of Hill Farmstead Anna. They usually have a food truck there, Parker Pie is fantastic and has a great tap list, and Lost Nation is close enough with amazing food and drank. Plus, it's such a unique spot and you are traveling so far. Also, near Lost Nation in Morristown is an easy spot to pick up Heady.

Edit: Definitely go to Novare Res. Central Provisions rules. If you get a little beer fatigued, we had great cocktails at Portland Hunt + Alpine Club.

kmbeer likes this.
  13. Mikecap

Mikecap Pooh-Bah (2,062) May 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can't agree more on the HF recs. With the new tasting room open, it's even better than before. Full pours on the deck while you wait for your growlers is just about perfect. Also, the ramen food truck is top notch.

kmbeer likes this.
  14. pehodges

pehodges Devotee (395) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

Dorothy is not a saison.

15. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

didn't say it was. meant something different from the hoppy brews that are typically seen on tap in VT.

16. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

If you want to guarantee yourself some Heady, the Beverage Warehouse has a 10AM Tuesday drop. Line starts forming around 9:00 and you MUST be in line before 10 to get some. If you are in line, you WILL get some Heady. The closer you are to the front, the better your chance of getting a case. Just make sure you get to Penny Cluse early enough that you can get in line at the Bevy.

jmerizio and kmbeer like this.
  17. dubdrop

dubdrop Savant (1,027) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

I was in Portland a few months ago and my wife and I had an awesome breakfast here: http://baysideamericancafe.com/ It had been called Bintliff's, but according to the website, it's still the same owner. they just changed the name.

kmbeer likes this.
  18. pehodges

pehodges Devotee (395) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

Doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned that Nov 1-7 is Portland Beer Week.
    http://www.portlandbeerweek.org/
    Special events, bigger crowds (although the "Clustah" this weekend will keep a lot of out-of-staters from a repeat trip next weekend).
    RE: Hill Farmstead- from your beer preferences and brewery interests, looks like you'd be ok skipping the brewery and sampling the PAs/IPAs/DIPAs available on tap throughout the area. Only reason to visit would be if you were interested in their saisons (bottle or full-bottle pours in the tasting room) which typically don't go out on draft or if they put a special release out (sorry, no advance notice from HF until about Sunday, and they're only open Wed-Sat, so would mean major schedule juggling).

When hitting the liquor stores, remember to keep an eye out for beers distributed in VT/ME but not in NY.
    http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html
    Admittedly MA distribution is not as extensive as NY, but our trip past Hunger Mountain last weekend brought back Jester King, Crooked Stave and Prairie not found in MA. Since you may be hitting up Black Birch and Tributary, stop at the Kittery 7/11 (yes a 7/11, gas station and mind blowing bottle shop), and wherever you stop, experiment- maybe pick up a SoMe.

kmbeer and meefmoff like this.
  19. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, this is a great point. It can be easy to get overly focused on the handful of hyped heavy hitters and overlook the fact that there's plenty of very good, easily accessible stuff that you just don't hear quite so much about. If you came across, say Tribute or Idyltime or Limited Access in a place without the shadow of HT, Lawson's and HF you'd probably be quite pleased :slight_smile:

kmbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.