Curbside beer pickups in New England

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by sosbombs, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (544) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

If you're willing to drive a little South of Boston you can hit a bunch of breweries... Widowmaker, Vitamin Sea, Barrel House Z, Stellwagen and Untold Brewing are easy to hit in one drive.

nathanb47, eaglephile and Trumpetguy like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,909) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Damn, super easy! Thanks! You guys are great.

Killer selection too.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  3. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This isn't curbside, but I placed a grocery delivery at Wegman's earlier this week. In scrolling through the beer selection, they had KBS Espresso listed. I thought for sure that would be out of stock but ordered some nonetheless and was pleasantly surprised when it showed up a few hours ago!

4. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (272) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

Exhibit A has a “spend $80, get 15% off” thing going on and, per experimentation, I’ve learned that a case of 8 kolsch, 8 cats meow, 8 porter (their three best beers imo) can be procured for $69 (nice).

I know where I’m going when I need to load up.

5. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Throw on a 15% tip and pony up your 4 Jackson’s.

Newport_beerguy and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (178) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

That beer is what regular KBS wishes it could be. Was really tasty

7. AlcahueteJ

Society

So this got me thinking...there's no IDing going on with delivery right? I haven't encountered it yet at least.

8. Justin42

Trader

instacart scanned my ID. But earlier this week fedex left a box from wine.com in my vestibule

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been ID'd a few times. I just held it up for them.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. mrmattosgood

Trader

Yeah, I've been ID'd every time.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  11. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Actually not too surprised, I recall seeing like 8-10 cases at an endcap in the Westwood Wegmans on my last visit before shit went down.

12. Justin42

Trader

Ah, makes more sense now. I hadn't been to Wegmans in like 6 months and it sold out in Boston before I had a chance to grab any.

13. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (708) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Jack's Abby / Springdale and Exhibit A was pretty easy. Both have curbside pick-up and you can order from the kitchen at JA. JA had a sub- 3% Mild that's pretty good if you're into the style and I think they just released Fire in the Ham. I'm a big fan of Exhibit A's core line up (Goody Two Shoes, Cat's Meow, and Briefcase Porter) and it's super close to JA.

Sheppard, AlcahueteJ and Boomblaze like this.
  14. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,590) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Freshly canned Kiwi Rising too at JA right now.

15. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I was ID'd at Julios.

damn I love me some Kiwi Rising. So much Notch in my fridge though.

Speaking of which, if one were so inclined, Notch isn't checking anything at their pickup. Any joe blow could walk up and take a few cases.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Security cameras?

17. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

At least one in every crowd. smh

18. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (104) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

Fire in the Ham and Kiwi? Fuck... I might need to drive to Framingham, just for old time's sake. Those are classics!!

19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (598) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Am I the only one that loves JA but doesn't care for Kiwi or Mass Rising?

AlcahueteJ and AirBob like this.
  20. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (104) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm not big on Mass Rising. TBH, Kiwi Rising was in the running for my favorite beer EVER years ago in the 16.9oz bottles, but it's a far cry from that beer anymore. The Nelson just doesn't pop like it used to, not for a few years. I still have a soft spot for it, though, and would venture out to grab that and Ham, which I don't think gets much distro anymore.

Jesse14 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  21. jbertsch

Society Trader

I actually think the past couple cannings of kiwi have been great. I do remember a point in the middle where some batches seemed not as good as the original batches.

Fire in the Ham is worth the trek though. My favorite JA beer, and the best rauch I've had that's not from Bamberg.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Society

Hmm. I’ve done a couple curbside pickups at breweries and a liquor store delivery order. Haven’t been ID’d yet. I must be trustworthy or something.

At one brewery I knew the guy though.

Damn a Mild AND a great Rauch? Kiwi is just the cherry on top (different fruit I know).

Is the Mild Springdale?

Yup this is how I feel about these beers. I don’t recall if I used to like Kiwi more before, but out of nostalgia I might grab some. Also, it’s a good change of pace.

Oh yeah, it’s up there for sure. So damn smoky.

I would go so far as to say it’s better than the canned Schlenkerla beers. They’re better in the bottle and on draft.

23. mrmattosgood

Trader

I believe Framingham will be my next move. Smoked beers, milds, house lagahs, and kolschs... yes!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I should have put more words in my post.
    I wasn't saying, "Are there security cameras because if not, I am going up there to steal some beer". I was saying, "Maybe they have security cameras to deter people from stealing beer".

25. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (708) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's a collaboration off JA's pilot system under the Co-Pilot series: https://jacksabby.com/blog/2019/07/introducing-our-test-flight-program/

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,224) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Nelson, itself, was one of, if not, my favorite hop at some point. I don't feel that way anymore and I don't know if it's because of crop variability or inability to scale and produce hops of the same quality, but I think the only Nelson beer I've liked recently is Double Nelson.

followerofmen and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

Society

That beer is fucking divine.

followerofmen and Sheppard like this.
  28. PriorDoubleDark

PriorDoubleDark Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 New Hampshire

Our weekend report on safely purchasing locally produced beer brought us to Portsmouth NH for one last time today (next week we'll spread our wings a bit farther from home.) From the top:

1) Loaded Question Brewing Company - They gladly refilled my LQ growler I bought last weekend, and they had a selection of 5 of their beers in 16oz 4 packs. Very friendly, and it looked as if they had quite a few customers call ahead (based on what I saw lined up on the bar). Good for them - eager to visit their taproom and stay a while, someday.

2) Earth Eagle Brewings - Our only disappointment of the afternoon. We'd purchased a growler a few weeks ago and we understood they'd refill it. We were told today they weren't filling growlers - bummer, since they have an awesome beer on tap only. Oh well, they're not the only show in town.

3) Liar's Bench Brewing - They opened at 2PM today and had a selection of 10 of their beers in 4 packs of pint cans. We walked in to an open air area where they were selling and made our selections. They went out of their way to tell us how much they appreciated our business - very nice touch which will bring us back as one in our party couldn't wait to get home to try one of their offerings and pronounced it "luscious". Is that an accepted BA beer review term?

4) Great Rhythm Brewing Company - Outside of their taproom was a chalkboard listing their available 4 packs and a number to call for ordering. We placed our order and within 30 seconds a GR employee came out smiling with our selections.

Spring has sprung and it was tough to end our sojourn. Good beer is still readily available on the NH Seacoast (and Newburyport). Next week - someplace new...

29. mrmattosgood

Trader

It's that time of the month again: The bi-weekly beer decision. Two weeks ago, it was Notch. Two weeks before that it was a nice little Drizly delivery of Allagash White, Truly Seltzer, and Night Shift Craigerator.

Right now, I'm debating between three trips:

1. Notch, again. The pros, obvious to me. Best lagers in the area, plus I could throw in a NEIPA four-pack for diversity. The cons: Price (pushing around $100 for a case) and distance (45 minutes each way).

2. Night Shift: Pros, lot of diversity, cost is good, and it's a simple 30-minute drive. A bonus is that I actually like their IPAs. Cons, I tend to classify Night Shift beers as being anywhere from pretty good to good. They don't make a single "bad" beer, but they don't have a ceiling -- in my opinion -- as high as Notch or Oxbow or Allagash. This, obviously, is a testament to their consistency more than anything else.

3. Framingham: Pros, I can do a case of a great kolsch, ipa, and porter for under $70 at Exhibit A. I can also swing by Jack's Abby for the go-to 15 pack of House and some Fire in the Ham. Cons, it's fucking far away. An hour each way and Exhibit A's earlier pickup time is 3 pm.

eaglephile, rhino88888888 and MKozaka like this.
  30. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I’ll give you a vote for #1.

#3 is tempting but I hate long drives and the pickup time is too close to actual drinking time.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. mrmattosgood

Trader

#facts

As stated many times, I'm cool with an hour drive (that's about my max for beer at this point) but only when I can stay at the destination for a while and grab lunch, a beer, a snack, something.

AlcahueteJ and SunDevilBeer like this.
  32. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Zealot (585) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Is anyone worried about traveling a fairy long distance, in-state or another state, then being pulled over and told they must quarantine for 14 days?? This is what I'm facing here in NYS. I want to take a trip to Fox Farms and pick up some brews, or even Vermont, but there appears to be 14 day quarantine in place. Just curious how some of you are dealing with this issue.

33. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

How would anything like that be enforceable? Also ... drive the speed limit?

Seriously, cops have more important things to do right now. I think there was an issue in Rhode Island at the beginning of all this with NY plates, but people right now are just trying to figure out a reopening plan.

Those laws were put mostly in place for people going to second homes or traveling to another location on a more permanent basis. I drove from MA to NH the other day to pick up a TV mount. Then drove home. Saw all the signs, but that's really not what the 14-day period is all about.

PA-Michigander likes this.
  34. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I think you can safely cross the border if you’re not staying in state. At least that’s my understanding after speaking with RI state police.

35. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (357) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

My understanding is that the 14 day quarantine only applies to people that are planning on staying in the state, not to those passing through (although this might differ state to state). I've only heard of one story of a Maine statey pulling over a MA plate to ask why they were driving through. I've done curbside twice in Portland. Forty five min each way. No rest stops. All super easy, quick, and contactless.

36. braineater

braineater Initiate (41) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

While I'm never going to deter anyone from loading up at Notch, I'm here to advocate for the Framingham trip. The price break on cases of Goody Two Shoes and Briefcase Porter swayed me to get a case of each, rather than split a case. Jack's Abby offers options that you're not going to get delivered from your local packie, and sweetens the deal by offering prepared food, as well as pantry items you might need.

followerofmen, AlcahueteJ and AirBob like this.
  37. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (668) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Agree, I'm not driving an hour just to pick up beer.

kinopio and AlcahueteJ like this.
  38. jbertsch

Society Trader

I wouldn't normally drive an hour just to pick up beer but I gladly did so for Notch beers this past weekend because OMG GET ME OUT OF THE HOUSE EVEN IF IT'S JUST SITTING IN THE CAR FOR 90 MIN

39. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (128) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I made a run out to Medusa in Hudson and Greater Good in Worcester. I was hoping to hit Medusa and Redemption Rock, but according to their website, Redemption had sold out of cans so I decided to do Medusa + Greater Good.

I've always enjoyed Medusa's German styles and their NERAX offerings, but don't get out there often enough. Looking forward to trying some more of their beers. Super easy pickup with online purchase and online tipping. Bonus points for a wide variety of styles and being able to buy single cans. Their Maibock is tasting pretty good right now.

This will be my first time with Greater Good's beers. They have a form on the website to reserve beers. You pay with a card when you arrive. I got half case.

Made a stop on the way home to share the love with a friend.

And I totally needed two hours in the car listening to the music plus a walk around downtown Hudson. Anything to get out of the house!

40. PriorDoubleDark

PriorDoubleDark Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 New Hampshire

Mid-week beer run (because you can never have too much good beer): We live in Seabrook, next to the old dog track that's now a betting parlor and a place to play Poker. We've found a local haunt called "The City" (very easy off I-95 exit 1). Back when people smoked it was a place to buy cheap NH cigarettes (remember $3 a carton?). They've extended their reach into some decent beer selections, not limited to NH labels. Still, the first 3-4 refrigerator cases you encounter inside are exclusively NH beers. We managed to pick up some Smuttynose Cranberry Ginger Fizz and a 6 of Cigar City (Tampa FL) Margarita Gose. The Smutty is OK; the Cigar City is delicious.

NH beer rates up there. It may not have the cachet or reputation of fellow Northern New England states VT and ME, but it certainly holds its own against stiff local competition. Or maybe not - what do you think?

rhino88888888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.