Crowlers vs Growlers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Do you prefer crowler fills or growler fills?

Poll closed Wednesday at 3:37 PM.
  1. Crowler Fills

64.7%
  2. Growler Fills

35.3%
  1. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (640) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

All things considered, what do you prefer? Interested to hear discussion on why you prefer one over the other. Cheers!

AMessenger, Tdizzle and Premo88 like this.
  2. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (658) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

I like the Crowler format 95% of the time, unless I know I have 4+ beer drinkers coming over to the house... just easier to plan to drink around 32 oz.

beergoot, Premo88, pro100 and 7 others like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm an actual environmentalist so it is a no brainer to choose the one made with less damage to the environment and that is reusable, i.e. growlers. P.S. by actual I mean I live the idea, don't just talk about it

ericwo, clake, surfcaster and 22 others like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (913) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Since growlers are usually 64 oz. and crowlers are usually 32, I voted growler. That said, I can't remember the last time that I got a growler filled. It's been a couple years, at least. Just don't have any breweries that I pass on the way home, but I do have beer stores.

5. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Disciple (320) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Easily crowlers. Can't actually remember the last growler I had filled. Most of the bars in the Tulsa area had growlers before crowlers so I drank growlers then. Most of my growlers have now been made to coin jars.

vabeerguy likes this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,454) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I have both 64 oz and 32 oz glass growlers and prefer growlers for two reasons.

1) Reusability
    2) I only need/use a growler when intending to either drink the two pints that same evening and/or when we are serving a beer from the larger size to guests that same evening or the next.

#6 drtth, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,368) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Comparing 32 oz to 32 oz, I'd have to say growlers are overall superior- they're reusable and resealable.

But I do like that crowlers are also available for mailing purposes or just convenience (many places now offer them pre-filled so you can just grab n go.)

jcruz_, bubseymour, beergoot and 10 others like this.
  8. MNAle

MNAle Savant (955) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

That's a lot of coins! :astonished:

cavedave likes this.
  9. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (640) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

In my area, there are usually 32, 64 oz growler sizes. Occasionally 128 oz too.

Voted growler (preference to swing tops) because I like that it can be drank over the course of a few days. It is also reusable.

Downside to growlers is remembering to bring them to the brewery, more bulky than crowlers, and not as portable (pool, beach, outdoors).

Downside to crowlers imo is the size limitations, one and done drinking session, and non-reusable.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,545) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I voted for growler since these vessels can be filled by an Alfred Gruber Growler filling station (Sly Fox, Victory, Troegs, Iron Hill,…)

Cheers!

11. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,280) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

Neither, honestly speaking. Forced choice I'd say growler because they can be capped and reusable. If the rules could be fixed such that I could just use my own instead of collecting brewer-specific growlers that I need to remember to bring that would be cool. I stopped getting them when I realized I would eventually have another storage problem.

dcotom, vabeerguy and meefmoff like this.
  12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,382) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I watch the person filling the crowler to see if they take care with the fill. If their fingers go into the can to pick it up, it is a no-go for me. I have seen that in person, and in a video, so it happens.

13. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Definitely crowlers. Typically I'm not sharing 64 oz of beer with anyone, so 32 oz makes much more sense, and the transport of sealed cans is much easier. Beers last longer in crowlers I believe, and I don't have to worry about losing the stupid growler caps! You don't have to clean the crowlers, but I do understand the argument about grolwers being better for the environment. I don't think I've filled a growler up in over a year now.

14. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (174) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Crowlers 100% for me. I like the portability, the longevity, the ease of filling (experienced a lot of foamy, 10 minute growler fills) and storage capability. I also feel the size is just fine for me, being just two pints, unless it's an imperial, then I would share...maybe.

vabeerguy likes this.
  15. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,361) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Depends on what I am doing. If I am taking it home Growler is fine. If I am going out to an event I like a Crowler. I feel they both have their place.

vabeerguy likes this.
  16. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (356) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If I had to pick one, crowlers. They are more convenient to get and easier to ship.

AZBeerDude72 and vabeerguy like this.
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,165) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I like the reusability of the growler, but have had carbonation issues with them, crowlers are king when it comes to sealing issues. A friend hooked me up with a man can, but it doesn't fit in my fridge. That is the ultimate answer, but size is an issue.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  18. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (278) Dec 14, 2016 California

Crowler.

More than once Ive found myself in a situation where a brewer is offering a limited/rare/seasonal beer and while I definitely want to take some home, I dont want to have to drink it within 24 hours. Since the crowler lasts longer, it allows me to bring that sucker home while allowing me a little more freedom in choosing when to crack it open.

bubseymour, beergoot and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  19. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (105) May 15, 2018 Virginia

A properly filled growler lasts well over 24 hrs (like weeks), if unopened. If your growlers are going flat after 24hrs, I'd let the brewery know, cause there is something wrong with their process.

20. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (278) Dec 14, 2016 California

Ive never seen an exact time stamp on those bad boys. Ever person/brewery quotes me a different amount of time so a crowler is just safer for me. Trust issues.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post but Ive also been to more than one brewery where its actually cheaper to buy two 32-ounce crowlers than fill one 64-ounce growler. OR, they dont offer growler fills but will make as many crowlers as you want #math

Junior likes this.
  21. woodchipper

woodchipper Savant (968) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Premium Member

I was torn 50/50. Each have their place. If its going to be a while until I drink the beer, crowlers for sure, just be ready to drink it all or have some help lined up. I prefer growlers if I am going to drink the beer over a few days, but intend to start the same or at most the next day.

Tdizzle likes this.
  22. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (701) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

64oz growler vs 32oz crowler (if that’s the question - that’s the choice at a couple of the places I go to) then I’ll take the crowler purely based on serving size. I only fill 64’s if I’m going to / having a party.

But apples to apples (32 v 32) then definitely a growler. Less wasteful and you can reseal.

I don’t trade, but I imagine crowlers are probably useful / preferred on that front

23. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,390) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I voted crowlers, but more proportion based than format. I try to use my howlers (32oz glass) whenever possible

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  24. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,473) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

I like crowlers when traveling. Some breweries/states don't fill growlers that don't have their label on it. If that's the case, its great if they do crowlers.

Otherwise, I prefer growlers for sustainability but will go either way.

25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,022) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina

I usually only get a 32 oz fill regardless of growler or crowler.

I prefer crowlers but I generally only get them when I am out of town/state (visiting breweries as a part of a vacation) or when I am planning to bring the beer to someplace other than home (on a trip to the beach/to a friends place/etc) to drink and don't want to have to worry about the glassware.

Also crowlers travel much better in the car when packed with all the luggage from the family.

26. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (437) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I prefer growlers to crowlers (have personally never even purchased the latter), but like EMJ above, can't recall the last time I had one filled. Too much other canned/bottled beer to get w/o the "gotta drink this sooooooon" tension.

woodchipper likes this.
  27. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,304) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

I enjoy both really. The size and ease of packing/transporting a crowler is very appealing. However, once it is opened you really have to drink it before it gets warm or spills in the fridge when someone (i.e. drinking me) messes around the fridge.

A growlette or growler I can recap and put back in the fridge to keep cool and go back for more. Obviously they hold more as well but that is also a bit of a con sometimes as bigger makes them harder to store/transport with their size, weight, and glass material.

Both have their ideal situations and for me, right now, I prefer my growlers over crowlers.

woodchipper likes this.
  28. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (350) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'd prefer a crowler, but the only to go cans I've seen around here are pint cans. The only issue is the brewery/taprooms charging the price of a bar room pint for a to go can. I'd rather not pay upwards of 10 dollars for a pint I'm gonna drink at home. Same with growlers. I mostly avoid both unless it's an amazing beer I can't have elsewhere.

29. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,887) Feb 24, 2008 New York

The right tool for the job. Growlers are the go to, but for a hike or anytime glass may be a problem, a Crowler will do.

Oh, wait, they make stainless steel growlers. In three volumes. And in double wall. So when would I use a Crowler?

30. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Disciple (336) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

I prefer crowlers. With there smaller size & ease of transporting it makes it easy to grab 4+ different beers from the brewery to take home. It would be tougher to get 4 growlers home safe & cold. Then finding space for them in the fridge would be an issue.

31. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (815) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

So you’re saying no true Scotsm- I mean, environmentalist can ever purchase a crowler? :thinking_face:

OP, for me it’s crowlers. Lighter, more portable, impermeable to light and oxygen, legal in more places, big enough to share but small enough to solo, uniform filling policies, and safer!

32. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,538) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Crowlers. It's only me so 64 oz of an 8% Dipa is a bit much. If I had a partner to share with Growlers are a bit more price friendly and obviously the volume to share.

33. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I seem to notice many people posting about 64 oz. growlers being too large. Do 750's and 32 oz.ers not exist in other parts of the country? For me the swing top 750 is the perfect growler, what a shame if doesn't exist for some of our members

clake, cjgiant, rozzom and 11 others like this.
  34. Jlabs

Jlabs Champion (828) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I love them both, but if I had to choose..I'd go growler as you can reuse it (i try to be environmentally conscious)

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,538) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I bought a 32 oz Crowlers yesterday and it's perfect. Resident Culture sells 25 oz Crowlers at the brewery, most others are 32oz. The only place I've ever had a 750 swing top is from HF, being NC it's probably a law preventing it.

cavedave likes this.
  36. devilmakesthree

devilmakesthree Disciple (359) Nov 27, 2013 Oregon

For the same reason I prefer kegs to bottles/cans (which, admittedly it is a luxury to have a kegerator), I prefer the growler to the crowler (when I want to switch things up for an evening from the keg). It creates a lot less waste, can hold more beer (64 oz only) and is better for sharing with friends. That being said, if I'm on vacation and want to bring beer back I'll usually take the crowler.

37. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (581) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Crowlers, because if you forgot your growler, you don't have to buy a new one. Or in you're in MA, we don't need to buy a different growler for every brewery you go to.

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,839) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

Growlers, Howlers and Prowlers.

39. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (350) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Growlers, especially swingtop, for the locals you pick up from regularly. Crowlers for places when you are out of town. I'm with @cavedave, it doesn't get much classier than the ol swingtop wine bottle.

cjgiant likes this.
  40. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,390) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

While I agree with the 750 viewpoint, availability or not, I think that “growler” as far as terminology goes equates to 64 oz for pretty much everyone. Maybe I’m wrong, but I call 750 ml flip tops 750s. Not growlers. I know the origins are debated, and there are several theories from the sound the carbonation made, to the arguing between bartenders and patrons (during a tour of the underground lagering cellars in Cincinnati they said it referred to the grumbling employees at the end of the day after wrestling barrels), but it seems that almost all of the stories fall back on the “half gallon pails” that people would take beer home in. Of course it’s hard to tell how much beer was actually in those containers... hence the growling

drtth and Premo88 like this.