American Ales CUDL Buddy - American Brown Ale - All Grain

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by jbakajust1, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Beer Name: CUDL Buddy
    Beer Style: American Brown Ale
    Brew Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: 4.9 in fermenter
    OG: 1.068
    FG: 1.018
    ABV: 6.6%
    IBUs: 47 (Tinseth, adjusted to my system)
    SRM: 21

Efficiency: 63% extract efficiency

Grain Bill:
    12.00# Pale Malt (Great Western) (82.2%)
    0.70# British Carastan – 30/37L (4.8%)
    0.70# Caramel/Crystal Malt – 135/165L (4.8%)
    0.70 # Chocolate Malt, Pale (Crisp) (4.8%)
    0.50# Coconut Sugar (Boil)

Hop Bill:
    FW 1.00oz Chinook 12.00%AA (Homegrown)
    25 Mins 0.50oz Chinook 12.00%AA (Homegrown)
    25 Mins 0.60oz Crystal 6.20%AA (Homegrown)
    25 Mins 1.00oz Willamette 5.60%AA (Homegrown)
    WP 15 Mins 0.50oz Chinook 12.00%AA (Homegrown)
    WP 15 Mins0.70oz Crystal 6.20 %AA (Homegrown)
    WP 15 Mins 0.70oz Willamette 5.60%AA (Homegrown)

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1968 London ESB (1/2 cup Ninkasi slurry)

Water:
    Ca 69, Mg 5, Na 19, Sulfate 47, Chloride 38, Bicarbonate 161.5, pH 5.2
    Gypsum - Mash 3/8 tsp (1.3g)
    Epsom Salts - Mash 3/8 tsp (1.8g)
    Calcium Chloride - Mash 6/8 tsp (2.5g)
    Baking Soda - Mash 3/8 tsp (1.6g)
    Pickling Lime - Mash 1 tsp (2.2g)

Process:
    Mashed @149*F 1 hour, full volume, no sparge. Ran off 6.5 gallons into kettle. Boiled 1 hour with hop additions as scheduled. Hop Stand for 15 mins no chiller. Whirlpool immersion chiller used to chill to 62*F. Racked 4.8 gallons into 6 gallon Better Bottle with 3 shots of foam control; aerated 10 mins with aquarium pump. Pitched 1/2 cup thick slurry from Ninkasi at 1pm; fitted with airlock; signs of fermentation by 6 pm. 2 days 65-66*F, 1 day 68-69*F, 1 day 70-71*F, 10 days 72-73*F. After primary (2 weeks) CO2 Force racked to keg then placed in fridge at 10psi to carbonate for 1 week.

Other Notes:
    1st Place 2014 KLCC Hombrew Comp, Eugene OR, American Ales

2. jbakajust1

Look:
    Pours a clear deep brown with beautiful ruby highlights, thick, dense khaki head that fades slow to a thick cap and leaves ample lacing down the glass.

Aroma:
    Milk chocolate leaps out of the glass first and dominates the nose. Behind the chocolate are spicy and herbal hop notes, toffee, baked bread, ginger, and citrus rind. Nutty yeast. Light fruity esters, and nice spices (even though there are none).

Flavor:
    Chocolate hits the palate first, followed by sweet toffee, pine needles, herbal hops, spices in the finish. Ginger, biscuits, nutty, touch of figs and raisins. Weird how the spices show up when there aren't any in the beer, only hops.

Mouthfeel:
    Medium body, semi-sweet but roasty dry finish, balanced bitterness in the end that asserts itself just enough to keep the sweetness in check and cleanse the palate. Medium carbonation. Smooth beer.

Overall:
    Really hit the nail on the head with the flavor profile I was going for. The chocolate is really nice, but could be dialed back a notch, maybe not though, it is nice in there. The lower than desired efficiency and OG made for a lower ABV than I wanted, could use more alcohol and alcohol warmth in the back end. The spicy character is very enjoyable, and I can't pin it down as to flavors, but seeing as I used no spices in this beer, I am pleased with what the hops and alcohol did here. A little too drinkable, very balanced. Great in the snow.

[​IMG]

3. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

Looks pretty tasty! Any residual flavor from coconut sugar or did it all ferment out?

4. jbakajust1

Coconut sugar didn't give much flavor through all the other stuff. It actually doesn't seem to ferment out all the way. On the 3 beers I have used it in I mashed for good attenuation and added the sugar expecting it to dry it out some, and they all finished higher than I thought they would.

5. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

@jbakajust1 how do you think this would be w/ a coconut dry hop?

6. jbakajust1

@jlordi12 I think coconuts would play well in this beer, honestly. The spicy hops with the malty and chocolaty backbone would pair well with the sweetness of the coconut.

jlordi12 likes this.
  7. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Thanks, I might try to do something similar and add some coconut to the keg.

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

would London dry yeast work or would it attentuate too much and leave it on the drier side? I some of that yeast that I've harvested.

9. jbakajust1

Should work fine. The 1968 I used was a house strain that had mutated to attenuate more than the normal WY strain.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  10. Hogue2112

Hogue2112 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2016 Ohio

Thinking about brewing this up next weekend. Anyone have any updates on the recipe?

Thinking about using a London dry yeast as well.
    WIndsor did wonders on my pumpkin nut brown ale, thinking that this could work out well too!

@jbakajust1 - Concerning your water treatments, is this your standard water out of faucet? - Ca 69, Mg 5, Na 19, Sulfate 47, Chloride 38, Bicarbonate 161.5, pH 5.2

And your additional treatments are stylistic for this beer? E.g. Epsom salts, gypsum, etc.

Thanks much!

11. GetMeAnIPA

The water has to be treated to get that profile with a ph of 5.2. Additions weren't posted probably because the water used will be much differ than yours, so much different minerals addition amounts.

Hogue2112 likes this.
  12. Hogue2112

Hogue2112 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2016 Ohio

I just wanted to verify. I have yet to get way into water treatments, but it is on the list.

13. GetMeAnIPA

I was forced to because my water sucks due to really high sulfate levels. At brew club a guy in my area made an IPA without water treatment and I made a similar one but built my water from RO. The difference was huge as the nine water treated IPA had a harsh and lingering bitterness due to the high sulfate levels.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.